Mai Zetterling

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Mai Zetterling

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:41 pm

Mai Zetterling (1925-1994)

"I have been a woman for more than fifty years and yet I have never been able to discover precisely what it is I am, how real I am."

Filmography

Features (Directing and Screenwriting)
Loving Couples (1964)
Night Games (1966)
Doctor Glas (1968)
The Girls (1968)
We Have Many Names (1976)
Månen är en grön ost (1977)
Scrubbers (1982)
Amorosa (1986)

Shorts
"Lords of Little Egypt: Man Zetterling Among the Gypsies" (1961)
"The War Game" (1963)
"The Strongest" [segment, Visions of Eight] (1973)
"Love From the Market Place" [segment, Love) (1982)
"The Black Cat in the Black Mouse Socks" [segment, Love) (1982)
"Julia" [segment, Love) (1982)
"Betongmormor" (1986)
"Sunday Pursuit" (1990)

Television
Omnibus — S06E04 — "Vincent the Dutchman" (1972)
Deadly Nightmares — S02E04 — "And If We Dream" (1985)
Deadly Nightmares — S01E09 — "Hired Help" (1985)
Deadly Nightmares — S01E10 — "Murderous Feelings" (1985)
William Tell — S03E16 — "The Children" (1989)
William Tell — S03E18 — "The Wind Wagon" (1989)
William Tell — S03E22 — "Forbidden Land" (1989)
Chillers — S01E04 — "The Thrill Seeker" (1990)
Chillers — S01E10 — "The Stuff of Madness" (1990)

Books
Night Games by Mai Zetterling (1966)
Shadow of the Sun by Mai Zetterling (1974)
Bird of Passage by Mai Zetterling (1976)
All Those Tomorrows: An Autobiography by Mai Zetterling (1986)
A Cinema of Obsession: The Life and Work of Mai Zetterling by Mariah Larsson (2020)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:Mai Zetterling must be one of the most overlooked and underrated filmmakers of all time. The great Loving Couples and The Girls are out on DVD on R1 but is there more somewhere? I've been trying to see/get Night Games for some time, with no luck. Isn't there even a bootleg or something?
Loved the Girls, would definitely be up for seeking out more of her works in the future

putney

#3 Post by putney » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:20 am

luckily i got to see "night games" again a few years back when i was in sweden, on t.v (!) and it re-energized me to somehow track down this film. i know it was available a while back on video in sweden, along with her earlier films, but so far sadly, no dvd.
absolutely right, one of the truly overlooked great directors.

putney

alfons416

#4 Post by alfons416 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:05 pm

it's really sad, but there is no Zetterling on dvd at all released in sweden. and well there is no Sjöström or Stiller on swedish dvd, and hardly any Sjöman, Troell or Widerberg...

but hey on the bright side, there is like 400 really crappy swedish police-movies made after the same pattern.. how can i do anyothing but love this country?

pianocrash

Re: Mai Zetterling

#5 Post by pianocrash » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:53 pm

After digging around for a copy of The Girls, a Swedish (R2) box set called Mai Zetterling: Samlade Verk (Collected Works) popped up that was released last year, and includes English subs! Shipped to USA (via papercut) it's around $80 (probably much less if you're in the EU), but I will have to take the plunge very soon.

Here are the semi-translated specs:
Films: Loving Couples, Night Games, The Girls, Moon Is a Green Cheese, Amorosa (digitized with improved picture and sound quality by the Swedish Film Institute), as well as newly scanned version of Doctor Glass, We Have Many Names and Tenner Girls On The Drive

Christina Olofson's documentary I Rollerna Tre where Harriet and Bibi Andersson and Gunnel Lindblom meet in 1995 at Mai's farm in Provence and talk about Mai, the acting profession and her experience of career and life.

The short films Leka Krieg (1962) & Stockholm (1978) which were found in the Swedish Insitute's archives in 2009, as well as older interviews with Mai Zetterling from the TV archive, test films, picture gallaries, bio trailers and much more.

24-page booklet with newly written texts and detailed information about the films and The Prohibited Posters for Loving Couples and Night Games, which were stopped in Cannes and Venice respectively when they were considered obscene - in reprint (48x36).

