Tim Burton

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Belmondo

Re: Sweeney Todd

#26 Post by Belmondo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:32 pm

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:Specs:
Paramount Home Entertainment has announced 1-disc and 2-disc special editions of the Tim Burton directed Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street which stars Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. The film itself will be presented in anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. The only extra feature on the 1-disc release will be a Burton + Depp + Carter = Todd featurette. The 2-disc will include that, along with 8 additional featurettes (Sweeney Todd is Alive: The Real History of the Demon Barber, Musical Mayhem: Sondheim's Sweeney Todd, Sweeney's London, The Making of Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Grand Guignol: A Theatrical Tradition, Designs for a Demon Barber, A Bloody Business, and The Razor's Refrain), a Moviefone Unscripted with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp feature, a Sweeney Todd Press Conference, a photo gallery, and the trailer.

Also available from the 1st April will be a HD DVD release of the film. This will include a high-definition widescreen presentation, along with 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus, and 5.1 Dolby TrueHD tracks. All of the 2-disc extras will be included.
Got an early opportunity to view the two disc set, and, although I strongly recommend a purchase, the single disc edition is all you need.

The single disc includes the movie and a featurette running almost half an hour in which we hear from Burton, Sondheim and the cast. It is quite good and provides the extra measure needed to deepen your enjoyment of the film.

Disc two (in my opinion), only serves to dull the pleasure and adds nothing. It includes a long and rather tedious feature on "The Real History of the Demon Barber", which does manage to prove that Sweeney Todd is an entirely fictional figure traced back to the "penny dreadful" novels of the 1840's. This is followed by "Sweeney's London" which does its best to contradict this by assuming the character is real and taking us to actual street locations and likely settings.
There are also the usual featurettes on costumes and set design, and a press conference with director and stars containing insipid questions and comparitively intelligent answers.
I was not able to view "Musical Mayhem" in which Sondheim discusses the Broadway show. Even if it is good, I'm not sure it is enough to make the bonus disc in any way essential.

dx23

#27 Post by dx23 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:41 pm

According to highdefdiscnews.com, the National Treasure 2 BR has an ad promoting an upcoming Nightmare Before Christmas on Blu Ray coming this fall.

manicsounds

Re: Sweeney Todd

#28 Post by manicsounds » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:21 am

So far, I've actually liked the bonus features on Sweeney Todd. The featurettes were well made and not just floating head EPK type stuff.

Maybe it's just me. I still recommend the 2-disc for those interested.

As for the NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, they have said "all new bonus features" and "remastered video and audio" as a 2-disc DVD as well. I certainly hope the laserdisc stuff is on there too.

Fletch F. Fletch

#29 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue May 27, 2008 10:33 am

Beetlejuice gets the "Deluxe Edition" treatment? Blech...
Warner Home Video has announced a 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of Beetlejuice which stars Michael Keaton, Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis and Winona Ryder. The Tim Burton film will be available to own from the 16th September, and should retail at around $19.96. A Blu-ray release will also be available for $34.99. As well as a newly remastered presentation, the DVD will also include three Beetlejuice cartoons (A-Ha, Skeletons In The Closet, Spooky Boo-tique) from the successful TV series which was produced by Burton and David Geffen and ran for four successful seasons.

tavernier

#30 Post by tavernier » Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am

Packaged in a new eye-popping lenticular o-sleeve
Sold!

Jean-Luc Garbo

#31 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue May 27, 2008 1:29 pm

The Beetlejuice cartoons - woo hoo! :roll: Eh, at least they're making the effort. I had no idea it ran for four seasons, though. I'd rather watch this movie than Scissorhands. A commentary would be nice.

Fletch F. Fletch

#32 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue May 27, 2008 1:33 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:The Beetlejuice cartoons - woo hoo! :roll: Eh, at least they're making the effort. I had no idea it ran for four seasons, though. I'd rather watch this movie than Scissorhands. A commentary would be nice.
Or some deleted scenes. I still have an old ish of Cinefantastique that features stills from cut footage.

