Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
captveg

Re: Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

#751 Post by captveg » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:48 pm

Pulp Fiction (1994) 4K UHD also looks to be coming on 11/1/22

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#752 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:47 pm

Hogan’s Heroes complete series coming to Blu in October

Gregory

#753 Post by Gregory » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:31 pm

At least it seems they've learned some things since the time they tried releasing I Love Lucy on the format with a list price of $129 per season (so it would've been MSRP $780 for all six seasons) and then pulled the plug after Season 2.

flyonthewall2983

#754 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:17 pm

Planes Trains & Automobiles 4K with bonus disc featuring “75 minutes of never-before-seen deleted & extended scenes”, 11/8, from the Dawn of the Discs FB page I’m on. It has cover art too.

Major.

beamish14

#755 Post by beamish14 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:51 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:17 pm
Planes Trains & Automobiles 4K with bonus disc featuring “75 minutes of never-before-seen deleted & extended scenes”, 11/8, from the Dawn of the Discs FB page I’m on. It has cover art too.

Major.

Wow. That is some major stuff. Editor Paul Hirsch has a great anecdote in his memoir about how long the rough cut of that film was; he said that he and Hughes watched it for about 40 minutes, took off to have dinner, and were still able to see another 60+ minutes of it when they returned to the screening room. I imagine it’s probably sourced from VHS tapes, but I’m massively excited about it

flyonthewall2983

#756 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:08 pm

I’m equally interested in how this will look in 4K as I am about the lost footage. Of all Hughes’ work this one has always hit deepest and that includes the look of it, about as removed from comedy as possible but still hilarious.

therewillbeblus

#757 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:38 am

dustybooks wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:23 pm
flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:14 pm
Should I bother with the theatrical cut?
It's a bit tighter, but I think the longer version is preferable overall, with a more immersive feeling and better development of the side characters, especially Kate Hudson's. (And if you're wondering this specifically, I don't believe there is anything in the theatrical cut that's not in the DC.)
I finally got around to watching the bootleg cut of Almost Famous and I loved the film so much more under these conditions. The theatrical cut, while good, never felt like the significant life-changing coming-of-age journey it's meant to be, in part because the milieu wasn't given the room to breathe like it is with these forty extra minutes. But, man, this is now an epic of deeply-felt, romantic earnestness, the dramas spliced into joviality in a fluid flux of fun and problems, rather than jagged stages in a faux-linear dynamic. The bootleg cut documents Russell's rehabilitation with more intricate, humane shades, and the band's nonlinear growth more appropriately. The Jason Lee interview about brains and instincts and collaboration in life and music is inexplicably absent from the theatrical cut, as perhaps the richest and most thematically relevant content in the entire film. The early scene in the ice room between Russell and Penny makes the union more charitable to both of their characters' earnest motivations of genuine attraction, whereas in the theatrical cut it's shown from a subjective perspective as William watches Russell seemingly take advantage of her. While that's partly true, we see her participation in the wooing and his soft side of clearly-honest engagement with her in that private, intimate sphere. It's a beautiful scene.

I realize a lot of this film is William's subjectivity, but there are scenes even in the theatrical cut where the band discusses the pros and cons of letting William in on the tour out of sight or earshot, as well as freaking out over the story coming out, etc., so it's not exactly out of step to give these characters the space to flesh out a relationship in a vacuum away from William's (and thus, the audience's) projected judgment. Also, the radio spot scene with Kyle Glass is one of the very best. I 'get' why it would be cut, but it's such playful detailing of a band fucking around and having fun together, and is so important to see why they gel, instead of witnessing a tangling downward spiral for two hours. The original cut is a bit like what the initial thousand-word article William was going to write might look like: a paint-by-numbers two-dimensional account of thinly-drawn band members on a descent to breakup. The bootleg cut is more like the cover-story article that doubles the word count and tells a multidimensional exposition on all the fluctuating highs and lows of the complex dynamic. It's a totally different movie, and so, so much better- in part because we are invited into and immersed in a world that isn't relayed through a surrogate experiential slideshow anymore. We get some distance from William, and can see him more clearly too as a result, which is crucial in empowering and appreciating him as a character as well

jazzo

#758 Post by jazzo » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:40 am

TWBB, as usual, an eloquently stated opinion, and one that perfectly sums up my feelings towards the film, which (for me), is one of those occasions where the additions never seem indulgent on the director's part, but organic and outright essential to the film's success. I wouldn't necessarily say that those occasions are rare, but I may suggest to inner circles of friends that director's cuts only work about half of the time.

Oddly enough, I was (and always will be) a huge fan of Crowe's VANILLA SKY (and by that, I mean not only as a film, but far more than Amenábar's original ABRE LES OJOS), and was over the moon when a director's cut was released on Blu-ray a few years ago. It, however, is an absolute mess, and every instinct Crowe had for his expanded version seems wrong-headed and counterintuitive for his desired emotional catharsis at the end of the film. Luckily, the theatrical cut is also included on the disc, so I'll never have to suffer through it again.