974min runtime / 16:9 / Swedish Audio / Subtitles: English / Swedish

therewillbeblus

#6 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:44 am

Awesome news, hopefully the English subs extend to all shorts too. It's pretty hard to find though outside of papercut, does anybody know any comparable sites that may have competitive pricing?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:51 am

I already have the New Yorker disc for the Girls but if that box set description is accurate, what an amazing release (even if it is DVD only)

Jack Phillips

#8 Post by Jack Phillips » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:43 am

pianocrash wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:53 pm
After digging around for a copy of The Girls, a Swedish (R2) box set called Mai Zetterling: Samlade Verk (Collected Works) popped up that was released last year, and includes English subs! Shipped to USA (via papercut) it's around $80 (probably much less if you're in the EU), but I will have to take the plunge very soon.
I'd like to play too. Can somebody supply a link?

therewillbeblus

#9 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:54 am

In a basic google search, I only came across this link, which offers four sites to purchase through, but I haven't been able to find the set on any of them for comparison prices. Papercut doesn't show up under google shopping but if you add the keyword into the search, the papercut link shows up- and this is the only one I've found to actually purchase from, that comes out to around $80 in the U.S. (including ~$17 shipping)

I kinda wanna just take the plunge but am a bit reserved considering the lack of publicity for the set, and would appreciate more info first

Jack Phillips

#10 Post by Jack Phillips » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:14 am

Thanks muchly. I placed an order, we'll see what happens.

Berzeli

#11 Post by Berzeli » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:54 am

This thread reminds me that I have been meaning to pick it up, I have their Bo Widerberg box and its pretty darn nice (flimsy outside cardboard box aside). Now as to what to expect from this based on that; good restorations presented adequately on disc. Subs for main films and possibly the shorts, and probably not for the extras.

If you are in the EU, discshop (https://www.discshop.se/filmer/dvd/mai_ ... 96/P160174) is probably the best/cheapest retailer. Right now it's 499 SEK (that translates to 50-ish USD/EUR, but these Studio S sets go for sale on the regular down to either 199 SEK or 299 SEK (so 20 to 30-ish USD/EUR) and shipping is 99 SEK (and that's 10-ish USD/EUR). However they don't offer an English friendly version of their site, here are instructions for it (gonna fold it in a spoiler tag since it makes the post a bit unwieldy):
instructionsShow
1) hit the nice red button marked "Köp"
2) the top bar should light up in yellow, hover over the cart and again it's a nice red button "Till kassan"
3) scroll down and hit the "Leveranser utanför Sverige" tab
4) fill out the form
E-postadress - email
Förnamn - forename
Efternamn - surname
Postnummer - postcode
Ort - city
Välj land - choose country, naturally all the names are in Swedish. e.g. UK is Storbritannien
Mobil - phone number
5) and finally, the last nice red button "genomför köp", which should connect you to your payment provider (only mastercard and VISA are listed as supported so ymmv)
Now if you are outside of the EU Papercut is pretty much it. They are pricey (even by Swedish standards), don't really do sales, but they are not really gouging you on the shipping at least.

Other English friendly releases from Studio S of note are:
The (criminally underappreciated outside of Sweden) Bo Widerberg boxset (discshop link: https://www.discshop.se/filmer/dvd/bo_w ... sc/P133174 currently priced at 299SEK)
An Arne Sucksdorff boxset (discshop link https://www.discshop.se/filmer/dvd/arne ... sc/P147993 currently priced at 399SEK, but admittedly, I'm not sure how English friendly this is there is some conflicting listings. Haven't picked it up on account of finding Sucksdorff a bit too uneven)
And finally the blu-ray release of The Man on the Roof. Basically if you even have a fleeting interest in Nordic Noir, this is pretty much a must. Still probably the most popular crime thriller, definitely the best one in my opinion (and many others), and really the seminal Nordic Noir film. (https://www.discshop.se/filmer/bluray/m ... ad/P167853 179 SEK)

modernmalaise

#12 Post by modernmalaise » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:55 pm

Berzeli wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:54 am
The (criminally underappreciated outside of Sweden) Bo Widerberg boxset (discshop link: https://www.discshop.se/filmer/dvd/bo_w ... sc/P133174 currently priced at 299SEK)

And finally the blu-ray release of The Man on the Roof. Basically if you even have a fleeting interest in Nordic Noir, this is pretty much a must. Still probably the most popular crime thriller, definitely the best one in my opinion (and many others), and really the seminal Nordic Noir film. (https://www.discshop.se/filmer/bluray/m ... ad/P167853 179 SEK)
Thanks! I was going to ask about a Widerberg box before grabbing the Zetterling set. I notice it doesn't have Elvira Madigan...do you know if they are planning to release it on blu (or if it is already available)?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:58 pm

Completely unrelated to this topic but Elvira Madigan is such a great film. How has some boutique label not snatched it up?

therewillbeblus

#14 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:18 pm

Berzeli wrote:
This thread reminds me that I have been meaning to pick it up, I have their Bo Widerberg box and its pretty darn nice (flimsy outside cardboard box aside). Now as to what to expect from this based on that; good restorations presented adequately on disc. Subs for main films and possibly the shorts, and probably not for the extras.
Thanks for the rundown Berzeli! I just may add those other recs to hopefully meet the qualifications for free shipping. Just out of curiosity (since you are basing expectations on the other box and noted "possibly" for shorts), did the shorts in the Widerberg set all have English subs?

