Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#1251 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:50 pm

Yes, all of the titles dwk listed are coming to Blu next month

PfR73

#1252 Post by PfR73 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:06 pm

therewillbeblus

#1253 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:27 pm

Sergeant York just made my day, glad to see them churning out some long-overdue titles. What an inspirational way to enter the cold months!

Luke M

#1254 Post by Luke M » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:11 pm

Watched Drop Dead Gorgeous earlier this year. Felt like a funnier parody of MAGA people than anything Saturday Night Live has ever done.

Monterey Jack

#1255 Post by Monterey Jack » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:06 pm

...and still no Femme Fatale...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1256 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:46 pm

Yep, lots to celebrate this month!

britcom68

#1257 Post by britcom68 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:10 am

I will echo the cautious praise for Drop Dead Gorgeous arriving on blu. It is at times a little too predictable, but I would say that my cousins in Minnesota who have watched this film adore it, and as someone that lived for decades just south of there in Iowa, the film really does an excellent job at skewering its subjects without feeling like a constant battle against them. If you have not seen it, think of it as a younger and crass version of what Christopher Guest might do if he ever wanted to do a mockumentary version of Smile.

Ribs

#1258 Post by Ribs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:08 pm

Waterloo Bridge (1940) is also coming in October.

captveg

#1259 Post by captveg » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:41 pm

As well as Sunrise at Campobello (1960) and the long ago leaked The Opposite Sex (1956).

To recap the October titles:

Catalog Films
Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999)
The Opposite Sex (1956)
Reversal of Fortune (1990)
Sergeant York (1941)
Sunrise at Campobello (1960)
Waterloo Bridge (1940)

Catalog TV
Space Ghost & Dino Boy: The Complete Series (1966-1968)

Contemporary TV
Black Lightning: The Complete Second Season (2018-2019)
Black Lightning: The Complete Third Season (2019-2020)

Jean-Luc Garbo

#1260 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:49 pm

What great news about Reversal of Fortune! I've been holding onto the flipper case dvd forever hoping for an upgrade. Probably my favorite Irons performance even if Ron Silver is the star although the scenes they share are terrific. Glad that this like Single White Female finally made the hd jump.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1261 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:56 pm

It’s so bizarre that Silver didn’t get an Oscar nom. Like you say, he’s really the lead and I think he’s better than Irons who of course was both nominated and then actually won

Dr Amicus

#1262 Post by Dr Amicus » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:41 pm

But how much of Irons' win was really for Dead Ringers a couple of years before (a much repeated view at the time)? But yes, Silver was great and had a really good run for a couple of years - Enemies: A Love Story, Blue Steel and the rare good-film-about-the-blacklist, Fellow Traveller (which, despite Wiki, got a cinema release at least in the UK - I know, I saw it!)

hearthesilence

#1263 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:41 pm

I haven't seen Reversal in ages, but I recall Irons's part feeling more like a supporting role. Someone pointed out that he thanked David Cronenberg in his Oscar speech - his performance in Dead Ringers was certainly my favorite of his career and if I was able and he was nominated, I probably would've voted for it that year.

therewillbeblus

#1264 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:53 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:41 pm
Someone pointed out that he thanked David Cronenberg in his Oscar speech - his performance in Dead Ringers was certainly my favorite of his career and if I was able and he was nominated, I probably would've voted for it that year.
I actually watch his acceptance speech on YT pretty often for this moment - Cronenberg is the person he takes the most pause in thanking and the applause as Irons shares that moment with him is so humbling. One of my very favorite Oscar speeches, if not my favorite.

beamish14

#1265 Post by beamish14 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:57 pm

The Schroeder/Kazan commentary on Reversal of Fortune is excellent. All business, packed with a ton of great information.

"Air Dersh!" Christ.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1266 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:10 pm

Here are the remaining un-upgraded Warners titles that went up on HBOMax in June, some or all of which might be likely candidates for future WA Blu releases:
Adam's Rib (1949)
Cheyenne Autumn (1964)
Gold Diggers Of 1933 (1933)
Gold Diggers Of 1935 (1935)
Keeper Of The Flame (1942)
The Little Drummer Girl (1984)
Mrs. Soffel (1984)
The Nun's Story (1959)
Rhapsody In Blue (1945)
The Sea Of Grass (1947)
Shoot The Moon (1982)
Shall We Dance (1937)
The Singing Nun (1966)
Tortilla Flat (1942)
Wattstax (1973)

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#1267 Post by soundchaser » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:11 pm

If I remember correctly from reading the Blu-Ray.com forum, none of the Astaire/Rogers films had new masters.

FrauBlucher

#1268 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:29 pm

Were there titles that went up on HBOmax that ended up with Criterion?

Red Screamer

#1269 Post by Red Screamer » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:58 pm

Fingers crossed for the first two of that list...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1270 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:04 pm

The Singing Nun is so bland and forgettable that it is almost surely destined to be upgraded by the clueless decision-makers at this label

senseabove

#1271 Post by senseabove » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:19 pm

JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS: THE COMPLETE ANIMATED SERIES (1970-71), Borzage's THE MORTAL STORM, and Dieterle's TENNESSEE JOHNSON coming in November, the latter two form new 4k scans.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1272 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Hard to think of anything less necessary than Hanna-Barbera cartoons on Blu-Ray

senseabove

#1273 Post by senseabove » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:24 pm

With WAC, if they give me one thing a month I do want—in this case, The Mortal Storm—I could care less what else gets released.