Can I also suggest, if you haven't already, that you sit down with Tom Hanks' director's cut of THAT THING YOU DO? Coming out of the my multiplex back in 1996, I was, at best, indifferent (if not outright annoyed) with the theatrical cut. But for many of the same reasons you note in Almost Famous' bootleg cut, Hanks' DC of TTYD is infinitely better and made me fall absolutely in love with that film. It does everything right with its extra 40 minutes of breathing room, whereas the theatrical felt like a Cliffs Notes version of the story.

therewillbeblus

#759 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:48 am

That's interesting, because I can't stand That Thing You Do for that exact reason: i.e. its truncated form makes it like an F-grade rendition of Almost Famous' B-grade theatrical cut. I'll keep that in mind, but I'm not sure how high it'll be on my priority list!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#760 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:15 pm

Big Night coming in January

jazzo

#761 Post by jazzo » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:04 pm

And apparently Gallipoli in December. Unconfirmed, though.

https://b2b.dealsareus.ca/gallipoli-blu-raydigital

Furstemberg

#762 Post by Furstemberg » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:40 pm

…and My Friend Irma and It Started In Naples

captveg

#763 Post by captveg » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:31 pm

They also have a UHD of Double Jeopardy (1999) coming on 1/17/23

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#764 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:42 pm

Furstemberg wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:40 pm
My Friend Irma
Weird way to start doing Jerry Lewis

flyonthewall2983

#765 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:11 pm

captveg wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:31 pm
They also have a UHD of Double Jeopardy (1999) coming on 1/17/23
Apologies for the bad taste but my mind went immediately here.

pistolwink

#766 Post by pistolwink » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:40 pm

Except her movies were legitimately huge for a while there, back when one-off thrillers could be huge. Double Jeopardy was a particularly big hit. I somehow always managed to watch them on airplanes, which seems appropriate somehow.

hearthesilence

#767 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:55 pm

pistolwink wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:40 pm
Except her movies were legitimately huge for a while there, back when one-off thrillers could be huge. Double Jeopardy was a particularly big hit. I somehow always managed to watch them on airplanes, which seems appropriate somehow.
Correct. That film in particular far outperformed expectations - Judd really DID bring people the box office, even when the films themselves were mediocre. (Sadly her first, Ruby in Paradise, is probably better than anything she's appeared in since. Would like to see that one reissued on Blu-ray.)

And Seth MacFarlane's sense of comedy is a pile of reactionary shit.

colinr0380

#768 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:34 am

I know he is playing a character with a different name in this one but I have always found Double Jeopardy more entertaining if seen as the third film in the Fugitive trilogy (with 1998's Wesley Snipes-starring U.S. Marshals in between) that is held together by Tommy Lee Jones' investigator character chasing after the nominal hero who is trying to redress their grievances. It even feels more understandable that way structurally: opening happy situation turning to betrayal and wrongful arrest; going on the run before a big set-piece mid-film confrontation with a by-the-book uncaring at this point Tommy Lee Jones before the main character makes a daring escape; before a climax of the wronged person confronting their original tormentor before the Jones' representative of authority very belatedly understands the situation, arrives and puts the situation properly to rights.

(Just as I like to think the earlier Kiss The Girls is just a continuance of Morgan Freeman's character from Se7en! Whether this is intentionally meant to resonate back to the previous roles by the actors, or just a sign of themes and archetypes being recycled in lieu of anything else to do may be up for debate!)

dwk

#769 Post by dwk » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:14 pm

Dragonslayer is getting separate Blu-ray and UHD releases from Paramount.

dwk

#770 Post by dwk » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:00 pm

The Kino Insider posted an update on status of Little Darlings:
Good news, the music has been cleared and it will be coming from another label in 2023.
Edited to add:

I was looking through the Kino thread at Blu-ray.com forum and the Insider previously said he heard the laserdisc soundtrack was cleared. So, I'm not sure if this latest update was in reference to the laserdisc track or the original theatrical track.

pistolwink

#771 Post by pistolwink » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:08 am

dwk wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:14 pm
Dragonslayer is getting separate Blu-ray and UHD releases from Paramount.

This is a very good movie which doesn't come up much these days. I venture to suggest that if you like Boorman's Excalibur you will like this (although Dragonslayer isn't on the same level of ambition).

yoloswegmaster

#772 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:41 pm

Paramount will be releasing Just Another Girl on the I.R.T. in February. This is a bit surprising since I assumed that this would have been something that Criterion would have released.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#773 Post by dekadetia » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:59 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:41 pm
Paramount will be releasing Just Another Girl on the I.R.T. in February. This is a bit surprising since I assumed that this would have been something that Criterion would have released.
I assumed as much too; I think for me that's been subconsciously reinforced by how prominently the movie's artwork appears on the Channel splash screen on both mobile and (even moreso) Apple TV. Probably time for them to refresh those!

dwk

#774 Post by dwk » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:48 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:41 pm
That is a Miramax title. Kind of surprised that Paramount is releasing it, but, to the best of my knowledge, the only Miramax titles that have been licensed out are the Halloween squeals.
dekadetia wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:59 pm
I assumed as much too; I think for me that's been subconsciously reinforced by how prominently the movie's artwork appears on the Channel splash screen on both mobile and (even moreso) Apple TV. Probably time for them to refresh those!
They really do need to refresh it. I don't know why they don't do that every few months to keep it somewhat up to date.

captveg

#775 Post by captveg » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:43 am

Paramount is doing their own release of The Quiet Man on BD on 2/28/23. I would assume it's from the same source that Olive's previous release used.