Point Blank

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Stephen

Re: Point Blank

#51 Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:09 am

Coming to UK cinemas care of the BFI

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/bfi- ... oint-blank

Could BFI be pulling this out of the Warner fire a la The Devils? The UK market never has had a DVD release of this masterpiece, only a very ropey pan and scan MGM VHS. Wish I was back in London for this. If ever a film deserves an HD release, this is it.

repeat

#52 Post by repeat » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:31 am

Stephen wrote:Could BFI be pulling this out of the Warner fire a la The Devils?
[-o< [-o< [-o<

It's funny, I never realized Point Blank was a little-known or underappreciated film before recently, when I got a Blu-ray player: this was among the first must-upgrades that came to mind (likewise when I first got a region-free player, it was among the first R1 titles I bought) - and I just could not believe it hadn't been restored to HD yet!

Not to go ahead of things, but if BFI really were on the case, and would go through the trouble to include that Lee Marvin doc, and maybe get the Soderbergh commentary on there - now that would be a pretty serious candidate for reissue of the year.

kingofthejungle

#53 Post by kingofthejungle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:24 pm

repeat wrote:
[-o< [-o< [-o<

It's funny, I never realized Point Blank was a little-known or underappreciated film before recently, when I got a Blu-ray player: this was among the first must-upgrades that came to mind (likewise when I first got a region-free player, it was among the first R1 titles I bought) - and I just could not believe it hadn't been restored to HD yet!
The team at Warner Archive stated that Point Blank is under consideration for a Blu-Ray release on their facebook page a few days ago, so perhaps the wait won't be too much longer.

Stephen

#54 Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Not to go ahead of things, but if BFI really were on the case, and would go through the trouble to include that Lee Marvin doc, and maybe get the Soderbergh commentary on there - now that would be a pretty serious candidate for reissue of the year.
And perhaps the terrific BBC2 'Making of' documentary that preceded its widescreen broadcast (late 90's I seem to remember).

hearthesilence

#55 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:18 am

kingofthejungle wrote:
repeat wrote:
[-o< [-o< [-o<

The team at Warner Archive stated that Point Blank is under consideration for a Blu-Ray release on their facebook page a few days ago, so perhaps the wait won't be too much longer.
Excellent! I've been holding off for a while, hoping it would be released in hi-def.

Walter Kurtz

#56 Post by Walter Kurtz » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:03 pm

This film contains perhaps the most aptly-named lead character in the history of cinema.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#57 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:13 pm

More so than Gatsby Welles?

Walter Kurtz

#58 Post by Walter Kurtz » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:32 pm

Yes... because it's just so monomaniacally appropriate. And the SFX.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#59 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:37 pm

I saw Geoff Dyer introduce a screening of this and the part that I remember most was his description of the film's "sense of perambulatory menace."

Walter Kurtz

#60 Post by Walter Kurtz » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:40 pm

Monomaniacal perambulatory menace.

And the youngish Angie as VFX.

black&huge

#61 Post by black&huge » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:02 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:37 pm
I saw Geoff Dyer introduce a screening of this and the part that I remember most was his description of the film's "sense of perambulatory menace."
Who does he think he is? Quentin Tarantino?