Antoine Doinel

#33 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue May 27, 2008 1:40 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:The Beetlejuice cartoons - woo hoo! :roll: Eh, at least they're making the effort. I had no idea it ran for four seasons, though. I'd rather watch this movie than Scissorhands. A commentary would be nice.
I like the BeetleJuice cartoons :oops:

Jean-Luc Garbo

#34 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue May 27, 2008 2:05 pm

I can still remember phlegmonade and Napoleon Bonesapart. It was such a twisted show. I should have been clearer that the inclusion of the cartoons seemed half-hearted, but at least they're testing the water. I still don't see the film as really a kiddie flick so I'd like to know how Geffen thought they could market a cartoon.

Fletch F. Fletch

#35 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:19 am

Specs for the new Collector's Edition of Nightmare Before Christmas:
Disney Home Video has announced a 2-disc collector's edition of The Nightmare Before Christmas for release on the 26th August. The film will be presented in 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. Extras will include a commentary by producer and writer Tim Burton, director Henry Selick and composer Danny Elfman, some deleted scenes, a storyboard to film comparison, a Jack's Haunted Mansion Holiday Tour, Burton’s original poem narrated by Christopher Lee, a making of featurette, another featurette on the world of Nightmare Before Christmas, original trailers and posters, the complete short film Vincent, and a digital copy of the film. Retail will be $32.99.

Additionally, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment is also offering Nightmare buffs the opportunity to purchase a limited release of the Ultimate Collector’s Edition DVD Set featuring an individually numbered hand-painted bust of Jack Skellington in all his gory glory equipped with a Jack’s “Sandy Claws” hat and beard, a sound chip that plays memorable lines from the film and a letter of authenticity. Retail will be $179.99. A Blu-ray release will also be available for $39.99 with an exclusive Introduction by Tim Burton.
Artwork.

starmanof51

#36 Post by starmanof51 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:Specs for the new Collector's Edition of Nightmare Before Christmas:
So does anyone else feel that this has been spun over the years into Un Film De Tim Burton and Selick successfully marginalized?

Highway 61

#37 Post by Highway 61 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:41 pm

Not really. It's official title has always been Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, which was a choice made by Disney to better market what was for them an unconventional movie. Burton himself seems honest about the collaborative nature of some of his films, admitting, for instance, that he hired Caroline Thompson to write Edward Scissorhands from his poems and sketches because he's not a good writer.

Dylan

#38 Post by Dylan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:20 am

Looks like the commentary is new (the previous commentary was with Selick and DP Pete Kozachik, and is nowhere to be found). The documentaries all appear to be new. Years ago I used to have a VHS tape of the laserdisc features (about 1/3 of which were sloppily edited into the previous DVD making-of), which were rather elaborate (including Selick's MTV short Slow Bob in the Lower Dimensions, as well as all of his MTV and Liquid Television bumpers). Gone is Frankenweenie, but I've heard that Disney plans to produce a feature length stop-motion version, so I'd assume they're waiting to put it on the inevitable DVD of that film.

The insane popularity and incessant fad have some diminished this film for me (especially since I more-than clearly remember being the only kid in my middle school who liked it - ten years ago), but the animation and overall design really is gorgeous, and for me this really does have the best music from any musical ever (with only Umbrellas of Cherbourg to compete with). Elfman was in an astonishing genius mode when penning the song and score, and his work here amazes me to no end.

The Beetlejuice release is in theory more exciting, but there's no extras? Not even the isolated music track of Elfman's glorious score is ported over from the previous release. And Fletch is right, there were a number of deleted scenes, some with completed visual effects (including an additional sandworm scene with stop-motion). And I'd sure like a Burton/Elfman commentary for this, as well as a retrospective documentary with the cast/crew. At least it will probably look better than it ever has, but still... hardly worth the wait.

Regarding Selick, I remember when Monkeybone was being marketing as "From the Director of Nightmare Before Christmas," and how everybody thought it was a Burton film. Monkeybone really is one of the more interesting failures of the decade, with a very strange, almost tragic post-production where Fox and Chris Columbus took Selick's 120 minute rough cut and awkwardly tried to turn what was undeniably a "Henry Selick film" into an 80 minute variant of Dude Where's My Car. It ended up being one of the biggest box office disasters of all time ($80 million budget and $20 million "Dude" marketing and a whopping $5 million gross). I think it's pretty fun despite the obvious studio intrusion (I'd rather see more films like this as opposed to anything by Apatow).

