Jacques Rivette

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Jacques Rivette

#1276 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:31 pm

I was delighted to get a good-looking Joan the Maid -- but shocked that the release was so barebones.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1277 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:29 pm

Céline and Julie Go Boating will have its first-ever American release on the Criterion Channel May 28 alongside Paris Belongs to Us and La Belle Noiseuse

senseabove

#1278 Post by senseabove » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:48 am

Finally took a day to watch Rivette's excellent Joan the Maid, and I'm even more annoyed at Cohen for how little effort they're putting into their cache of Rivette licenses.

The subtitles are terrible, almost entirely obfuscating any subtlety in the language, frequently using simple word-for-word translations that make little to no sense in English, as if translated by a native French speaker who thinks they know English. There are simple non-native mistakes like asking someone, about their hair, "when was the last time you combed them?", but all too often more ridiculous mistakes like just leaving out words: at one point a woman comments that Joan's armor must hurt, and the subtitles have her response as "What hurts is not being there" for "What hurts is it not being there." The most succinctly egregious example of this sloppiness is perhaps when Joan is accused of making "arguments spécieux," which the subtitles translate as "spacious arguments."

I sincerely hope this and the rest of the Rivette restorations get a UK release from someone who gives one half a shit.

headacheboy

#1279 Post by headacheboy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:40 pm

senseabove wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:48 am
Finally took a day to watch Rivette's excellent Joan the Maid, and I'm even more annoyed at Cohen for how little effort they're putting into their cache of Rivette licenses.
senseabove, I'm with you on this. I just watched Peppermint Soda yesterday on Criterion Channel and it is a Cohen title. There were misspellings and incoherent sentences that made little sense. I was equally frustrated with Joan The Maid which I bought. I'm already not buying Kino; crap, does one not buy Cohen titles that require subtitles?

feihong

#1280 Post by feihong » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:50 pm

Growing up with Hong Kong movies and their often bizarre English subtitles, this kind of thing leaves me a little nonplussed.

But didn't Cohen plan to release L'amour Fou at some point? It seems like that may have fizzled out.

senseabove

#1281 Post by senseabove » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:50 pm

Upthread, there's some indication that a restoration and release of L'Amour Fou is in the works, but nothing concrete and no ties to Cohen that I've seen.

Cohen do have the US rights to these ten, with a * for titles they've released on disc and † for ones with restorations that have had limited theatrical presentations:
Love on the Ground (1984)
Wuthering Heights (1985)
The Gang of Four (1989)†
La Belle Noiseuse (1991)*
Divertimento (1992)
Joan the Maid: Part 1 – The Battles (1994)*
Joan the Maid: Part 2 – The Prisons (1994)*
Up, Down, Fragile (1995)
Top Secret (1998)
The Story of Marie and Julien (2003)

Plus three early Rivette shorts:
Aux Quatre Coins (1949) †
La Quadrille (1950) †
La Divertissement (1952) †

senseabove

#1282 Post by senseabove » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:59 pm

And my background being in literature, a lot of it translated and a lot of it poetry, makes me especially irritated by the flippancy with which translated subtitles are typically treated. It's a pet peeve... I'm used to a norm of translators who take especial care to carry over the subtlety, consistency, and consideration in the original. It baffles me that, for movies, subtitles are often treated as if they're secondary, almost inconsequential, as if plot and image are the only thing we need bother with.

This was just an especially egregious case because it's obvious they didn't have an English speaker even glance over the subtitles for grammatical sense, much less sync them to the movie to make sure they make sense in context. And it's like that for 6 hours...

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1283 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:35 pm

That's really disappointing to hear. That kind of thing really annoys me too.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#1284 Post by soundchaser » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:45 pm

The 4K restoration of Gang of Four is up on Amazon Prime, for anyone with access to the Cohen Media Channel. Not sure what's taking them so long to get it out on Blu-Ray.

Noiretirc

#1285 Post by Noiretirc » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:51 pm

headacheboy wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:40 pm
senseabove wrote:
senseabove, I'm with you on this. I just watched Peppermint Soda yesterday on Criterion Channel and it is a Cohen title. There were misspellings and incoherent sentences that made little sense. I was equally frustrated with Joan The Maid which I bought. I'm already not buying Kino; crap, does one not buy Cohen titles that require subtitles?
I won't be getting Joan The Maid on Cohen, based on what I read here (and at Amazon) regarding the subtitling. But what did I miss about Kino? (Pont du Nord)

senseabove

#1286 Post by senseabove » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:13 pm

I'd assume headacheboy was just referring to Kino's general lack of QC, not to anything specifically wrong with any of their Rivette discs.

hearthesilence

#1287 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:32 pm

senseabove wrote:

The subtitles are terrible, almost entirely obfuscating any subtlety in the language, frequently using simple word-for-word translations that make little to no sense in English, as if translated by a native French speaker who thinks they know English. There are simple non-native mistakes like asking someone, about their hair, "when was the last time you combed them?", but all too often more ridiculous mistakes like just leaving out words: at one point a woman comments that Joan's armor must hurt, and the subtitles have her response as "What hurts is not being there" for "What hurts is it not being there." The most succinctly egregious example of this sloppiness is perhaps when Joan is accused of making "arguments spécieux," which the subtitles translate as "spacious arguments."

