After the Fox

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

After the Fox

#1 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:08 am

Peter Sellers in
After the Fox
Directed by Vittorio De Sica
Co-starring Victor Mature and Britt Ekland

Blu-ray release on 21 September 2020

See a clip here

This wildly funny farce gives Peter Sellers free rein as he assumes a plethora of disguises, and is stylishly directed by Vittorio De Sica (Bicycle Thieves) from an original screenplay by the brilliant Neil Simon (The Odd Couple). On 21 September 2020 the BFI brings this MGM madcap comedy caper to Blu-ray for the first time in the UK. Numerous special features include a new interview with co-star Britt Ekland and a video essay by the BFI’s Vic Pratt (who produced this release) about the enigma of Peter Sellers and his multiple roles.

Millions of dollars in stolen gold bullion must be smuggled from Cairo to Italy, and there’s only one criminal mastermind capable of doing it: Aldo Vanucci, aka The Fox, played by the one and only Peter Sellers. Vanucci devises the perfect plan to bring the loot ashore, posing as a flamboyant Italian film director and casting a faded, egotistical matinee idol (Victor Mature) and his own sister (Britt Ekland) in a fake movie – about, of course, a gold heist.

Special features
• Presented in High Definition
After the Fox: A Socially Distanced Interview (2020, 15 mins): Britt Ekland looks back on the early days of her acting career and remembers the making of After the Fox
Peter Sellers: Master of Disguise (2020, 14 mins): the BFI’s Vic Pratt revisits the enigma of Peter Sellers and his multiple roles in this video essay illustrated with promotional images for After the Fox
DDR Magazin Nummer 11 (1962, 12 mins): After the Fox director Vittorio De Sica – paying a visit to Berlin – features prominently in this fascinating East German newsreel produced in the Cold War era
Robbery (1897, 1 min): could this Victorian novelty reel be the earliest heist comedy?
The Man With the Velvet Voice: Maurice Denham (1961 + 1975, 72 mins): the mellow tones of velvet-voiced actor Maurice Denham – who plays an authoritative supporting role in After the Fox – ring out in two rarities from the BFI National Archive: the CFF classic The Last Rhino and BTF film Go As You Please… in Britain
• Original trailer
• *** First pressing only*** Illustrated booklet with new writing by Vic Pratt, Dr. Deborah Allison and Howard Hughes, notes on the extras and full credits

Product details
RRP: £19.99 / Cat. no. BFIB1401 / U
USA, UK, Italy / 1966 / colour / 103 mins / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 2.35:1 // BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM 2.0 mono audio (48kHz/24-bit)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: After the Fox

#2 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:23 pm

Yikes, between this and Pocketful of Miracles, BFI is really going hard on bad 60s movies from directors who should have known better

knives

#3 Post by knives » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:36 pm

I’m not going to argue the film as good, but I like it overall.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4 Post by tenia » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:23 pm

I wish I liked it but that was a garbled mess. Jokes seemed to land about 10% of the time, the whole story feels poorly pieced together (which hurts the pace of the movie), and I pretty much hated Sellers' 3 accomplices bad schtick (just a bunch of cliché dumb partners). Mature and Ekland are shining through the movie, though.