Pickpocket/The Trial of Joan of Arc/L'Argent

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Pickpocket/The Trial of Joan of Arc/L'Argent

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 05, 2022 9:37 am

Confirmed for Bu-ray release on 11 July (Pickpocket) and 8 August (the others).

The Elegant Dandy Fop

Re: Pickpocket/The Trial of Joan of Arc/L'Argent

#2 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu May 05, 2022 10:38 am

Very exciting news that The Trial of Joan of Arc is getting an English language Blu-ray release! If I recall correctly, the Japanese release was sourced from a 4K restoration, so I hope it’s the same for the BFI release. It’s not talked about as often as the films that sandwich it in Bresson’s filmography, but find it to be a vital work that marks a change from the films of the first-half of his career to his second-half.

hearthesilence

#3 Post by hearthesilence » Thu May 05, 2022 10:50 am

Will L'Argent be the same exact master (i.e. color) as the Criterion BD? I hope not - would be more than happy to double dip if the BFI is able to correct things.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4 Post by swo17 » Thu May 05, 2022 10:52 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:50 am
Will L'Argent be the same exact master (i.e. color) as the Criterion BD? I hope not - would be more than happy to double dip if the BFI is able to correct things.
I was just about to post this same thought

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:19 am

Full specs announced:
PICKPOCKET
A film by Robert Bresson

BFI Blu-ray release on 11 July 2022

See the new trailer here

Following its release in cinemas by BFI Distribution on 3 June, PICKPOCKET (1959), one of the most admired, intriguing and influential films by the great French minimalist director Robert Bresson, comes to BFI Blu-ray on 11 July. Two further Bresson films, THE TRIAL OF JOAN OF ARC (1962) and L’ARGENT (1983) will be released on Blu-ray on 8 August. These releases follow June’s BFI Southbank season, OF SIN AND SALVATION: THE CINEMA OF ROBERT BRESSON. PICKPOCKET extras include a 1971 audio In Conversation with the director, a newly filmed interview with director Paul Schrader and complementary archival films.

PICKPOCKET sees resolute drifter Michel spends his days learning the art of pickpocketing and targeting the unsuspecting citizens of 1950s Paris. After his inevitable arrest (and almost immediate release), Michel reflects on the morality of crime, developing a vague theory that exceptional individuals are above the law. Lost in another world, he rejects his friends in favour of a life of crime and is seemingly set on finding his place in the world by engineering a head-on collision with society.

PICKPOCKET is a favourite of contemporary directors including Werner Herzog, Lynne Ramsay and Richard Linklater, and heavily influenced Paul Schrader and Martin Scorsese’s TAXI DRIVER.

Special features
• Presented in High Definition
Robert Bresson Q&A (1971, audio only, 47 mins): the director in conversation with John Russell Taylor, recorded on stage at the NFT during the 15th London Film Festival
Paul Schrader on Pickpocket (2022, 11 mins): Schrader discusses his relationship with Bresson’s film and how it has influenced him
The Models of Pickpocket (2003, 52 mins): Babette Mangolte’s documentary tracks down Pickpocket’s performers to discuss their experiences of working with Bresson
• Archive shorts: Thefts From Handbags (1961, 1 min): British television spot warning women to watch out for thieves; Snatch of the Day (1975, 1 min): John Krish’s sporty public information film on the tricks of the pickpocketing trade; Four Men in Prison (1950, 41 mins): controversial drama-documentary from the Crown Film Unit using real-life prison situations to address the purpose of incarceration
• Original theatrical trailer
• Reissue trailer (2022)
• ***First pressing only*** Illustrated booklet featuring an essay by Adrian Martin, a biography of Robert Bresson by Michael Brooke, credits and notes on the special features

Product details
RRP: £19.99 / Cat. no. BFIB1468 / PG
France / 1959 / black and white / 76 minutes / French with English subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.37:1 // BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM 2.0 mono audio (48kHz/24-bit)

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:56 am

Full specs announced:
L’ARGENT
A film by Robert Bresson

BFI Blu-ray release on 8 August 2022, with an iTunes and Amazon Prime release on 15 August

Following the BFI’s Blu-ray release of Robert Bresson’s Pickpocket (1959), the director’s 1983 film L’Argent comes to Blu-ray on 8 August, restored from the original negative. This energetic, enigmatic indictment of capitalism is a late masterpiece by Bresson (which won the Best Director prize at Cannes) imbued with a fierce cinematic power and tautly positioned amid the coldly structured complexities of human behaviour. Extras include a discussion filmed during the recent Robert Bresson season at BFI Southbank, an interview with Jonathan Hourigan, Bresson’s former assistant and a video essay on L'Argent by Michael Brooke.

