No Sudden Move (Steven Soderbergh, 2021)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.

The Narrator Returns

Re: Steven Soderbergh

#2 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue May 19, 2020 6:59 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:38 pm
Having not written a script in 15 years, Soderbergh has written/rewritten three screenplays during lockdown, including an adaptation of David Levien's City of the Sun and a sequel to sex, lies, and videotape.
He also teased the fuller cast of Kill Switch, including the previously-announced Cheadle, Stan, and Jon Hamm, plus Ray Liotta, Benicio Del Toro, George Clooney, and Amy Seimetz.

The Narrator Returns

#3 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:08 pm

At the end of this interview with him and Amy Seimetz, Soderbergh says that he'll start shooting Kill Switch eight weeks from now.

diamonds

#4 Post by diamonds » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:04 pm

Kill Switch re-titled No Sudden Move, cast list finalized and now includes Bill Duke, David Harbour, Frankie Shaw, and Julia Fox. And production has begun.

The Narrator Returns

#5 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:06 pm

It might be time for a No Sudden Move threadsplit, since it's apparently complete enough that there's footage of it in this HBO Max promo reel.

therewillbeblus

#6 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:20 pm

Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:06 pm
It might be time for a No Sudden Move threadsplit, since it's apparently complete enough that there's footage of it in this HBO Max promo reel.
Ha, I got a kick out of that one-off Liotta line!
SpoilerShow
"You're not smart enough to know how not-smart you are"

diamonds

#7 Post by diamonds » Thu May 20, 2021 9:22 am

Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:06 pm
Will premiere at Tribeca in June followed by an HBO Max release on July 1st.

Pavel

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#8 Post by Pavel » Thu May 20, 2021 10:38 am

Pavel

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#9 Post by Pavel » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:56 pm

TheKieslowskiHaze

Re: The Films of 2021

#10 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:35 pm

No Sudden Move is top-tier Soderbergh. It can be a little confusing, but I really appreciated a muted, dark visual style that contrasts with the nostalgic way we, as culture, typically think of the 1950's. I'll be watching it again soon.

therewillbeblus

#11 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:04 pm

Those super wide lenses definitely helped accentuate the realization of watching a movie, and more specifically a surreal genre film where we were kept in the dark just enough by everyone involved, just like they all were kept segregated from one another's motives and oppressed by the systems they thought they had a grasp on. I didn't think it was anywhere near Soderbergh at the top of his game, but it was still great. The noir conventions stretch across every element of the genre in fun ways, including the blunt fatalism of real world history thrown in for good measure.
SpoilerShow
I especially loved the long windup of tireless evidence that trust is a mistake being silenced by the pitch, where Cheadle trusting Duke is affirmed in a leap of faith that saves his life. Whether that choice was rooted in personal relationship history, cultural collectiveness in blackness during oppressive times, or an ability to read people well, there is something optimistic about the ending that runs counter to every other (coincidentally white/privileged?) character who misjudges everyone in their surroundings, from the cheating husband and his mistress plotting with one other, to his family members within their family system, to the cops and petty criminals and top gangsters and their wives... the plot's turns felt secondary to their mirrored actions in continual documentation of how little anyone trusts one another or can be trusted, to the point of being as comical as it is implicitly dark.
This film felt like Soderbergh taking noir and squeezing it dry of all its core themes, compared to the more stylistic The Good German and his best take on noir, Side Effects, which followed a similar trajectory as here (down to its real-world bitter truths of systemic traps) only better layered and executed with more twisted gravity to the genre. No Sudden Move is a lot of fun though.

nitin

#12 Post by nitin » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:13 am

No Sudden Move a thrilling return to form for Soderbergh after a few recent misses (High Flying Bird excluded). I think he shot this with the new Red Monstro and while I was not overly fond of the fish eye lens use throughout, some of the composition and lighting work is absolutely sublime.

Also,
SpoilerShow
the Matt Damon cameo/monologue made my day, especially the line about Stein being a difficult name to work with and Cheadle's perfectly judged deadpan response:)

knives

#13 Post by knives » Tue May 31, 2022 8:48 am

The above interaction was definitely the highlight for me. So much packed in one look.
therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:04 pm
Whether that choice was rooted in personal relationship history, cultural collectiveness in blackness during oppressive times,
This is a good point, but in the same interaction it’s clearly indicated that del Toro isn’t white either which I think is part of the film’s very nuanced view on ethnicity in America.

The film felt in a lot of ways like the adaptation of a lost Chester Himes novel.