His next film, eight years after Monkeybone, will be coming out early next year, Coraline, and apparently he has complete creative control this time.

Fletch F. Fletch

#39 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:30 am

Dylan wrote:Looks like the commentary is new (the previous commentary was with Selick and DP Pete Kozachik, and is nowhere to be found). The documentaries all appear to be new. Years ago I used to have a VHS tape of the laserdisc features (about 1/3 of which were sloppily edited into the previous DVD making-of), which were rather elaborate (including Selick's MTV short Slow Bob in the Lower Dimensions, as well as all of his MTV and Liquid Television bumpers). Gone is Frankenweenie, but I've heard that Disney plans to produce a feature length stop-motion version, so I'd assume they're waiting to put it on the inevitable DVD of that film.
Yeah, I'm holding on to my previous DVD edition of Nightmare Before XMas for this very reason.
The Beetlejuice release is in theory more exciting, but there's no extras? Not even the isolated music track of Elfman's glorious score is ported over from the previous release. And Fletch is right, there were a number of deleted scenes, some with completed visual effects (including an additional sandworm scene with stop-motion). And I'd sure like a Burton/Elfman commentary for this, as well as a retrospective documentary with the cast/crew. At least it will probably look better than it ever has, but still... hardly worth the wait.
Agreed. WB really dropped the ball on this one. Beetlejuice is one my fave Burton films of all time and it's a shame that they aren't giving it more love.
Regarding Selick, I remember when Monkeybone was being marketing as "From the Director of Nightmare Before Christmas," and how everybody thought it was a Burton film. Monkeybone really is one of the more interesting failures of the decade, with a very strange, almost tragic post-production where Fox and Chris Columbus took Selick's 120 minute rough cut and awkwardly tried to turn what was undeniably a "Henry Selick film" into an 80 minute variant of Dude Where's My Car. It ended up being one of the biggest box office disasters of all time ($80 million budget and $20 million "Dude" marketing and a whopping $5 million gross). I think it's pretty fun despite the obvious studio intrusion (I'd rather see more films like this as opposed to anything by Apatow).
Yeah, that's how I feel about Ralph Bakshi's Cool World, which got totally ruined by studio interference and basically became a PG-13 version of what he originally intended to be an R rated film. I would have loved to see his original vision realized but, obviously, it's never gonna happen.

LightBulbFilm

#40 Post by LightBulbFilm » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:37 am

Dylan wrote:The insane popularity and incessant fad have some diminished this film for me (especially since I more-than clearly remember being the only kid in my middle school who liked it - ten years ago), but the animation and overall design really is gorgeous, and for me this really does have the best music from any musical ever (with only Umbrellas of Cherbourg to compete with). Elfman was in an astonishing genius mode when penning the song and score, and his work here amazes me to no end.
I know exactly how you feel, I went to a private middle school and every other kid didn't care for the film and the teachers looked down at it. At the time it was my favorite film and two years later I break into high school and every Joe Schmoe is wearing something with Jack's skull on it and it definitely took a little bit of the magic away from it for me. I still love the film but it just doesn't give me the same feeling when I pop it in to the ol' DVD player. The attachment to the goth and emo culture definitely took away from the film and how I felt about it.

beamish13

#41 Post by beamish13 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:10 am

I'm peeved that Disney isn't including Burton's legendary "Hansel and Gretel" short made for the Disney channel ("Nightmare" was originally conceived as being a half-hour long companion piece for it). I assume that Burton has veto power over using the short, but it's incredibly disappointing, as you can't even find STILLS of that film anywhere.