Adapted from a novella by Leo Tolstoy, Bresson’s portrait of an ordinary man driven to ever-more extreme crimes by social and financial forces beyond his control probes uncomfortably beneath the surface of ‘civilised’ society. This compact, rigorously stylised film and the awkward questions it poses, about the nature of forgiveness and the possibility of redemption, is a rich testament to one of cinema’s greatest auteurs.

Special features
• Restored from the original negative and presented in High Definition
Style, Anti-style and Influence (2022, 22 mins): an onstage discussion between Geoff Andrew, Jonathan Hourigan and Nasreen Munni Kabir on the films of Robert Bresson, filmed at BFI Southbank
First and Last (2022, 9 mins): film scholar Jonathan Hourigan, former assistant to Robert Bresson, compares the director’s first feature, Les Anges du péché, with his last, L’Argent
The Root of All Evil (2022, 19 mins): writer Michael Brooke considers Bresson’s late masterpiece in this newly commissioned video essay
• Jonathan Hourigan on L’Argent (2007, 27 mins, audio only): an audio introduction to the film
Value For Money (1970, 22 mins): David Blest’s dreamlike, experimental short film, featuring Quentin Crisp, visualises coin-operated connections between money and religion
• Theatrical trailer
• ***First pressing only*** Illustrated booklet featuring writing by Jonathan Hourigan an essay by Dr Martin Hall and a review by Tom Milne originally published in Monthly Film Bulletin in 1983; credits and notes on the special features

Product details
RRP: £19.99 / Cat. no. BFIB1469 / 12
France / 1983 / colour / 84 mins / French with English subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.66:1 // BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM 2.0 mono audio (48kHz/24-bit)

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:32 am

Full specs announced:
THE TRIAL OF JOAN OF ARC
A film by Robert Bresson

BFI Blu-ray release on 8 August 2022, with an iTunes and Amazon Prime release on 22 August

The story of Joan of Arc’s trial and conviction is powerfully retold in Robert Bresson’s minimalist 1962 masterpiece. Working from the official transcript of the 15th century trial, Bresson shoots Joan’s ordeal with a serene simplicity that reveals her vulnerability and her resilient faith.

Following the BFI’s Blu-ray release of Bresson’s Pickpocket (1959), The Trial of Joan of Arc is released on Blu-ray alongside L’Argent (1983) on 8 August. Extras include An Introduction to Robert Bresson by Geoff Andrew, filmed recently at BFI Southbank and a newly recorded audio commentary by Kat Ellinger.

A transcendent and moving evocation of human suffering and spiritual liberation, THE TRIAL OF JOAN OF ARC remains a powerful exploration of religious virtue with one of cinema’s most haunting and poignant finales.

Special features
• Presented in High Definition
• An Introduction to Robert Bresson (2022, 29 mins): film writer and programmer Geoff Andrew discusses Bresson’s oeuvre in this talk presented at BFI Southbank
• Newly recorded audio commentary by filmmaker and writer Kat Ellinger
• Women’s Work in Wartime (1918, 8 mins): a propaganda short looking at the acceptable roles for women at a time of war
• Masculinity in Modes (1931, 1 min): a cinemagzine item showcasing the more masculine trends in Parisian couture
• The Legend of Joan of Arc ballet (1958, 2 mins, extract): an item from the cinemagazine The USSR Today showing a Nikolai Peiko’s ballet performed in Moscow
• Original theatrical trailer
• Stills gallery
• ***First pressing only*** Illustrated booklet featuring writing by Lillian Crawford and Richard Combs; credits and notes on the special features

Product details
RRP: £19.99 / Cat. no. BFIB1467 / 12
France / 1962 / black and white / 64 mins / French and English language with English subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.66:1 // BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM 2.0 mono audio (48kHz/24-bit)

L.A.

