Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Adam X

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#1601 Post by Adam X » Tue May 04, 2021 2:25 pm

I recall really liking Wolfen, though I’ve not seen it since the ‘90’s. I’ve been holding off on listening to them until I get around to watching the BD, but these two episodes of The Projection Booth likely contain some more background info:
Episode 437: Wolfen
Special Report: Stewart Buck on ‘Uncovering Wolfen’

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1602 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 04, 2021 2:34 pm

I enjoyed Wolfen a great deal, especially Albert Finney, who gives what may possibly be the last interesting film variation of one of the most tired character types in the world. But then the film just ends, out of nowhere. So I can easily believe something big is missing. Still works as a great New York City film though

beamish14

#1603 Post by beamish14 » Tue May 04, 2021 3:31 pm

Wolfen's production problems are legendary. John D. Hancock, who was brought in to supervise the reshaping of it, has been candid about it on social media. He says he was handed a 4-hour rough cut that was basically a ton of exposition and no real thrills. The Fun City boutique label guy mentioned on the Blu-Ray forums that WB nixed an audio commentary from director Michael Wadleigh; he probably got a bit too critical of the studio and how they handled the situation.

I'm really curious about that documentary on The Keep the same people have been working on for a while. What a fascinatingly flawed movie.

PfR73

#1604 Post by PfR73 » Tue May 04, 2021 4:27 pm

Wait, so John D. Hancock, the director fired from Jaws 2, was the the director brought in to supervise Wolfen after they fired the director?

Cash Flagg

#1605 Post by Cash Flagg » Tue May 04, 2021 5:31 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:31 pm
The Fun City boutique label guy mentioned on the Blu-Ray forums that WB nixed an audio commentary from director Michael Wadleigh; he probably got a bit too critical of the studio and how they handled the situation.
The commentary was even listed as an extra when the BD was first announced.

hearthesilence

#1606 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 04, 2021 5:37 pm

I just noticed certain Warner Archive DVD-R's are $9.99 on Amazon including a handful of Cagney films I was looking at: A Lion Is in the Streets, The Crowd Roars, The Strawberry Blonde, Boy Meets Girl, The St. Louis Kid, Taxi, These Wilder Years, Jimmy the Gent, Frisco Kid, Doorway to Hell, The Great Garrick (not Cagney, but a great James Whale film nonetheless), and a whole lot more without Cagney. These are definitely marked down as a lot of WA DVD-R titles, even older ones, are still in the $16 to $20+ range.

FrauBlucher

#1607 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue May 11, 2021 11:17 am

No official announcement but popping up on Amazon...
3 for June so far...

Ziegfeild Follies
Guns for San Sebastian
There Was a Crooked Man

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1608 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 11, 2021 12:06 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:17 am
No official announcement but popping up on Amazon...
3 for June so far...

Ziegfeild Follies
Looks like their next priority is updating that first musicals DVD box, so I imagine Till the Clouds Roll By and Three Little Words will come in due time as well.

As for the Mankiewicz film, well, it's not good, so of course they're releasing it. Wish they'd release his Julius Caesar instead

therewillbeblus

#1609 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue May 11, 2021 12:54 pm

It's tragic how many Mank films are with Fox and buried. Sleuth needs a release so bad.

Anyways, yeah, this late-Mank is one of his very worst.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1610 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 11, 2021 12:56 pm

Sleuth is tied up in the same problem as Stepford Wives and Heartbreak Kid where the remake rights conflated the current owners’ sense of what they can ask and therefore no label can afford a release

Calvin

#1611 Post by Calvin » Tue May 11, 2021 1:16 pm

There's an Australian DVD release of Sleuth that was released as recently as 2015. I presume Bristol Myers Squibb own it worldwide, so I wonder how much Umbrella coughed up for it.

hearthesilence

#1612 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 11, 2021 1:30 pm

Jesus, don't they make enough money from the pharmaceutical racket? Even the most reasonably optimistic price is probably a fraction of what they'd make in a single day peddling just one of their drugs.

dwk

#1613 Post by dwk » Tue May 11, 2021 1:37 pm

That is part of the problem. What the films are actually worth is not enough for them to bother. It is a similar issue with A Better Tomorrow and A Better Tomorrow 2. The rights outside HK are owned by a real estate company and they just will not earn enough money for them to bother licensing them out.

agnamaracs

#1614 Post by agnamaracs » Tue May 11, 2021 1:41 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:17 am
Ziegfeld Follies
I can never tell these three films apart. This is the third one from 1945 and is a revue, as opposed to The Great Ziegfeld (1936) and Ziegfeld Girl (1941). And both of the '40s ones are "the one with Judy Garland."
hearthesilence wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:30 pm
Jesus, don't they make enough money from the pharmaceutical racket? Even the most reasonably optimistic price is probably a fraction of what they'd make in a single day peddling just one of their drugs.
dwk wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:37 pm
The rights outside HK are owned by a real estate company and they just will not earn enough money for them to bother licensing them out.
Any money they'd make from licensing the films is more than they'd make by holding on to them...

dwk

#1615 Post by dwk » Tue May 11, 2021 2:25 pm

Yes, but they factor in the time and legal fees involved in licensing out the films and come to the conclusion that it just isn't worth it.