I sincerely hope this and the rest of the Rivette restorations get a UK release from someone who gives one half a shit.
Have you tried emailing Cohen? Maybe even Gavin Smith, though you'd think he'd notice and complain. They do have good people working for them, so it's baffling shit like this can happen.

MichaelB

Jacques Rivette

#1288 Post by MichaelB » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:53 am

That reminds me of cleaning up the subtitles on the big Taviani Brothers interview for the Arrow box from the Cohen-supplied ones.

There wasn’t anything technically wrong with the translation, as it happens - it was both in perfectly idiomatic English and a broadly accurate rendition of the original Italian - but it became pretty clear fairly early on that the translator wasn’t a cinephile.

For instance, at one point one of the Tavianis refers to “Rossellini’s film about the doctors”, which had me wondering what film he could be talking about - and I eventually gleaned from the context that it must be 1972’s miniseries L'età di Cosimo de' Medici, which isn’t about doctors, but is about the Medici family. The Italian for “doctors” is “medici”, plural of “medico”.

Orlac

#1289 Post by Orlac » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:04 am

It's a dub rather than a subtitle, but I love this one from Night of the Bloody Apes - "‘I’ll say that’s absurd. The proofs are circumstantial. It’s more probable that of late, more and more you’re watching on your television, many of those pictures of terror.’"

JSC

#1290 Post by JSC » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:53 am

I really wasn't that put out by the subtitles. Yes, they were occasionally garbled and I have enough
working knowledge of French to know when they were off, but I don't think you should refrain from
getting Joan the Maid on that issue alone. I thought it was a good restoration, and there probably
won't be another stateside release of it anytime soon.

And yes, I agree. There should be quality control when it comes to subtitling, but I can still remember
when subtitles were not only burnt in, but often reduced (usually to cut down on expense) to a few basic
sentences to explain the essence of the dialogue in a scene rather than capture every nuance of the language.

The first time I saw Antonioni's L'eclisse it was a third-generation VHS dub of a bad print with poor
subtitles and I was still blown away by the film (although admittedly Antonioni's films are not quite as
dialogue heavy as others).

Even so, I tend to count my blessings to some extent.

Noiretirc

#1291 Post by Noiretirc » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:24 pm

Yes, I might reconsider. After carefully going through this thread one comes to the realization that perfect editions of all these films is a pipedream.

Noiretirc

#1292 Post by Noiretirc » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:57 pm

senseabove wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:13 pm
I'd assume headacheboy was just referring to Kino's general lack of QC, not to anything specifically wrong with any of their Rivette discs.
Unless I missed something in other threads, the Studio Canal release of La Religieuse was a disaster on the colour grading front, and then Kino simply repeated it soon after?

hearthesilence

#1293 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:13 pm

Noiretirc wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:57 pm
senseabove wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:13 pm
Unless I missed something in other threads, the Studio Canal release of La Religieuse was a disaster on the colour grading front, and then Kino simply repeated it soon after?
Correct. Thoroughly awful, revisionist color timing.

the__projectionist

#1294 Post by the__projectionist » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:05 am

New restorations of Up, Down, Fragile and Secret Defense will be getting a DVD/Blu-ray release from Potemkine in France, on June 15.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1295 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:51 am

No English subs, I suppose?

I could have sworn there was supposed to be a deluxe, extras-laden French release of Joan the Maid. I wonder whatever happened to this?

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#1296 Post by soundchaser » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:51 am

FINALLY — hopefully Cohen releases aren’t too far behind, but I’m happy to import these in the meantime.

furbicide

#1297 Post by furbicide » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:32 pm

Amazing news! No word on the Potemkine site re: English subtitles, but most of their releases (with a few very notable exceptions) don't have them:

https://store.potemkine.fr/dvd/34532778 ... s-fragile/

Up, Down, Fragile is one of my absolute favourite Rivette films, so I'm also quite tempted to get hold of this regardless.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1298 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:04 pm

I have the Arte DVD of Haut bas fragile (from the old Rivette box set) -- which looks pretty good.

furbicide

#1299 Post by furbicide » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:12 am

Confirmed via Potemkine rep: no English subtitles on the Up, Down, Fragile disc. :(

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1300 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:15 am

These will undoubtedly be announced by Cohen soon, no need to shed those tears!