The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
godardslave

Re: The Ultimate Lord of the Rings DVD Collection

#26 Post by godardslave » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:52 pm

perkizitore wrote:I guess i'll have to wait until 2015, to get LOTR with all the extras on blu-ray ( and 2017 to get them for less than 50$). :-"
Also don't forget by 2019 there will probably be an "even better" home video format than blu-ray with "ultimate" picture and sound quality so then you will have to buy everything again anyway.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#27 Post by Drucker » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:46 pm

godardslave wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:52 pm
perkizitore wrote:I guess i'll have to wait until 2015, to get LOTR with all the extras on blu-ray ( and 2017 to get them for less than 50$). :-"
Also don't forget by 2019 there will probably be an "even better" home video format than blu-ray with "ultimate" picture and sound quality so then you will have to buy everything again anyway.
Accurate guess!

So I've never seen these films but my friends stumbled upon this thread showing how the color temperature has drastically changed in the new 4k. Fair to assume Peter Jackson is tampering with the color timing for every home video release? Or is something else going on with these films?

TheKieslowskiHaze

#28 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:26 pm

Drucker wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:46 pm
So I've never seen these films but my friends stumbled upon this thread showing how the color temperature has drastically changed in the new 4k. Fair to assume Peter Jackson is tampering with the color timing for every home video release? Or is something else going on with these films?
If that's accurate, "tampering" would be putting it lightly. That's total revisionism. The supposed new color timing looks awful. It is just a tweet, so I'm hoping it's inaccurate.

RitrovataBlue

#29 Post by RitrovataBlue » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:50 am

Based on my (admittedly hazy) memory of the theatrical releases of these films, this is actually the most accurate home release *by far*. The screenshot above was taken with a phone and is an SDR pull down of an HDR image. For more accurate stills, check a professional review site.

EddieLarkin

#30 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:20 am

I've no idea which is more accurate to the original theatrical presentation but the UHD looks to be a huge improvement timing wise IMO.
RitrovataBlue wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:50 am
The screenshot above was taken with a phone and is an SDR pull down of an HDR image. For more accurate stills, check a professional review site.
Even then, they'll still be converted to SDR. They'll be good for judging detail levels but colour and range will be "off" compared to how the disc actually appears on a HDR set.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#31 Post by Drucker » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:34 pm

EddieLarkin

#32 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:51 pm

Based on the screenshots? They are from the old Blu-rays.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#33 Post by tenia » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:05 pm

Along with the YouTube comparisons, these smartphones shots to try and compare the color-grading of a SDR Rec709 BD with the one of a Dolby Vision BT2020 UHD is one of the most ludicrous thing I've seen recently. That it's happening on such a high-profile release doesn't surprise me, but this is the race for the scoop in its lowest form. It's of course confusing people to a high level since there is no way this is representative of the UHD actual content but hey, this guy is the one which got them out there first.

At least, blu-ray.com provides an actual review, though the caps are totally pointless since they're from a BD, and the old one on top of that (I thought there would be remastered BDs too ?).

TheKieslowskiHaze

#34 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:22 pm

tenia wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:05 pm
Along with the YouTube comparisons, these smartphones shots to try and compare the color-grading of a SDR Rec709 BD with the one of a Dolby Vision BT2020 UHD is one of the most ludicrous thing I've seen recently. That it's happening on such a high-profile release doesn't surprise me, but this is the race for the scoop in its lowest form. It's of course confusing people to a high level since there is no way this is representative of the UHD actual content but hey, this guy is the one which got them out there first.

At least, blu-ray.com provides an actual review, though the caps are totally pointless since they're from a BD, and the old one on top of that (I thought there would be remastered BDs too ?).
The reviews I've seen so far have quelled my fears. The cited comparison supra is, I think, inaccurate for a few reasons.

And it doesn't look like like a remastered blu-ray will accompany the UHD release, but I wonder about the digital code. It seems it can be redeemed for a digital UHD copy, but I wonder if it also comes with access to a digital HD copy (AND if that HD copy would be the new remaster or the old one). Essentially, I'm wondering if there is any way the new remaster will be available in regular old, 1080p HD.

