UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
FrauBlucher

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#851 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:53 am

I’m not convinced CC will release The Trial as a UHD.
Why would SC even allow Criterion to release a UHD version with their own on the market.

yoloswegmaster

#852 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:01 pm

I mean they let them release Le Cercle Rouge and Mulholland Drive on UHD, so it's not like it unprecedented.

ryannichols7

#853 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:31 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:53 am
I’m not convinced CC will release The Trial as a UHD.
Why would SC even allow Criterion to release a UHD version with their own on the market.
because Canal doesn't release UHDs in the US? the weird Lionsgate Best Buy Exclusive steelbook of Ran aside, which feels like a definite one off, especially given there's no standard edition like region B got. if there is one "legacy" director Criterion doesn't mess around with, it's Welles - basically all of their editions of his films have been as definitive as they get

and as noted above, two UHD titles already released have been Canal licenses

Apperson

#854 Post by Apperson » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:49 pm

They also release Angel Heart UHD as a Besy Buy exclusive steelbook, although I suppose that was never really a film Criterion would release themselves.

FrauBlucher

#855 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:25 pm

HHmm, Mulholland Drive is a Studio Canal and not Universal licensed in the states?

I'm basing my assumption on UHD being a region free format.

ryannichols7

#856 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:10 pm

the new Mulholland Drive 4K was licensed from Studiocanal rather than Universal since they and Criterion split the restoration

I don't think the region free thing is a factor. the fact of the matter is that the Canal Trial disc isn't gonna be in more than 10 storefronts in the United States, all independent retailers like Orbit. compare that with how a Criterion Trial will be at every Barnes and Noble across all 50 states. I don't think Criterion or Canal would think the canal disc covers the US market. there will absolutely be a CC release (since Kino already confirmed they don't have it), it's just a question of when

Finch

#857 Post by Finch » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:40 pm

Used Cars is another poorly encoded Shout Factory UHD and the covers on the first batch are torn on the right hand side.

Moving Wayne's World to the top after Geoff pointed out in his very complimentary review that the opticals have not had DNR applied.

Finch

#858 Post by Finch » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:20 pm

first user reaction to Studio Canal's The Trial, based on them sampling 30 mins.

Finch

#859 Post by Finch » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:52 pm

One Studio Canal UHD that's safe to get and which several eagle-eyed BR users prefer for its encoding to the Criterion (though it's not been by David M) is The Piano.

EDIT: 12/5/22: Calling it a tie between the Criterion and Studio Canal encodes as both are very good with different minor flaws to each encode. Removed the Studio Canal from the Superior Import a few days ago.
Last edited by Finch on Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finch

#860 Post by Finch » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:02 pm

A BR user has sampled his French UHD copy of The Driver:
91 minutes, looks to be derived from the Fox US print (based on Fox logo and placement in end credits). Hill interviews are 1080i50 and run 13 and 30 minutes -- haven't watched them yet. Bunch of trailers. PCM mono for all the audio tracks. Transfer looks pretty natural from what I looked at quickly, no heavy color lean I could discern (nothing like the typical Hiventy/Retrovitra remaster at least) though I don't have the old Twilight Time disc around to compare it with.

ChunkyLover

#861 Post by ChunkyLover » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:18 am

I gotta be honest, the SC UHD of "The Piano" doesn't that look much better than the Criterion. I see a lot of "mushy"-ness, especially in darker areas, compared to the Criterion.

Finch

#862 Post by Finch » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:36 am

EDIT: see previous post of mine for Piano SC/CC

The Trial comparison caps
Last edited by Finch on Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finch

#863 Post by Finch » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:42 am

Andreas and another BR user are saying the grain on Turbine's The Frighteners looks unnatural to them (post 225 onwards). Jury still out on this title (which is also fairly expensive to import). It's also not clear whether the 4 year exclusivity Turbine are claiming on the film is just for the German market or if it prohibits Arrow to release in the UK (if they are planning to, that is).

yoloswegmaster

#864 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:54 am

ChunkyLover wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:18 am
I gotta be honest, the SC UHD of "The Piano" doesn't that look much better than the Criterion. I see a lot of "mushy"-ness, especially in darker areas, compared to the Criterion.
There's also chroma noise with the SC in certain screenshots, so I'm not really sure if it's that "superior" than the other release.

Finch

#865 Post by Finch » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:06 pm

Tropic Thunder (Kino): very good 2k upscale (caveat: only the theatrical is in 4k; the DC is in 1080p)

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#866 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:20 pm

Any reputable sources review the new UHD of 48 Hours?

Finch

#867 Post by Finch » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:45 pm

Black Christmas (Scream Factory) is safe to buy. Yay! Audio in particular is getting high marks.

Re 48 Hours: I haven't seen an in-depth review yet but early reactions suggest that it's one of Paramount's better discs. Keeping an eye on this one.

black&huge

#868 Post by black&huge » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:00 pm

Finch wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:45 pm
Black Christmas (Scream Factory) is safe to buy. Yay! Audio in particular is getting high marks.
Glad to hear. Hoping Carrie turns out as good

Finch

#869 Post by Finch » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:13 am

48 Hours: caps and page 7 reactions

Unfortunately, the early feedback was off and Paramount encoded the film poorly.

Finch

#870 Post by Finch » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:43 pm

Geoff and another BR poster have seen the Holiday Inn UHD (Universal) and are saying that given the limitations of the source (not an original camera negative, lots of optical dissolves, film was shot with soft focus), that the film looks fine on this disc. Universal have not applied DNR and the compression is good. No one has compared to the Blu-Ray yet.

Geoff reviews 48 Hrs: like Saturday Night Fever, this looks dreadful in HDR10 and mostly acceptable in Dolby Vision. Adding further comments to the OP entry.

Yakushima

#871 Post by Yakushima » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:31 pm

I just received and watched Turbine's The Frighteners Director's Cut UHD and comparing to the old Blu-ray this is a fabulous upgrade. It is very filmic, lots more details in the dark areas, improved color, excellent sound. I cannot comment on the quality of the grain, except for the fact that the grain was definitely there. Open-matte version is definitely my preferred version. It seems to work much better for most of the film's geometry. The open-matte is included as a Blu-ray only, unfortunately, but the Blu-ray's quality is superb. For those on the fence about this release - do not hesitate!

Finch

#872 Post by Finch » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:21 pm

caps for Adaptation. (Sony)

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#873 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:49 am

Any news about SC's release of Visconti's Ludwig? It's out in France now, but w/o English subs. Visually, it's easily one of the most breathtaking film I've ever seen, and my favorite Visconti (never been able to get really into The Leopard), so I'm very excited about this. I can't find any information about a UK release. Any chance of Arrow possibly doing this like they did with the BD? On the other hand, we haven't seen many films like this from them after they scrapped their Academy line...

M-A

#874 Post by M-A » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:23 am

I had a look on the French forums and didn't see anything. It was noted, however, that it only contains the longer cut, while Arrow's release has both cuts.

Finch

#875 Post by Finch » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:58 am

Some caps and first impressions of the Carrie UHD which based on what samdunlop has sampled so far is good, not amazing.

The Driver caps are up.