Martin Scorsese

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
jazzo

Re: Martin Scorsese

#426 Post by jazzo » Wed May 12, 2021 1:21 pm

I was in the audience for the taping, and my wife and I both considered it a magical experience. I hope it materializes for the rest of the world someday

jazzo

#427 Post by jazzo » Wed May 12, 2021 1:26 pm

therewillbeblus

#428 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed May 12, 2021 1:31 pm

Yeah I read that, and wouldn't be surprised if the plan all along was to release it side-by-side with the SCTV catalogue so that viewers could transition to ingest the show. If they couldn't secure the rights to the show, it also might seem like a trivial investment for Netflix, to have viewers to watch the doc and then desire to seek out the show and not be able to access it via their platform. So maybe they're still holding out, or maybe they're just not prioritizing it because they failed to get the series, or maybe Scorsese is too busy and doesn't want to keep editing it.

flyonthewall2983

#429 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:57 pm

Did he use “The End” by The Doors in one of his early films?

Mr. Deltoid

#430 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:01 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:57 pm
Did he use “The End” by The Doors in one of his early films?
Who's That Knocking At My Door.

Mr Sheldrake

#431 Post by Mr Sheldrake » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:26 am

Nice tributes to Scorsese on his 80th birthday from fellow directors
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/ ... ctor-alive

tolbs1010

#432 Post by tolbs1010 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:47 am

Very enjoyable read. Thanks.

It's telling that not one of these Directors, some of whom are fairly young, reference anything Scorsese has made in this century. And I wouldn't either. I still go see his new films in the theater, but my excitement/anticipation continues to wane with each one that comes out. Hugo is my favorite of his 21st century work, but it wouldn't even crack my top 10 Scorsese films. I should give Silence another look...a film that might play better at home than in the theater.

hearthesilence

#433 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:33 pm

I want to say his latter day films (or I guess everything he did from Bringing Out the Dead to now) usually feel very uneven. Something like The Aviator is very well done but I have reservations about most of the cast and the script feels very superficial. Shutter Island has great things about it, but it doesn't quite come together for me. The Departed was often really enjoyable but it can be ridiculous (Nicholson's performance) and also feels like his most impersonal work. I think the best of the uneven works is Gangs of New York - it's very dense (in a good way) but I also think it needed more time to develop certain elements. Cameron Diaz is also miscast (Sarah Polley might've been better) and despite DiCaprio's efforts it feels like whatever performance he's going for is out of his reach. But a lot of it is really amazing, it still feels like something that should have been a masterpiece.

The ones I like most - his documentary on Italian cinema and on Bob Dylan, Hugo, Silence, maybe The Irishman but I have to see it again - all feel rock solid to me. Silence has especially grown on me these past four years due to personal reasons, specifically when I see what the influence of an evangelical upbringing has done to at least a few Asians I know, warping them into Trump's core base. (The film does raise the idea that Christianity has no root in Asian culture - there is an imperialist element to it - and I keep thinking back to Rodrigues/Garfield's immediate response re: the Japanese Christians to basically be prudent and not sacrifice their lives when their faith is tested. Garupe/Driver's immediate response is completely different. It's a moment that really chilling, as if the implications have metastasized to some of the deranged politics I've now witnessed.) I wouldn't bother comparing them because what they have to say and explore is so different than what I've gotten from his earlier films.

bluesforyou

#434 Post by bluesforyou » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:09 pm

tolbs1010 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:47 am
Very enjoyable read. Thanks.

It's telling that not one of these Directors, some of whom are fairly young, reference anything Scorsese has made in this century. And I wouldn't either. I still go see his new films in the theater, but my excitement/anticipation continues to wane with each one that comes out. Hugo is my favorite of his 21st century work, but it wouldn't even crack my top 10 Scorsese films. I should give Silence another look...a film that might play better at home than in the theater.

It is not really telling of anything other than that this particular group of directors's formative experiences. At the end of the day, directors are not critics or even general viewers who pore over an auteur's work. These people have high-wire jobs and their own work to think about. They aren't going to pull a Richard Brody and name The Wolf of Wall Street as his best work. They aren't going to pull a BluesForYou and name Silence his best work either. They are going to stick with the safe choice and the affecting personal anecdote.

Your opinion is your own ofcourse but I wouldn't take this article as some proof of decreasing quality and relevance of Scorsese's films. Ofcourse the impact has reduced alongside the loss of cinema's cultural standing but that has nothing do with the actual films. From what I see and hear, the people who care about the artform are excited as ever about Scorsese. Also, Wolf might be the last great film that almost every non-cinephile has seen and that's no mean feat in a time when the nerds and the jocks all line up to watch Spider-Man #37.

senseabove

#435 Post by senseabove » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:58 pm

Apparently Tumblr users spent the weekend inventing a lost Scorsese movie.

yoloswegmaster

#436 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:28 pm

senseabove wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:58 pm
Apparently Tumblr users spent the weekend inventing a lost Scorsese movie.
It's 100% not a made-up film as Martin Scorsese confirmed that he made the film. Surprised no one else here has seen Goncharov.

FrauBlucher

#437 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:29 am

I call bullshit! And why is not on IMDB? :roll:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#438 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:06 am

FrauBlucher

#439 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:33 am

Was I duped?!

Edit: I guess I should’ve read the link Senseabove posted. :oops:

SeizureMilk

#441 Post by SeizureMilk » Mon May 29, 2023 10:49 am

Again?

Peacock

#442 Post by Peacock » Mon May 29, 2023 11:32 am

This one is about Jesús Franco.

knives

#443 Post by knives » Mon May 29, 2023 12:40 pm

Would love to watch that. I figure he’d have interesting things for such a topic though Scorsese has moved away from that type of protagonist.

black&huge

#444 Post by black&huge » Mon May 29, 2023 1:01 pm

Peacock wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:32 am
This one is about Jesús Franco.
I actually very much really wish this was true :cry:

Kracker

#445 Post by Kracker » Mon May 29, 2023 1:18 pm

SeizureMilk wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:49 am
Again?
Maybe its a sequel :lol:

Peacock

#446 Post by Peacock » Mon May 29, 2023 1:58 pm

Kracker wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 1:18 pm
Maybe it takes place immediately after the Crucifixion? Jesus Christ in Hell.

Kracker

1A2089

#447 Post by Kracker » Mon May 29, 2023 2:27 pm

Was thinking more along the lines of Gandhi II

SeizureMilk

#448 Post by SeizureMilk » Mon May 29, 2023 3:05 pm

Kracker wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 1:18 pm
Couldn’t you argue Silence is technically a sequel (at least in a spiritual sense)?

John Cope

#449 Post by John Cope » Mon May 29, 2023 3:36 pm

Really wonder if what he's referring to here isn't just some kind of re-imagining of his proposed series with Schrader, The Apostles and the Apocrypha, from a few years back.

Also, as to the idea of a "sequel", that is not so absurd after all of course as that's exactly what Gibson is doing.

Tom Amolad

#450 Post by Tom Amolad » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:47 pm

I think I know the answer to this, but there aren't two cuts of "The Age of Innocence," are there?

I got my mother tickets to see it at the Paramount Theater in Austin last month, and she reported that the version she saw was missing the opening opera scene (which was the reason I got her the tickets -- her brother had worked on that scene).

Now I'm afraid I have a strong suspicion that the reason for this report has more to do with cognitive decline than with the movie, but I thought I'd ask -- there aren't two different cuts are there?

I just saw the Critrion Blu Ray, and the opera scene is definitely there (complete with her brother conducting the orchestra).