The blu-ray.com review claims a more complete package is coming in 2021. Maybe that will have 1080p options.

andyli

Re: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

#35 Post by andyli » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:18 am

As far as 1080p HD is concerned, the last edition has already fixed the existing problems and I'm perfectly happy with that set.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#36 Post by tenia » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:29 am

Which "last editions" ? At least for Fellowship, both color gradings (TC and EC) have been controversial and the movie is noticeably DNRed, and I don't recall any version having more than 1 HD master available.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#37 Post by Drucker » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:40 am

I'm so glad this topic is relevant for a film like Lord of the Rings. My three closest friends are film lovers like I am, but I'm the only one who goes nuts about all the things we talk about on this forum (color timing, blu-ray encoding, etc.) But now that it's affecting this film, my best friends are finally seeing it my way and understand the pain I feel when I look at the color timing on something like the Varda set.

andyli

#38 Post by andyli » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:28 am

tenia wrote:Which "last editions" ? At least for Fellowship, both color gradings (TC and EC) have been controversial and the movie is noticeably DNRed, and I don't recall any version having more than 1 HD master available.
I thought the extended cut fixed the DNR issue already? I may have misremembered.

J M Powell

#39 Post by J M Powell » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:26 am

andyli wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:28 am
I thought the extended cut fixed the DNR issue already? I may have misremembered.
But not the color grading problem (way too green), which the new edition fixes.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#40 Post by tenia » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:18 am

andyli wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:28 am
tenia wrote:Which "last editions" ? At least for Fellowship, both color gradings (TC and EC) have been controversial and the movie is noticeably DNRed, and I don't recall any version having more than 1 HD master available.
I might be the one misremembering - I seem to remember the TC and EC having equivalent PQs except for the gradings.
However, I don't think there are different masters for each cut, which is what I originally meant.

Edit : just checked and indeed, the EC BDs were better looking that the TC ones.

captveg

#41 Post by captveg » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:49 pm

Some true comparison images (no phone pics of a TV screen or that ilk) via a blu-ray.com member.

https://m.imgur.com/a/STTa8Sp

Luke M

#42 Post by Luke M » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:21 pm

Looks significantly better. LoTR has grown on me as a trilogy. The fiancee and I make a point to watch it every year. I have an older 4K tv with no HDR but this still looks like a must buy.

ford

#43 Post by ford » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:29 pm

Just got the 4k set. Haven't seen any of them since theaters: should I watch the extended editions or theatrical?

Big Ben

#44 Post by Big Ben » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:31 pm

ford wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:29 pm
Just got the 4k set. Haven't seen any of them since theaters: should I watch the extended editions or theatrical?
Extended. Obviously they're longer but the general consensus I've encountered is that all the films are better in their extended versions.

EddieLarkin

#45 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:58 pm

Peter Jackson prefers the theatricals due to their superior pacing.

Roscoe

#46 Post by Roscoe » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:13 am

ford wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:29 pm
I like the extended editions of FELLOWSHIP and TOWERS very much. RETURN OF THE KING is the one that profits the least from the extra running time.

TheKieslowskiHaze

#47 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:38 am

Video of Peter Jackson talking about the 4K remaster.

Has a very revisionist vibe. He talks multiple times of wanting to make all six films visually "consistent" as if they were "all filmed at the same time." I'm not a fan of that way of thinking about restorations and remasters.

aox

#48 Post by aox » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:51 am

I find the theatrical cuts woefully incomplete twenty years later. They are more like extended trailers, IMO. I only watch the trilogy every 2-3 years, so when diving in, I just prefer to take the deep dive.

J M Powell

#49 Post by J M Powell » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:23 am

There are some scenes in the extended versions that damage the pacing or don't mesh well in one way or another.

Several beats from the extended cuts are redundant with similar beats in the theatricals, and I always get the sense that Jackson managed to add those beats into the scenes that remain in both cuts after having trimmed off the scenes that are now only in the extended versions.

But there are some pretty great bits in the extended versions that I miss when watching the theatricals now. So it's a wash.

(I also don't think I agree that ROTK benefits least from the added material. The stuff in Isengard at the beginning is pretty indispensible.)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#50 Post by Drucker » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:56 am

TheKieslowskiHaze wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:38 am
Video of Peter Jackson talking about the 4K remaster.

Has a very revisionist vibe. He talks multiple times of wanting to make all six films visually "consistent" as if they were "all filmed at the same time." I'm not a fan of that way of thinking about restorations and remasters.
"We didn't have all these toys 20 years ago." That's it. That's the ballgame. Anytime you give the directors these tools, how could they not want to tweak and fix and change?