Silent Film on DVD and BD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Blutarsky

Re: Silent Film on DVD and BD

#826 Post by Blutarsky » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:35 pm

Out of curiosity, as the extended cut of Greed is copyrighted, does that mean all footage from the theatrical cut is therefore copyrighted once again? The only way I could see Greed being released is through Criterion or maybe Warner Archive.

captveg

#827 Post by captveg » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:40 pm

Greed is likely a rather difficult case for those specific reasons, though I'm pretty sure WB's copyright would not apply to someone scanning a print of the theatrical they own and releasing it with their own commissioned score. No one wants that specific film that way, so WB would be the ideal source for a proper release if they ever actually get around to it.

There's also the matter of which materials at these archival houses are owned by them, or are merely on loan from a studio. I just find it interesting that over the next 5-6 years we'll be seeing most silent Hollywood films in the PD, so there's bound to be a major title or two that comes via this type of boutique release rather than through the major studios.

knives

#828 Post by knives » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:45 am

That’s why I’m honestly surprised we haven’t heard any news about Ben Hur which just became public.

Stefan Andersson

#829 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:22 pm

VCI to release restored Mary Pickford silents:
https://www.mediaplaynews.com/vci-inks- ... ord-films/

First up is Sparrows, a 4K Library of Congress restoration with new score, alongside 4K´s of Fanchon the Cricket and Little Annie Rooney, both with new music scores.

FrauBlucher

#830 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:34 pm

I just finished reading an Ebert essay on Souls for Sale (1923). I have never heard of it until now. I saw a few posts in the 1920's List: Discussion and Suggestion thread from 2017 about the film. Has anyone seen it and can add some more incite?

L.A.

#831 Post by L.A. » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:47 pm

Coming to Blu-ray 8/23 from The Film Detective
The Tarzan Vault Collection [Film Detective Special Edition]

Tarzan of the Apes (1918), with the brawny Elmo Lincoln in the title role, introduced the character to movie audiences and told the traditional tale of how the orphaned heir to the Greystoke fortune became lord of the jungle. Lincoln was so impressive that he returned in Adventures of Tarzan (1921), this time to rescue his beloved Jane from the clutches of the evil Queen La. By 1935, the public was still fascinated by the nobleman who had been raised by apes, now played by Herman Brix (AKA Bruce Bennet) in The New Adventures of Tarzan. Brix, a star shot-putter at the 1928 Olympics, needed all of his muscle to portray Tarzan in this tale of missing jewels, and explosives powerful enough to destroy the world. Here is your chance to sit back and enjoy a Tarzan trilogy guaranteed to leave you spellbound!
Bonus Materials
Original Essays for each feature
Original Featurette by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures
New Commentary Tracks for 'Tarzan of the Apes' and 'Adventures of Tarzan' features

L.A.

#832 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:06 pm

L.A. wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:47 pm
Coming to Blu-ray 8/23 from The Film Detective
The Tarzan Vault Collection [Film Detective Special Edition]

Tarzan of the Apes (1918), with the brawny Elmo Lincoln in the title role, introduced the character to movie audiences and told the traditional tale of how the orphaned heir to the Greystoke fortune became lord of the jungle. Lincoln was so impressive that he returned in Adventures of Tarzan (1921), this time to rescue his beloved Jane from the clutches of the evil Queen La. By 1935, the public was still fascinated by the nobleman who had been raised by apes, now played by Herman Brix (AKA Bruce Bennet) in The New Adventures of Tarzan. Brix, a star shot-putter at the 1928 Olympics, needed all of his muscle to portray Tarzan in this tale of missing jewels, and explosives powerful enough to destroy the world. Here is your chance to sit back and enjoy a Tarzan trilogy guaranteed to leave you spellbound!
Bonus Materials
Original Essays for each feature
Original Featurette by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures
New Commentary Tracks for 'Tarzan of the Apes' and 'Adventures of Tarzan' features
Beaver.

dustybooks

#833 Post by dustybooks » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:41 pm

Didn’t see this mentioned here, sorry if I missed it. Undercrank has released LOC restorations of two early Frank Borzage features, Back Pay and The Valley of Silent Men, on a two BD-R set. More details here.