The OOP Heads-Up Thread

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1226 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:49 am

Sometimes, but not for anything released by Olive

senseabove

#1227 Post by senseabove » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:18 pm

These KLSC titles in the While Supplies Last sale will be going OOP and be pulled from the site soon, if anybody has any recommendations for getting while the getting's good. I know Dwan's Driftwood has been recommended by a few folks...

Becky Sharp
Cover Up
Covered Wagon
Dakota
Daredevils of the Red Circle
Don't Give Up the Ship
Driftwood
El Paso
I, Jane Doe
Last Command
Man Facing Southeast
Man Who Died Twice
Microcosmos
Naked Face
Old Ironsides
Optimists
Papa's Delicate Condition
Pocketful of Miracles
Psychopath
Singing Guns
Star Slammer
Strange Adventure
Sunset in the West
Ten Seconds to Hell
Those Daring Young Men in their Jaunty Jalopies
Tiger by the Tail
Trigger, Jr.
Woman's Devotion
You Never Know Women

therewillbeblus

#1228 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:22 pm

Microcosmos is awesome, like the OG Planet Earth for 90s kids. I have Trigger, Jr. on my to-watch list, which I've heard is a solid western programmer, but haven't delved into my William Whitney personal project just yet. And yes, Driftwood is a masterpiece

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1229 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:27 pm

I don't see Microcosmos as part of that sale. Are we sure it's going OOP?

senseabove

#1230 Post by senseabove » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:42 pm

You're right, it appears to not be part of the sale, but it was listed as one of the titles going OOP.

willoneill

#1231 Post by willoneill » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:48 pm

I quite enjoyed Ten Seconds to Hell, a tight little Hammer thriller about a WWII bomb squad, directed by Robert Aldrich. I did a deep Hammer dive during the first wave of COVID and it stood out for me.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1232 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:49 pm

senseabove wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:18 pm
These KLSC titles in the While Supplies Last sale will be going OOP and be pulled from the site soon, if anybody has any recommendations for getting while the getting's good.
GREAT
Microcosmos

OKAY
A Strange Adventure
Ten Seconds to Hell (this has been “While supplies last” for years now though!)
You Never Know Women

NOT GOOD
Becky Sharp
Cover Up
the Man Who Died Twice

BAD
A Woman's Devotion
I, Jane Doe
Pocketful of Miracles

fdm

#1233 Post by fdm » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:11 pm

Don't know how a 35 years later watch would hold up, but I recall Man Facing Southeast was pretty good.

captveg

#1234 Post by captveg » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:20 pm

KL Insider just stated that Star Slammer was listed by mistake and is not going OOP.

Microcosmos is also being added to the WSL sale.

Pocketful of Miracles BD Only will be added to the WSL sale; DVD is not going OOP.

---

Microcosmos is great, but I personally don't see the need to own it. Agree that Becky Sharp is more of a historical quiz answer (first feature in 3-Strip Technicolor) than a good film.

You Never Know Women is a solid Wellman silent film, but not one I felt the need to keep; others will feel differently and want it. The Naked Face is a sloppy, serviceable, but overall middling murder mystery, with one of the more absurd "gotcha" endings I've seen.

Haven't seen any of the others, but I did just order the following:

The Covered Wagon
Daredevils of the Red Circle
Old Ironsides
Singing Guns
Ten Seconds to Hell

Dr Amicus

#1235 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:44 am

The Psychopath is great - Amicus's version of a Hammer Mini-Hitchcock (written by Robert Bloch and directed by Freddie Francis). I'm disappointed a UK label hasn't picked it up yet...

Glowingwabbit

#1236 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:02 am

Driftwood. Buy Driftwood! It's such a great film.

therewillbeblus

#1237 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:21 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:22 pm
I have Trigger, Jr. on my to-watch list, which I've heard is a solid western programmer, but haven't delved into my William Whitney personal project just yet.
Well, I'm hoping this is an outlier in Whitney's filmography, which I've heard is pretty exciting, because Trigger, Jr. was a complete snoozefest (and even though it would be a terrible film as-is, Whitney takes a couple breaks from an already paper-thin narrative to engage us in some of the worst 'musical western' montages I've seen). Whitney is clearly a competent filmmaker- the late-act actions scenes are pretty impressive- but I'm glad to have sampled this before a blind buy, woof