Berzeli

#15 Post by Berzeli » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:11 pm

modernmalaise wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:55 pm
Thanks! I was going to ask about a Widerberg box before grabbing the Zetterling set. I notice it doesn't have Elvira Madigan...do you know if they are planning to release it on blu (or if it is already available)?
Elvira Madigan is part of a separate DVD boxset from Svensk Filmindustri/SF Studios also containing Barnvagnen (Pram), Kvarteret Korpen (Raven's End, frequently voted greatest Swedish film of all time), Ådalen 31, Mannen på taket (The Man on the Roof), Mannen från Mallorca (The Man from Mallorca, which despite the title similarity is not a sequel but it is a very good crime thriller nevertheless), Ormens väg på hälleberget (The Serpent's Way). But that boxset is sadly not English friendly at all.

And there is no word on any future release of it. But I did send them an email asking about it.

edit: well. that only took them 30 minutes. at 8pm. But yes, they are in fact planning to release not only Elvira Madigan on blu-ray but also The Man from Mallorca some time next year!
therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Thanks for the rundown Berzeli! I just may add those other recs to hopefully meet the qualifications for free shipping. Just out of curiosity (since you are basing expectations on the other box and noted "possibly" for shorts), did the shorts in the Widerberg set all have English subs?
I just checked and they do (or... well... at least the two I did check), as does the rather good documentary Liv till varje pris that is also in the boxset. So I think it's reasonable to expect that anything substantive in the Zetterling set will also have subtitles but I can't verify it. The menus will be in Swedish however, but it shouldn't be impossible to figure those out.

therewillbeblus

#16 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:49 pm

Thanks for checking, much appreciated!

therewillbeblus

#17 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:59 pm

Berzeli wrote:
I notice the listing only cites Swedish subs- do you have this and is it randomly English-friendly despite not mentioning it?

Berzeli

#18 Post by Berzeli » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:14 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:59 pm
I notice the listing only cites Swedish subs- do you have this and is it randomly English-friendly despite not mentioning it?
The back lists English subs, as does listings on other sites like kvarnvideo (https://www.kvarnvideo.se/se/art/mannen ... lu-ray.php). So I think it's just the listing that is off, but sadly I don't own it so I can't confirm it.

edit: it's listed as having English subtitles on the distributor's website as well (http://www.studiosentertainment.se/mann ... t-blu-ray/), even if the site is a bit broken formatting wise.

artfilmfan

#19 Post by artfilmfan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:31 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:58 pm
Completely unrelated to this topic but Elvira Madigan is such a great film. How has some boutique label not snatched it up?
And the beautiful central movement of Mozart’s piano concerto no. 21 that is used in the film. Has this film been restored? I have a Region 1 DVD of this film which I bought in the early days of DVD.

kekid

#20 Post by kekid » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:22 pm

Does anyone know how to get the Zetterling box in US?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#21 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:25 pm

kekid wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:22 pm
TWBB shared out upthread that this was the only link he found that worked for US customers: https://papercutshop.se/product/mai-zet ... lade-verk/

modernmalaise

#22 Post by modernmalaise » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:13 pm

Berzeli wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:11 pm
Elvira Madigan is part of a separate DVD boxset from Svensk Filmindustri/SF Studios also containing Barnvagnen (Pram), Kvarteret Korpen (Raven's End, frequently voted greatest Swedish film of all time), Ådalen 31, Mannen på taket (The Man on the Roof), Mannen från Mallorca (The Man from Mallorca, which despite the title similarity is not a sequel but it is a very good crime thriller nevertheless), Ormens väg på hälleberget (The Serpent's Way). But that boxset is sadly not English friendly at all.

And there is no word on any future release of it. But I did send them an email asking about it.

edit: well. that only took them 30 minutes. at 8pm. But yes, they are in fact planning to release not only Elvira Madigan on blu-ray but also The Man from Mallorca some time next year!
That's wonderful news--it's visually stunning and deserves to be in HD. Thanks for emailing and following up for both sets!

kekid

#23 Post by kekid » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:51 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:25 pm
kekid wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:22 pm
TWBB shared out upthread that this was the only link he found that worked for US customers: https://papercutshop.se/product/mai-zet ... lade-verk/
Thank you very much!

Feego

#24 Post by Feego » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:22 am

For those with access to TCM in the U.S., Loving Couples is airing tonight at 2:30 am eastern.

therewillbeblus

#25 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:20 pm

My DVD box set arrived today, and although I haven't tested all the extras, there are optional English subs on the doc I Rollerna Tre and other extras on that disc, as well as the short film Leka Krieg and other extras on its respective disc (even if some of these are silent to begin with), so it's probably safe to assume that the extras are all English-friendly. From a brief sampling of these films/extras, the quality seems very solid for DVD