Hitchcock on Universal DVD and Blu-ray

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
jsteffe

Re: Hitchcock on Universal DVD and Blu-ray

#626 Post by jsteffe » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:12 am

RitrovataBlue wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:37 pm
It’s unfortunate that the original audio mix is missing from Psycho, because the 4K looks lovely in motion. The music is roughly 30% too quiet in this mix (to my ears, anyway, and I’ve seen the film enough times to have memorized most of the dialogue), and the effects are occasionally very clearly new. Still, this is by far the best the film has ever looked. From the texture of Martin Balsam’s skin to the clearly legible “40,000” on the scrap of paper Sam Loomis sticks in his wallet, the detail in this release is remarkable.
The black and white tonal range in Psycho is really nice! It reminds me of seeing a new 35mm print projected with new bulb. The highlights gleam in a way that isn't usually evident in standard Blu-rays of black and white films. It's a great argument for going through the expense and trouble to upgrade to an HDR-capable TV.

FrauBlucher

#627 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:17 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:34 pm
Beaver's The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection in 4K UHD reviews

Rear Window 4K UHD
The Birds 4K UHD
Vertigo 4K UHD

Awaiting the Psycho review
Here it is...
Psycho

EddieLarkin

#628 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:11 am

Caps-a-holic really shows how poor the old BD transfer was. Praying a replacement programme is in the works for the audio.

Monterey Jack

#629 Post by Monterey Jack » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:07 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:11 am
Praying a replacement programme is in the works for the audio.
It is. :D

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-t ... 91420-1300

hearthesilence

#630 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:38 pm

If you contacted customer service by email, they should also respond via email with instructions too.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#631 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:33 pm

I used the form last night and haven’t heard anything yet

Finch

#632 Post by Finch » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:07 pm

Why are they only fixing the audio on Psycho and not including mono on the others?

EddieLarkin

#633 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:16 pm

The original mono is already present on the other 3. In the case of Rear Window and The Birds, it is the only track.

kekid

#634 Post by kekid » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:44 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:33 pm
Me neither.
If I don't hear from them for a few more days I may try the email option.

hearthesilence

#635 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:04 pm

I filled out the form on the 11th. Patience.

Finch

#636 Post by Finch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:30 am

EddieLarkin wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:16 pm
The original mono is already present on the other 3. In the case of Rear Window and The Birds, it is the only track.
But is it the actual original mono on Vertigo? Gary's review gave me the impression it was a downmix and not the original mono.

EddieLarkin

#637 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:14 am

I saw that, but his wording seems to imply he thinks they are all "downmixes" because they are 2.0 mono tracks rather than 1.0. Which only demonstrates his ignorance on such matters.

Yes it is confirmed to be the original.

MichaelB

#638 Post by MichaelB » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:19 am

Mono tracks are usually (indeed, pretty much invariably) presented as 2.0 on the rightsholder-supplied masters. Sometimes this is turned into 1.0 in the final encode, sometimes not - although as 1.0 takes up half the space of a 2.0 track, this can be a nifty way of economising on disc space if the size of the overall project is threatening capacity. This says absolutely nothing about the provenance of said track.

hearthesilence

#639 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:30 am

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:19 am
Mono tracks are usually (indeed, pretty much invariably) presented as 2.0 on the rightsholder-supplied masters. Sometimes this is turned into 1.0 in the final encode, sometimes not - although as 1.0 takes up half the space of a 2.0 track, this can be a nifty way of economising on disc space if the size of the overall project is threatening capacity. This says absolutely nothing about the provenance of said track.
I would believe this is the case, but 2.0 mono tracks are never created with a stereo transfer of a mono soundtrack, and 1.0 simply uses one audio track and discards the other, correct?

I bring this up because this has been an issue in the vintage audio world. Mono master tapes often are played back on stereo tape heads, which can be okay (and even preferable as a way of dealing with certain types of tape damage/wear) except that both channels of the stereo transfer are often collapsed back into mono, which introduces horrendous phasing artifacts. It's a huge no-no, and frustratingly the same mistake happens over and over again, even with major label reissues of vintage music. The worst example I can think of is Desmond Dekker's "007 (Shanty Town)" from the soundtrack for The Harder They Come - it was one of the previously released singles licensed for that film. When it came time to create the soundtrack LP, they introduced some egregious phasing that was fixed for the original CD release, but when it was reissued eleven years later, Universal's staff engineer mastered it with that horrendous phasing again.

MichaelB

#640 Post by MichaelB » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:52 am

Absolutely - we simply ditch one of the tracks. There’s no point whatsoever fusing the two: that’s just asking for trouble.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#641 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:42 pm

kekid wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:44 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:33 pm
Me neither.
If I don't hear from them for a few more days I may try the email option.
Just heard back today with details via email. You’ll need:

Your shipping address
• Daytime telephone number
• A copy of your sales receipt
OR a photo of the disc and the packaging

Finch

#642 Post by Finch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:30 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:14 am
I saw that, but his wording seems to imply he thinks they are all "downmixes" because they are 2.0 mono tracks rather than 1.0. Which only demonstrates his ignorance on such matters.

Yes it is confirmed to be the original.
Thanks Eddie. Think I'll take the plunge into UHD Christmas next year as we may move back to Europe next summer if the US jumps over the cliff in November.

jsteffe

#643 Post by jsteffe » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:19 am

I was taken aback at first by the saturated color in the new VERTIGO restoration, but I've come love it. I'm seeing details and colors that I haven't noticed before, and they look precisely chosen. The restoration team treats it - rightly - as Hitchcock's most beautifully photographed and designed color film. This 4K UHD presentation is a perfect way to rediscover the film and fall in love with it again.

Finch

#644 Post by Finch » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:57 pm

caps a holic has comparisons between the UHD of the Hitch titles and the previous Blu-Ray set, here is the link for Vertigo's.