The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Fletch F. Fletch

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

#1 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:13 pm

I think we all knew that this would happen eventually...

From Coming Soon (http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=7928)

Jackson on an Ultimate LOTR DVD Collection
Source: USA Today
January 14, 2005

USA Today spoke with "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy director Peter Jackson on the set of King Kong where he revealed that they still want to develop an Ultimate "Lord of the Rings" DVD Collection.

The set will included the three extended versions (not combined into one film) and likely won't arrive in stores for another two or three years.

"I don't want to add more footage," Jackson says. "There's as much in there as we want. Eventually you are just going to go backward and weaken the films." Instead, he would prefer to simply show the unused deleted scenes and explain why they were cut.

Jackson would also like to include feature-lenght documentaries, made by longtime associate Costa Botes, on the making of the movies. "There are no commentary or interviews. It's like a reality TV show," Jackson says.

He adds that the bloopers, or "bleepers" as Jackson calls them, would also be a new feature. They were previously only shown to the major cast members as a farewell tribute after they finished filming.

zedz

#2 Post by zedz » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:41 pm

The first Botes documentary, at least, is surprisingly good: not your standard DVD "making of" featurette but more a verite assemblage.

THX1378

#3 Post by THX1378 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:34 pm

Why do an Ultimate LOTR DVD Collection? The 4 disc sets that they have out now are pretty perfect. The only thing that would be worth picking this set up is if it's an HD-DVD set.

zedz

#4 Post by zedz » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:42 pm

THX1378 wrote:Why do an Ultimate LOTR DVD Collection?
Uh. . . to make a shitload of money off of LotR obsessives / completists?

godardslave

#5 Post by godardslave » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:27 am

zedz wrote:Uh. . . to make a shitload of money off of LotR obsessives / completists?
that is the correct answer!
ladies and gentlemen we have a winner.

everyone, welcome to capitalism and not giving a shit about anything apart from squeezing money from this life and earth.
i think it took hold roughly 400-500 years ago.

exte

#6 Post by exte » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:44 am

If these documentaries are sold seperately, I'd buy them.

THX1378

#7 Post by THX1378 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:08 am

Well yeah to make money but I thought that Jackson would never go that low. I mean really what else can they pack the disc's with. I thought that the 4 disc sets were pretty much the end all for Rings DVDs. The only thing that could make me want to get the set is if it's HD-DVD.

ben d banana

#8 Post by ben d banana » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:15 am

ugh, i could care less, but of course, if this is to be released in two or three years it would be hd-dvd/blu-ray.

Costas

#9 Post by Costas » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:39 am

zedz wrote:
THX1378 wrote:Why do an Ultimate LOTR DVD Collection?
The obsessives/completists deserve everything they get, if you ask me.

Mr Sausage

#10 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:36 pm

everyone, welcome to capitalism and not giving a shit about anything apart from squeezing money from this life and earth.
i think it took hold roughly 400-500 years ago.

The wonderful thing about capitalism, though, is the delightful opportunity it provides to take one look at a worthless pile of merchandise and just not buy it.

Even the homeless can do it.

Subbuteo

#11 Post by Subbuteo » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:01 pm

[quote="Mr_sausage"] The wonderful thing about capitalism, though, is the delightful opportunity it provides to take one look at a worthless pile of merchandise and just not buy it. quote]

Oh but we do.... have a look at this shit!
viewtopic.php?t=580

Svevan

#12 Post by Svevan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:17 pm

These are out now, did anyone double dip? I don't even like these movies that much, but I'm tempted to buy for the documentaries.

Barmy

#13 Post by Barmy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:22 pm

I'm waiting for the 3-D versions.

But seriously, I loved these movies but this is just exhausting. PJ needs to get over himself, especially after the King Kong debacle (I'm praying for a shorter version of that to be released). I never got through all the extras in the original LotR sets (extended versions) because there was so much dross.

Someone should bootleg the docs and sell them on eBay.

Also it looks like there are no audio commentaries (I'm too lazy to figure that out). Whatever, just typing this is making me bored with LotR.
Last edited by Barmy on Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Invunche

#14 Post by The Invunche » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:25 pm

It's almost guaranteed the docs will be available on BitTorrent and I've already paid Jackson enough money with three 4-disc sets.

Not that I have any need to watch these docs.

Barmy

#15 Post by Barmy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:58 pm

dx23

#16 Post by dx23 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:43 pm

dx23

Re: The Ultimate Lord of the Rings DVD Collection

#17 Post by dx23 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:20 pm

From blu-ray.com:

Even More LOTR Rumblings
Posted November 12, 2008 09:16 AM by Josh Dreuth

Our good friend Bill Hunt is at it again, and today he has more information regarding the upcoming release of the 'Lord of the Rings' films. This bad news is that when Warner delivers the films sometime late next year, they will be of the theatrical versions of the films. The good news is that this decision was made because director Peter Jackson wants to save the extended versions for a super Blu-ray boxset to be released near the theatrical release of 'The Hobbit'.

With the original extended cut box sets being of the utmost quality, I have high hopes that Jackson will once again produce a magnificent Blu-ray box set for the extended cuts of the film. Until then (which will be about two years if 'The Hobbit' stays on schedule, enjoy the theatricals cuts on Blu-ray sometime next year.
I, for one, will wait until Jackson releases all the films including the Hobbit in an uber box set.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#18 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:41 pm

Well I intend to wait to purchase these until Return of the King ends, i.e. never. :P

perkizitore

#19 Post by perkizitore » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:39 pm

I am very surprised :-k that PJ hasn't added the docs to the material of the 12-disc boxset,in order to make the super-duper-ultimate collection on DVD (before Blu-Ray takes over and start making his marketing tricks again).

stwrt

#20 Post by stwrt » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:47 pm

Am I the only audience member who finds that the use of midget stand-ins for the long shots of Hobbits makes it impossible to rewatch these movies in Blu-Ray, there must have been many shots where it wasn't strictly necessary to use the midget stand-ins but as they were getting a salary the accountant insisted they be put to use instead of standing idly around the shoot.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#21 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:40 pm

"For Christ's sake Pete, midget up your shot so we can all go home!"

dx23

#22 Post by dx23 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:11 am

Now for pre-order at amazon.com.

Barmy

#23 Post by Barmy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:19 pm

Nice ripoff. Desperate fans will buy this and then rebuy it when the extended versions come out. Sad. [-X

perkizitore

#24 Post by perkizitore » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:43 pm

I guess i'll have to wait until 2015, to get LOTR with all the extras on blu-ray ( and 2017 to get them for less than 50$). :-"

dx23

#25 Post by dx23 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:41 pm

From blu-ray.com:

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Blu-ray Next Year?

Posted July 27, 2009 10:06 AM by Josh Dreuth

New Line Cinema In an interview with Collider.com, director Peter Jackson gave some insight into the upcoming Blu-ray releases of 'The Lord of the Rings'. He was able to not only confirm what we already knew, that the upcoming Blu-ray release of 'The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy' would present the theatrical versions of the films, but also that the Extended Editions of the films would be available on Blu-ray next year.

According to Jackson, the studio has already spoken to him about developing additional extra content for the 'The Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition Trilogy' Blu-ray release. This new content would presumably be added to the content available on the existing 12-disc DVD box set for the Blu-ray release.

It was previously believed that the Extended Edition Blu-ray release would be held back until the theatrical release of 'The Hobbit', but Jackson's remarks seem to indicated otherwise. Time will tell, but to get a release of this magnitude completed in less than a year (assuming they would start after the November 3rd release of 'The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy') may be a little ambitious.