The Pawnbroker

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

The Pawnbroker

#1 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 04, 2021 9:24 am

Confirmed for a 16 August Blu-ray and DVD release.
In THE PAWNBROKER (1964), Rod Steiger, Oscar-nominated and a BAFTA winner for his breath-taking performance, stars as a disillusioned and bereft survivor of the Holocaust. Directed by Sidney Lumet, this Dual Format Edition marks the first time this milestone drama has been made available on DVD and Blu-ray in the UK.

ChunkyLover

Re: The Pawnbroker

#2 Post by ChunkyLover » Tue May 04, 2021 10:45 pm

I'm glad I held off on the Olive Blu. I wonder what else BFI might possibly have for Paramount-licenses besides this, "Targets" and "One of Our Aircraft is Missing".

rapta

#3 Post by rapta » Wed May 05, 2021 11:28 am

ChunkyLover wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:45 pm
I'm glad I held off on the Olive Blu. I wonder what else BFI might possibly have for Paramount-licenses besides this, "Targets" and "One of Our Aircraft is Missing".
Don't want to jinx it, but I notice Paramount haven't ported over Days of Heaven in the UK, but have done with most of the other recent catalogue titles...

Very happy BFI got The Pawnbroker, one of Lumet's best in my opinion. Was asking MoC about it over the years, and they recently have got a few Paramount titles coming themselves (one being The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, and another which they divulged to me which is very good and can't wait for it...out later in the year hopefully) but sounds like Paramount are still difficult to deal with, in the UK at least (Imprint seem to be fine over in Australia). BFI seem to have had some luck though, with Targets being another big surprise (and I'm sure they're getting a better master for One of Our Aircraft is Missing than what's been released previously, or at least I hope so).

filmyfan

#4 Post by filmyfan » Sun May 09, 2021 8:14 am

Excellent news ...was only a couple of days ago thinking about getting the US Blu.

Excellent film.

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:48 am

Full specs announced:
THE PAWNBROKER
A film by Sidney Lumet

Starring Rod Steiger, Brock Peters, Jaime Sanchez, Geraldine Fitzgerald

Released on Blu-ray/DVD on 16 August 2021

Oscar-nominated and a BAFTA winner for his performance, Rod Steiger firmly established his credentials as an actor of international standing in Sidney Lumet’s 1965 film THE PAWNBROKER. Wonderfully supported by Geraldine Fitzgerald (Wuthering Heights) and Brock Peters (To Kill a Mockingbird), the film also boasts a score from the legendary Quincy Jones. Released on Blu-ray/DVD (Dual Format Edition) by the BFI on 16 August, extras include a newly recorded commentary and archival interviews with Rod Steiger and Quincy Jones.

Sol Nazerman (Rod Steiger) is a survivor of the concentration camps, which took the lives of his wife and children. Managing a New York pawn shop, he is bereft of hope and takes refuge in condemnation of humanity while seemingly numb to the circumstances of the prostitutes, pimps and thieves that frequent his store. Yet there are those who strive to connect with him, even as their intrusion into his world threatens the protective cynicism within which he has wrapped himself for so long.

Special features
• Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
• Newly recorded audio commentary by Maura Spiegel, author of Sidney Lumet: A Life and Annette Insdorf, author of Indelible Shadows: Film and the Holocaust
• Now and Then: Quincy Jones (1968, 21 mins): the legendary producer, musician, songwriter and composer is interviewed by Bernard Braden for a never-broadcast television series
• The Guardian Interview: Rod Steiger (1992, 113 mins, audio only): Rod Steiger discusses his career and talks candidly about his mental health issues in this interview with film critic Tom Hutchinson. Recorded at the BFI's National Film Theatre following a screening of The Pawnbroker
• Ten Bob in Winter (1963, 12 mins): Lloyd Reckord’s short film about the intriguing social dynamics that arise as a ten shilling note is passed around the Black community. Featuring a sparky jazz soundtrack provided by The Joe Harriott Quintet
• Original theatrical trailer
• Stills gallery
***First pressing only*** illustrated booklet with new essays by Jim Hemphill, Laura Spiegel and Nicolas Pillai, notes on the extras and full credits

Product details
RRP: £19.99 / Cat. no. BFIB1420 / 15
USA / 1965 / black and white / 116 minutes / English language, with optional subtitles for the deaf and partial hearing / original aspect ratio 1.85:1 // BD50: 1080p, 24fps, LPCM 2.0 mono audio (48kHz/24-bit) / DVD9: PAL, 25fps, Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio (192kbps)

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:50 am

The Rod Steiger interview sounds especially promising, because Tom Hutchinson (who I knew very well indeed in the 1990s) was a genuinely close friend - I forget how they first got together (an interview, most likely), but they hit it off so well that they stayed in regular touch for the rest of Steiger's life.

L.A.

#7 Post by L.A. » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:28 am

L.A.

#8 Post by L.A. » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:24 am