#8 Post by L.A. » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:40 am

hearthesilence

#9 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:47 pm

L.A. wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:40 am
Pickpocket @ Beaver
Tough call. I've actually seen this projected in 35mm - I believe at this screening at Quad Cinema - but it may have been a print struck by Janus, which could make its similarity to Criterion's grading inevitable. (I don't recall whether or not I saw it, but it's likely the Janus logo opened the print.)

The key scene for me is the one at the outdoor race track. In one of the caps on DVDBeaver, it looks hot on the Criterion disc compared to the BFI disc (and I remember it looking hot on the 35mm print I saw), but to me, that seems logical and perhaps the original intent - it looks like a bright and sunny day, the kind I'd expect on a typical day at the race track. But that's just an impression, not something that feels like a definitive interpretation.

Finch

#10 Post by Finch » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:31 pm

Trial of Joan Of Arc review at dvdrewind
The BFI Blu-ray features an excellent transfer of the 4K restored version with a number of fascinating extras. Recommended.

The Film: B+ Video: A Audio: A Extras: B Overall: A-

Finch

#11 Post by Finch » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:21 am

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#12 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:56 am

And DVD Beaver on L'Argent. Appears to support the same color scheme with an ever so slight change that's probably mostly down to encode.

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:37 am

Well, here's someone who really gets Bresson, and no mistake:
Those familiar with the film know there are many 'empty pauses' with sound playing a minor role in the film experience. There are external sounds - cars + crashes, trucks, motorcycles, gun shots etc. that carry depth, but it all sounds as it should - flat and exporting realism.

Matt

#14 Post by Matt » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:22 pm

I will be trying to understand “exporting realism” for weeks.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:28 pm

I prefer to buy local for my realism

jsteffe

#16 Post by jsteffe » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:04 pm

Nothing supports the "flat and exporting realism" of a soundtrack like a cream/orange/teal color scheme.

Finch

#17 Post by Finch » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:54 am

Finch

#18 Post by Finch » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:11 am

L'Argent at dvdcompare
The BFI has given the film a great Blu-ray release with a number of exclusive extras. The colors and hues of the image may seem slightly off, but still comes as highly recommended.

The Film: A Video: B+ Audio: A Extras: B Overall: B+

j99

#19 Post by j99 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:24 pm

I bought Pickpocket and L’Argent, but I have hesitated on Joan Of Arc, for two reasons. Firstly the reviews have been rather negative, and secondly The Passion Of Joan Of Arc is hard to beat. I generally love Bresson, but have never seen The Trial. Is it worth getting? Personally I would have preferred a blu ray of A Man Escaped instead.

Matt

#20 Post by Matt » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:14 pm

It is worth getting at some point, maybe if/when there’s a sale or price drop. I rather like Bresson’s take on the story and think it holds up nicely in comparison with the Dreyer, but no it doesn’t quite reach the high points of that film nor the other two Bressons BFI have released.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#21 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:30 pm

I liked Bresson's Joan film more than Dreyer's but less than Rivette's, then again, I have weird preferences. (Note, I prefer Shaw's play to any movie version, but think Rivette's version seems to have Shavian echoes at least here and there).

knives

#22 Post by knives » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:56 pm

Did you ever see Preminger’s adaption of the Shaw?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#23 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:37 pm

knives wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:56 pm
Did you ever see Preminger’s adaption of the Shaw?
Long ago, I believe. I don't recall it working all that well as a Shaw adaptation (Rivette's version felt more Shaw-like to me).

Shaw had planned to do an adaptation of this with Gabriel Pascal, but the economic failure of Caesar and Cleopatra killed that plan.

Red Screamer

#24 Post by Red Screamer » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:39 am

I love Trial of Joan of Arc. It’s not among the very best of Bresson, but it’s remarkably intense and cut to the bone, with the master’s control of rhythm, imagery, and space on full display. Following the lead of its central character, it’s a film based around plainness, discourse, and repetition, kind of like if Bresson adapted Paradise Regained and intentionally on the opposite end of the spectrum from Dreyer’s film. How appealing that sounds to you is probably all you need to know.

On the other hand, if you don’t need English subtitles the Potemkine release has the best supplements.

j99

#25 Post by j99 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:58 pm

Thanks for the responses. I actually ended up buying The Trial Of Joan Of Arc today. The other two BFI Bresson releases are so good, I needed to complete the set. Looking forward to watching it.