Saint Etienne: I've Been Trying To Tell You

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Saint Etienne: I've Been Trying To Tell You

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:20 am

Full specs announced:
SAINT ETIENNE
I’VE BEEN TRYING TO TELL YOU
A film by Alasdair McLellan

Released on Blu-ray on 6 December 2021

See the trailer

Directed by the acclaimed photographer and filmmaker Alasdair McLellan to accompany Saint Etienne’s first sample-driven album since their 1993 classic So Tough, I’ve Been Trying To Tell You is a road movie like no other. After a premiere at BFI Southbank and a short exclusive run on BFI Player in September, the film will be released on Blu-ray by the BFI on 6 December, packed with extras including a filmed conversation between the director and Bob Stanley from the band and three new Saint Etienne music videos featuring music from the album of the same name.

Back. Further back. Do you look back on the optimism of the late Nineties as a lost golden age? Or do you see it as a period of naivety, delusion and folly? Do you remember it at all? Through the fog of memory, can you be sure? Alasdair McLellan’s I’ve Been Trying To Tell You, set to the music of Saint Etienne, is immersive and impressionistic, hypnotic in its visual reverie. Filmed in locations across Britain, from Grangemouth to Portmeirion and Southampton, it’s about misremembrance and the recent past, youth and sense of place, and where we come from. What was lost and what was never there…

Special features
• Presented in High Definition
• Bob Stanley and Alasdair McLellan in conversation with Stuart Brown: the Saint Etienne co-founder and the director discuss the project (2021, 29 mins)
• Her Winter Coat, Hello Holly, Escalade and Access to All Alone / Infinity 21: new Saint Etienne music videos directed by Alasdair McLellan (2021, 20 mins)
• Marc Jacobs Daisy Love Eau So Sweet: Alasdair McLellan’s Saint Etienne-tracked ad (2019, 1 min)
• Three original theatrical trailers
• Gallery of film stills
• ***First pressing only*** Illustrated booklet with an introduction by Alasdair McLellan, an essay by Jason Wood; Bob Stanley and Jason Wood in conversation, a director biography, full credits and notes on the special features

Product details
RRP: £19.99 / Cat. no. BFIB1436 / PG
UK / 2021 / colour / 47 mins / English language / original aspect ratio 1.78:1 // BD50: 1080p, 24fps, LPCM 2.0 stereo audio (48kHz/24-bit)