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#1238 Post by soundchaser » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:46 am

Gotta love that Trigger has his own Letterboxd entry, though.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1239 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:13 am

My favorite Letterboxd entry is for Hitler as actor

colinr0380

#1240 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:38 am

fdm wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:11 pm
Don't know how a 35 years later watch would hold up, but I recall Man Facing Southeast was pretty good.
Of course later remade as K-PAX with *cough* Kevin Spacey *cough*
domino harvey wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:13 am
My favorite Letterboxd entry is for Hitler as actor
Sadly it doesn't include films with Hitler as a character, otherwise they could have included The Last Three aka "That Nazty Nuisance" which includes rather broad portrayals of Hitler and Mussolini, including a pillow fight with a monkey at bedtime!

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#1241 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:30 am

A few of the titles going out of print called out to me The Covered Wagon is no masterpiece, but it’s what let to the revival of the western in the 20s as a more epic genre. Films like 3 Bad Men or The Iron Horse are far superior in this type of mold, but it’s still fascinating nonetheless.

Robert Aldrich’s The Grissom Gang is amongst the grimmest of his late-period works. Practically no one is sympathetic and in addition, everyone just looks gross covered in layers of sweat.

Sergio Corbucci’s The Mercenary is my favorite of all his works. Despite lacking the cynicism that’s key to his major works in favor of more populist fun, his great sense of irony and bitterness really makes this film standout among dozens of other spaghetti westerns. Ennio Morricone was able to crank out several memorable scores a year, but this one is truly spectacular. And if you ever wanted to see Jack Palance in the most ridiculous curly-haired wig, this is the movie for you.

I see The Wrong Guy is going out of print. I’ve had people my whole life telling me that movie is hilarious, but I’ve never seen it.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1242 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:43 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:30 am
Robert Aldrich’s The Grissom Gang is amongst the grimmest of his late-period works. Practically no one is sympathetic and in addition, everyone just looks gross covered in layers of sweat.
Is this one of the OOP titles?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#1243 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:14 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:43 am
The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:30 am
Is this one of the OOP titles?
It is part of the while supplies last sale.

Ribs

#1244 Post by Ribs » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:41 pm

The BFI DVD of Out of the Unknown is being deleted in February. Still available in stock from their store as well as from a few of the usual haunts.

Boosmahn

#1245 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:21 pm

Lots of Discotek (mostly, if not entirely, anime) titles are going OOP. DVD-only titles are going OOP (although a few will likely be reprinted as BDs or SD-BDs), and the Lupin film is the only Blu-ray/DVD combo pack listed in the image with a chance to be reprinted as only a Blu-ray.

These are in addition to other Discotek titles that have gone OOP recently. Also, there might be more newly OOP titles not on this list... I'm not sure.

FrauBlucher

#1246 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:42 pm

The Paterson bluray is only listed on Amazon from sellers for used copies. I also didn't find it on Target, B&N nor Walmart. Is this an indication that it could be OOP? I know how Jim Jarmusch likes controlling his home video releases.

rockyrose089

#1247 Post by rockyrose089 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:24 pm

ianungstad wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:52 am
I would keep an eye on any dvds from TWC. Apparently they turned over the rights to 200 of their catalog titles to Goldman Sachs because they didn't have the money to pay payments on their debt.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/24/business/vray-crackeado -la-fi-ct-weinstein-20100625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weinstein Co. has struck a deal to restructure its debt in the wake of several film flops, but the arrangement leaves the independent production company with a formidable task if it is to turn around its fortunes.

The settlement calls for the New York studio, run by Bob and Harvey Weinstein, to turn over about 200 titles from its film catalog to Goldman Sachs and insurance company Assured Guarantee, which were owed $450 million as part of a $1.2-billion financing package the investment bank arranged for Weinstein Co. when it launched in 2005, two people familiar with the situation said Thursday.

Will be interesting to know what the films are and what exactly will happen to them. Will Goldman Sachs license them out to the highest bider? Will TWC continue distribution paying all revenues to Goldman Sachs? A Combination of both?
What films are involved in the deal between The Weinstein Company (TWC) and Goldman Sachs? And What are the potential outcomes for the films included in the deal?