Stefan Andersson

#1274 Post by Stefan Andersson » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:22 pm

The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm is upcoming on Blu and DVD from WAC in 2021. David Strohmaier speaks on the restoration:

"A restored 4K “The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm” trailer has just been shown on the Cinerama louvered 146 degree screen last Sunday at the annual Widescreen Weekend Festival in Bradford, UK. This trailer is a 1961 original MGM five-minute pre-release announcement trailer that was reconstructed from 6-perf Cinerama negatives as well as a 7-channel magnetic soundtrack. (See below) This brings up the restoration efforts currently underway between Cinerama Inc. and Warner Bros. for the complete digital restoration of the roadshow version of what the original ads stated as ”The first Cinerama film to tell a story.” When this project is completed all the Cinerama 3-panel feature films will have been digitally restored.

Tom H. March and I enthusiastically decided to tackle this project since we were allowed to work out of our home offices as I now live in Eagle, Idaho and Tom lives in Calgary, Canada. This decision was made last November long before Covid-19 came on the scene. Tom and I have worked together on several of the Cinerama travelogues as well as “Windjammer” and 2 other non-Cinerama features over the past 6 years. Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging provided the expert scanning of the original 6-perf 3-panel o-negatives and Cinerama Inc. updated my home editing bay with new computers, monitors and appropriate software to accommodate such a 4K restoration.

Many who participate in this forum know that the “Grimm” elements had suffered damage due to some sort of a flood many years ago at MGM and until now there has been an understandable hesitancy to attempt such a digital restoration due to the great expense of dealing with these 3-panel films. Utilizing some new amazing software and much faster computers, it is possible to perform restoration miracles in your own home restoration/edit bay. At this point you might want to see my former comments (#20 in this thread) from back in 2018 called “The Grimm Truth about Brothers Grimm” to get an idea of the challenge we faced. Truth be told, and to my relief, I did not have to follow up with all of my former assumptions.

Fortunately, we found the negatives were in somewhat better condition than a 1994 inspection report seemed to indicate, however still problematic with the many damaged and worn areas. Digital restoration can allow a lot of flexibility that photo chemical or earlier digital work could never accomplish. We can now report that we have repaired all the damaged areas in “Grimm,” including compositing and aligning the 3 panels which now look quite stunning. For those who are very familiar with the 35mm CinemaScope version that has appeared on TCM, this restoration will appear like a completely different film as if it was shot yesterday. We also obtained some IB Technicolor frame clip samples from the Bradford UK print and we feel we can give the final film something very close to the Technicolor look that audiences originally saw back in 1962. Having done all the former Cinerama 1950s travelogues and dealing with their many grain problems, “Grimm” seems to have an almost grainless look to it now, other than some of the vintage 1961 opticals. Correcting some of the damage required several digital passes, that’s why our original composite assembly master (3 panels aligned and joined together) was in 6K so we could suffer multiple digital passes, however the actual restoration work is being done in 4K for speed and rendering efficiency. As with Warner Bros. “How the West Was Won” digital remastering back in 2008, the legendary Cinerama join lines are practically invisible with “Grimm” as well.

We are remastering the film in both letterbox and SmileBox formats for eventual Blu-ray and DVD release from the Warner Archive Collection sometime later in 2021. I noticed in earlier comments that someone believed Cinerama Inc. pressured WB to release “How the West Was Won” in SmileBox. That is simply untrue, Warner Bros. asked for SmileBox early in the game for the “West” release. Due to the stunning reviews and comments for the “West” release, they clearly indicated to me, the SmileBox was a big part of that success as well as the inclusion of my documentary “Cinerama Adventure.” The only thing Cinerama Inc. ever required of a distributor was that Flicker Alley release the original travelogues in SmileBox in order to be more faithful to the original roadshow releases. It was I who insisted on adding the Cinerama Dome curtains to recreate as close as possible the original roadshow presentations for the home video release. FYI all the 1950s travelogues I have done exist in both straight SmileBox, SmileBox with curtains, and Letterbox digital masters. “Grimm” will grace the Cinerama Dome screen in Hollywood sometime next year before the eventual home video release. Since the project started last November, I have to say it has been a real pleasure working with Cinerama’s Jim Vandever and the Warner Bros. people such as George Feltenstein, Steven Anastasi and Craig Johnson. They are as thrilled as Tom and I to see it finally coming to fruition. A 15 to 20 minute documentary is also being planned about this restoration by award winning documentary filmmaker, Harrison Engle, to include interviews with the team and several before and after examples explaining in layman's terms how the project was accomplished."

"We are building the complete roadshow version with all the Overtures, Enter act & Exit music direct from the original 7-channel 35mm magnetic print masters."

Source: two separate posts here:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/commun ... 28/page-25
"

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#1275 Post by soundchaser » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:28 pm

Libeled Lady and The Pirate coming to Blu-Ray in the second half of November.