The Crying Game

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

The Crying Game

#1 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:31 am

Full specs announced:
The Crying Game
A film by Neil Jordan
Stephen Rea, Miranda Richardson, Forest Whitaker, Jaye Davidson

Northern Ireland’s Troubles provide the backdrop for a study of sexual intrigue in this landmark 1992 British drama from director Neil Jordan (Michael Collins, Interview with the Vampire) and producer Stephen Woolley (Carol). The Crying Game will be released on DVD and Blu-ray in a Dual Format Edition by the BFI on 20 February 2017, preceded by a 25th Anniversary screening at BFI Southbank on Wednesday 15 February, followed by a Q&A with special guests from cast and crew.

When British soldier Jody (Forest Whitaker) is kidnapped by the IRA, he strikes up an unlikely friendship with his captor, Fergus (Stephen Rea). When the abduction goes awry, Fergus leaves for London where he becomes embroiled in a curious love triangle with Dil (Jaye Davidson), Jody’s beautiful girlfriend.

Full of suspense, mystery and intrigue, this Academy Award-winning thriller challenged mainstream stereotypes and remains a powerful and poignant exploration of gender and identity. The memorable soundtrack includes The Crying Game sung by Boy George and produced by Pet Shop Boys.

Special features
• Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition;
The Making of The Crying Game (51 mins);
• Audio commentary with writer and director Neil Jordan;
• Alternative ending with commentary by Neil Jordan (5 mins);
• Northern Troubles (9 mins);
• Original trailers;
• Illustrated booklet with essays by Ashley Clark, Juliet Jacques and Brian Hoyle, and full film credits

Product details
RRP: £19.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1255 / Cert 18
UK, Japan / 1992 / colour / 112 mins / English Language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 2.35:1 //BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM 2.0 stereo (48kHz/24-bit) / DVD9: PAL, 25fps, Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo (320kbps)

manicsounds

Re: The Crying Game

#2 Post by manicsounds » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:10 pm

DVDBeaver

The documentary playback issue.... could there be another release postponement?

manicsounds

#3 Post by manicsounds » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:11 am

DVDBeaver with playback issues on the documentary,
DVDCompare with playback issues on the main film.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#4 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:43 am

manicsounds wrote:DVDBeaver with playback issues on the documentary,
Nabob of Nowhere with playback issue of the film per se. Acting glitches

cdnchris
Site Admin

#5 Post by cdnchris » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:18 am

I didn't experience any problems on any part of the disc, though it's a check disc. Player specific?

thirtyframesasecond

#6 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:59 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
manicsounds wrote:DVDBeaver with playback issues on the documentary,
Nabob of Nowhere with playback issue of the film per se. Acting glitches
Are you saying there's something wrong with Forest Whittaker's English accent? ;)

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#7 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Not exclusively.

M Sanderson

#8 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:54 am

Outstanding transfer of a film that is so much more than a shock value twist its famous for.

DFR

#9 Post by DFR » Tue May 02, 2017 9:38 am

This is one of my all-time favorites, and the new Blu-ray inspired me to finally pick up a region free Blu-ray player (of course, I picked up a couple dozen other Region B titles too). Gorgeous transfer. It was like watching it again for the first time. I haven't gotten to the supplements yet, but they look substantial. Very pleased overall. Love the cover art from the British poster too.

hearthesilence

#10 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:30 pm

Back in April 1993, just a few months after The Crying Game made waves as a popular Oscar contender, Dave Kehr wrote a feature on the history of homosexuality in cinema. I could be wrong but it feels unusual to see something like this written in a mainstream U.S. newspaper in 1993 (especially the Chicago Tribune or any in the Midwest). It's also pretty critical of The Crying Game:
Dave Kehr wrote:Without the audience's conscious perception, and probably without Jordan's conscious intention, The Crying Game turns back the clock on two major movements-on feminism and on gay activism-while cloaking itself in liberal attitudes and progressive sentiments. (That Dil is black, a fact the film never sees fit to dramatize, adds another level of obfuscation.)

The invisible hand gives, and the invisible hand takes away, providing just that correction (a revival of conservative notions of femininity, smuggled in through a liberal endorsement of homosexuality) that society needs to stabilize its course. Far from threatening the traditional male-female couple, Dil is its last passionate defender.

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#11 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:45 pm

It's interesting how Kehr, vocalizing unconsciously I'm sure many transphobic talking points (namely its "regressive" gender performances), mimicks the filmmakers' own misguided understanding of the film. I had a renewed appreciation (obsession wouldn't be far off) for the film a few months ago and watched some interviews with it in addition to rewatching specifically the back half multiple times and it became clear to me that while Dil is a very interesting, rich, and authentic trans character, none of the filmmakers (including her actor, Jaye Davidson) see her that way – indeed they see her as a somewhat confused gay man.

That being said, the ironically deracialized aspect of the film, as well as the slightly strange subtext of a trans woman killing a cis woman (akin to The Silence of the Lambs's), does make sense in Kehr's critique. It's an overdetermined film, for sure!