Zumpano

#42 Post by Zumpano » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:27 am

beamish13 wrote:I'm peeved that Disney isn't including Burton's legendary "Hansel and Gretel" short made for the Disney channel ("Nightmare" was originally conceived as being a half-hour long companion piece for it). I assume that Burton has veto power over using the short, but it's incredibly disappointing, as you can't even find STILLS of that film anywhere.
According to IMDB, "Hansel and Gretel" was made in 1982. And "Vincent" was originally its companion piece when shown on the Disney Channel.

beamish13

#43 Post by beamish13 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:46 pm

Zumpano wrote:
beamish13 wrote:I'm peeved that Disney isn't including Burton's legendary "Hansel and Gretel" short made for the Disney channel ("Nightmare" was originally conceived as being a half-hour long companion piece for it). I assume that Burton has veto power over using the short, but it's incredibly disappointing, as you can't even find STILLS of that film anywhere.
According to IMDB, "Hansel and Gretel" was made in 1982. And "Vincent" was originally its companion piece when shown on the Disney Channel.
Correct, but "Nightmare" was supposed to be a cheap, five-figure budget production for the infant channel as well.

beamish13

#44 Post by beamish13 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:50 pm

Selick's "Slow Bob" would've been a great bonus, too, and I wonder who owns the rights to it. Selick really is a staggering talent. His student films, like "Seepage", which played at New York's Museum of Modern Art a year or two ago, are incredible amalgamations of many different kinds of animation techniques.

4LOM

#45 Post by 4LOM » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:51 pm

You can see a picture of the "individually numbered hand-painted bust of Jack Skellington" over here.

hearthesilence

Re: Tim Burton on DVD

#46 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:55 pm

I may have to revisit Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. When it was released, I saw it in a mall in a suburb of Chicago - it was a packed theater with mostly high school and college age kids, and not only did I enjoy it, the crowd actually applauded at the end. When I moved to New York, I was pleasantly surprised that applause was a common occurrence at almost every notable screening I went to, but it certainly was not when I was living in Illinois.

Michael Wilmington in the Tribune and Jonathan Rosenbaum in the Reader both loved it and considered it superior to the Disney film, partly because it wasn't as sentimental, and at the time I agreed, but I rarely see the previous film's legion of fans praising Burton's adaptation.

Just last year, Rosenbaum wrote another quick review, writing that it was "Burton’s masterpiece to date, both for its wealth of free-flowing invention and its superb architecture (both as a film and as a triumph of set design)."

The Blu-Ray is supposedly awful - the heavy CGI look was never that appealing but the DNR on the transfer looks especially bad with a smooth, waxy texture over everything. It looks like the HD clips on YouTube may come from the same source, but regardless, I still enjoy the wicked humor of Burton's adaptation, it seems to take even more pleasure in dispatching the bratty kids.

hearthesilence

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (Mel Stuart, 1971)

#47 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:23 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:And if we're going with childhood favorites, I even went to see Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the weekend it opened - and I don't think I'm alone in thinking it was completely awful and wondering why he could've possibly found fault with the existing film adaptation, but was it a sacred cow because of my own childhood nostalgia? Of course not. Remake away. If the original film really is as great as one remembers, a remake can't possibly sully its legacy.
Hah, I actually prefer Burton's remake, in a lot of ways I think it's a better representation of the spirit of the book. I don't dislike the older film, Wilder is excellent, but I was never really a fan either and never bought into any nostalgia for it thrown upon me.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Ghostbusters (Paul Feig, 2016)

#48 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:36 pm

I think it's a prime example of an adaptation being smart about what to keep and what to change from its source material to make itself more cinematic. The whole Slugworth invention, the groovy 70s aesthetic, and particularly the almost otherworldly setting (when I was a child I had no frame of reference to where this movie was set, where there were people with all sorts of accents in these old fashioned homes, and it felt more magical than scattershot [still does]) work extremely well in my eyes, where Burton's film was very careful to take the book very literally, and abandoned a lot of charm in the process. The warmth of Wilder's Wonka was sorely missing from Depp's interpretation. But it's been years since I saw the Burton one. Just never been a believer in a film needing to be in lock step with the book it's an adaptation of - quite the contrary, if anything.

hearthesilence

#49 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:59 pm

I agree with that general idea of adapting any published material, but I wasn't so taken by what the older film did - nothing wrong with what they did, but I preferred the tone of the later film, which to me had a very-welcome darker edge, and that's something I always loved about Dahl's work. The comeuppances for each rotten child came off nastier and more vicious in the way they were shown - the squirrels alone were brilliantly done.

colinr0380

#50 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:12 pm

I'd add the Fry and the Slurm Factory episode of Futurama as one of the more amusing recent Willy Wonka adaptations - "Hey, look! Those disgusting little men are starting to sing!"