Don Hertzfeldt

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Quot

Re: Don Hertzfeldt

#26 Post by Quot » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:50 am

Don Hertzfeldt wrote:2,343
backers

$125,223
pledged of $30,000 goal

days to go

Luke M

#27 Post by Luke M » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:46 pm

Well then.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#28 Post by swo17 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:48 pm

another stretch goal has fallen and today BILLY'S BALLOON will be joining its friends on blu-ray....

stretch goal # 5 and the next mystery short film will be added to the disc at $150k

in other news we've added a few more books and art prints into the tiers that had run out & you are all now getting closer to unlocking the mystery tier where i will make this cat available:
one cat: used, but all original parts. frequently dreams of flying

Luke M

#29 Post by Luke M » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:56 pm

It's likely the "secret thing that cannot be announced" is The Simpsons gag, right?

knives

#30 Post by knives » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:03 pm

That's what I'm assuming since that's the only old thing that might have funny rights stuff with it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#31 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:01 pm

The campaign just hit $150K and Wisdom Teeth has now been added to the Blu-ray as a result. I've also updated the first post of this thread to show DVD availability for Hertzfeldt's entire filmography, which will give a feel for how close this is to becoming a "complete works" set (although donations have slowed down recently to the point that it might only hit one or two more stretch goals).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#32 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:33 pm

Hertzfeldt Kickstarter wrote:hey everyone! we've just sailed past $150,000 and as punishment WISDOM TEETH will now be added to the blu-ray! i'm so sorry about this

stretch goal # 6 and the next short film on the disc is set for $175,000! with only 8 days to go, we're gonna need everyone's help to get there :<>

please remind your deadbeat friends, this is their very last week to sign up for a blu-ray before there's only rare, overpriced copies available on e-bay from weird basement dwellers with wet hands and lingering stares who refer to things as "VG+ condition." this collection will never be available at their local walmart unless i guess someone walks inside the walmart with a copy and just sort of leaves it on the floor

zedz

#33 Post by zedz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:40 pm

swo17 wrote:The campaign just hit $150K and Wisdom Teeth has now been added to the Blu-ray as a result. I've also updated the first post of this thread to show DVD availability for Hertzfeldt's entire filmography, which will give a feel for how close this is to becoming a "complete works" set (although donations have slowed down recently to the point that it might only hit one or two more stretch goals).
That's so breathtakingly close that he should at least include the stray early films in SD (since they've already come out of DVD). C'mon Don, don't make us harm that adorable cat!

eerik

#34 Post by eerik » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:59 pm

Don't know why I learned about this just today. Will definitely back it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#35 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:03 pm

swo17 wrote:
Hertzfeldt Kickstarter wrote:please remind your deadbeat friends, this is their very last week to sign up for a blu-ray before there's only rare, overpriced copies available on e-bay from weird basement dwellers with wet hands and lingering stares who refer to things as "VG+ condition."
I just realized that I have wet hands and a lingering stare, and went ahead and set up another account in order to pledge again. It never hurts to have a safety copy. And it's still only $20 for the Blu-ray despite the content being much richer now than when the campaign started.

Calvin

Don Hertzfeldt

#36 Post by Calvin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:25 pm

I pledged $140 for the print. Hopefully, regardless of the final amount, he tries to get the remaining shorts on there. For just over $40k, Arrow managed to restore Borowczyk's Goto plus 7 additional shorts so I'm not convinced that it takes $25k to restore the 5 minute Wisdom Teeth alone. Though I'll concede that some of that will inevitably go towards production costs of the Blu-Ray and rewards.

Raymond Marble

#37 Post by Raymond Marble » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:26 pm

Anybody else notice that he's already sold more than 3000 copies of the blu-ray through this campaign alone? I wonder how Twilight Time feels about that.

Luke M

#38 Post by Luke M » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:28 am

Twilight Time could sell 3000 copies of all of their releases if they priced them at $20.

Adam X

#39 Post by Adam X » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:48 am

Calvin wrote:For just over $40k, Arrow managed to restore Borowczyk's Goto plus 7 additional shorts so I'm not convinced that it takes $25k to restore the 5 minute Wisdom Teeth alone. Though I'll concede that some of that will inevitably go towards production costs of the Blu-Ray and rewards.
Don Hertzfeldt wrote:On top of funding the bluray, and maybe more importantly, your $ will go towards funding our future films, with no distributors or third parties between us.
Aside from restoration and production, I'd say this is where the rest of the money is going, and that the $25,000 gap between each stretch goal is just to drive that amount higher, rather than necessarily needing $25,000 to restore each short. But maybe he's had the negatives propping up that dodgy leg on his work bench for the last decade.

eerik

#40 Post by eerik » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:10 am

Calvin wrote:I pledged $140 for the print. Hopefully, regardless of the final amount, he tries to get the remaining shorts on there. For just over $40k, Arrow managed to restore Borowczyk's Goto plus 7 additional shorts so I'm not convinced that it takes $25k to restore the 5 minute Wisdom Teeth alone. Though I'll concede that some of that will inevitably go towards production costs of the Blu-Ray and rewards.
Arrow is a farily big and experienced label/distributor with the know-how, connections and infrastructure to carry out these things. And surely there were additional sources for funding outside Kickstarter, no? This here is essentialy just one guy with his own filmography. Plus, that's not really how Kickstarter stretch goals work, that $25k also has to cover all the additional rewards. And it's always better to ask for more money to make sure you can actually fulfill all the promises and not run out of money while doing it. There are plenty of Kickstarter projects that have overpromised and underdelivered.

jazzo

#41 Post by jazzo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:35 pm

From what I understand, a portion of the Kickstarter funding is going to be allocated to the production of future animated projects, as well.

eerik

#42 Post by eerik » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Sent in my pledge. Apparently shipping costs ($14 in my case) are also counted towards the goal. Didn't know that before as my previous Kickstarter backings have been for digital rewards (video games Yooka-Laylee and Shenmue III), but it just confirms my earlier point: $25k pledged doesn't mean it is a $25k that can completely go towards the restorations. That being said, I too hope the pledged money will be enough to cover the inclusion of even more shorts than currently promised.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#43 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:29 pm

hey hey we've just rocketed past $175k which means please welcome student film LILY AND JIM to the blu-ray!

we're in the final 72 hours of the fundraiser now and y'all have blown the doors off this campaign. this campaign has no doors. breezes fly freely throughout the campaign and strange cats wander in and out.

i'm not actually sure how many additional things we can realistically fit onto this disc at this point so i don't want to introduce a final stretch goal just yet until i do some investigating! but rest assured if we actually hit $200k in these final hours, we'll be fancying up the release one last time in some way. for instance, i am already pleased to announce that the discs will now be scented, and flavored blurayberry.
Oh c'mon Don, the remaining films only come to 15 minutes in total!

D50

#44 Post by D50 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:11 pm

Backed.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#45 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:53 pm

Just under 24 hours left and the campaign has already stormed through the $200K mark. If this doesn't become a "complete works" set, I'm going to start taking hostages.

The Narrator Returns

#46 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:05 pm

The Complete Works of Don Hertzfeldt from 1997-2015, Not Including the Animation Show Segments

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#47 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:06 pm

Is there any reason it couldn't include those?

The Narrator Returns

#48 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:19 pm

swo17 wrote:Is there any reason it couldn't include those?
Don Hertzfeldt wrote:i straight-up can't locate any of the elements for the "animation show" cartoons that i did back in 2003: my negatives, dupe negatives, IPs, everything is just weirdly gone. i've been contacting vaults and old labs and nobody has information... i simply don't know what the animation show did with it all. hopefully they're safe somewhere but it's still a mystery. i have here two rather beat-up release prints of the "intermission in the third dimension" segment, we just screened one of them in vienna last month, but i am now thinking that maybe these should be in permanent refrigeration.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#49 Post by swo17 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:39 pm

Other comments of interest from the latest update:
officially, this will be an it's such a beautiful day blu-ray. the shorts will be extras, with world of tomorrow having a prominent presence...

a "totally everything"-disc is easier said than done, so let's lower those hopes a little. we'll keep you posted as things move along here but i doubt we'll be announcing new titles, extras, or bonuses soon... i have a lot of ideas and there's lots of things that still need to be figured out and some of it should also probably remain a surprise, right?

knives

#50 Post by knives » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:00 am

It's incredibly sad such a new film is essentially lost it seems.