Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Ribs

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#1751 Post by Ribs » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:13 am

Really starting to feel like somebody put a brick on the accelerator with how oddly stacked with good stuff the lineups have been for three months going now…

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1752 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:27 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:38 am
Angel with Dirty Faces will be released in December
Completely inexplicable that this wasn’t upgraded years ago with the rest of the first gangsters box

dwk

#1753 Post by dwk » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:40 pm

Weren't there rumors that Angels with Dirty Faces was held up because of some legal issue?

Maltic

#1754 Post by Maltic » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:52 pm

Time to dust off Naremore's book on acting, with its chapter on Cagney's performance

captveg

#1755 Post by captveg » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:20 pm

dwk wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:40 pm
Weren't there rumors that Angels with Dirty Faces was held up because of some legal issue?
Not a rumor - was outright stated as the holdup by Feltenstein on the WAC podcast a couple years ago.

Now, if only they could get around to The Roaring Twenties

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1756 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:44 pm

captveg wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:20 pm

They do love finishing earlier DVD boxes, so I bet it happens assuming the elements allow it— though I forgot that first volume had that one too!

hearthesilence

#1757 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:15 pm

captveg wrote:
I thought that was coming imminently when they did Public Enemy but that was years ago. I saw both not too long ago - Cagney's glorious in both but The Roaring Twenties has so much more going for it as a film.

TMDaines

#1758 Post by TMDaines » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:16 pm

HMV are still motoring along releasing many of these in the UK in their specially packaged Premium Collection. We’re getting The Shop Around the Corner in time for Christmas!

dwk

#1759 Post by dwk » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:24 pm

captveg wrote:

Not a rumor - was outright stated as the holdup by Feltenstein on the WAC podcast a couple years ago.

Thanks. The only reason I said rumor is that I couldn't remember where I had seen/heard that it had legal issues.

Speaking of rumors, isn't The Roaring Twenties rumored to be with Criterion.

Ribs

#1760 Post by Ribs » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:11 am

George Feltenstein made another appearance on the Let’s Get Physical podcast, and discussed working on a 4K release for next year of an older film that previously was released on Blu without its original mono, which seems considering its anniversary extremely likely to be Singin’ in the Rain.

He also said that after many years the feature films owned by HBO now fall into the remit he has control over and the process has begun to begin the process leading to releasing some of those, the first priority being the Hitcher.

FrauBlucher

#1761 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:15 am

If there is a title that makes a lot of sense for Warner to do a 4K UHD upgrade it is Singin’ In the Rain. It does sound like they are going to be very picky on what Classic Hollywood titles get an upgrade.

L.A.

#1762 Post by L.A. » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:40 pm

CineSavant reviews for:

Mad Love
The Ghost Ship + Bedlam

captveg

#1763 Post by captveg » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:59 pm

Ribs wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:11 am
He also said that after many years the feature films owned by HBO now fall into the remit he has control over and the process has begun to begin the process leading to releasing some of those, the first priority being the Hitcher.
Bring on the 4K UHD of ¡Three Amigos! (1986) :wink:

(In all seriousness, I would buy it)
FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:15 am
If there is a title that makes a lot of sense for Warner to do a 4K UHD upgrade it is Singin’ In the Rain. It does sound like they are going to be very picky on what Classic Hollywood titles get an upgrade.
Anything pre-80s is likely to be VERY strong evergreen titles when it comes to 4K UHD upgrades. Singin' in the Rain seems the most obvious, but I'm thinking the other staples - Casablanca, Bonnie & Clyde, Network, Dog Day Afternoon, Deliverance, Ben-Hur, etc - are the only ones to expect over the next couple years, sprinkled in among the more frequent 1980s-2010s catalog 4K UHD releases.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1764 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:22 pm

He also confirmed that after many months packed with releases, the two announced titles for December are it for the month

beamish14

#1765 Post by beamish14 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:08 pm

Ribs wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:11 am

Head Office and Ricochet would be amazing. The latter has only been out on an atrocious non-anamorphic disc.

therewillbeblus

#1766 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:53 am

I don't feel like scouting the blu-ray.com forums any longer than I already have, but does anyone have a pulse on the quality of shorts on Tex Avery vol. 3? I really liked the first volume, but found the second incredibly underwhelming content-wise. Curious if there are gems saved for the third volume that'll make it a worthy pickup

FrauBlucher

#1767 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:15 am

bluray.com
Warner Archive's Tex Avery Screwball Classics, Volume 3 marks a nice rebound from the somewhat fumbled second volume, at least from a technical perspective: under the circumstances these shorts look outstanding, and they fact that they're all presented uncut is another cause for celebration.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1768 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:17 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:53 am
I don't feel like scouting the blu-ray.com forums any longer than I already have, but does anyone have a pulse on the quality of shorts on Tex Avery vol. 3? I really liked the first volume, but found the second incredibly underwhelming content-wise. Curious if there are gems saved for the third volume that'll make it a worthy pickup
For what it's worth, I consider these to be the top-tier Avery films, by volume:

Bad Luck Blackie
Red Hot Riding Hood
Screwball Squirrel
The Screwy Truant
Symphony in Slang

The Cat That Hated People
Dixieland Droopy
Magical Maestro

Blitz Wolf
Deputy Droopy
King-Size Canary
Little 'Tinker
Northwest Hounded Police
Rock-a-Bye Bear

therewillbeblus

#1769 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:30 am

Thanks swo, that's just the push I needed

ianthemovie

#1770 Post by ianthemovie » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:06 pm

I'll second the recommendations for Blitz Wolf and King-Size Canary from Volume 3. Joe Adamson and Jonathan Rosenbaum have also singled out Little 'Tinker. Señor Droopy is considered by many to be a classic, though I don't remember finding it very special. (I haven't picked up Volume 3 yet but I'm hoping to get it for Christmas.)

Raymond Durgnat had this to say about Slap-Happy Lion, which I'd say has me sold (I haven't seen it before): "[Its premise] is given astonishing virulence by Avery's visual ideas...There are incongruities within incongruities...The terrifying and the ludicrous splendidly alternate... People often find this cartoon emotionally upsetting, not because it isn't funny, but because it's vivid too, and they are mesmerized with horror even as they laugh."

L.A.

#1771 Post by L.A. » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:47 pm

CineSavant’s review for The Naked Spur

hearthesilence

#1772 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:52 pm

I loved Homesteader Droopy when I was a kid.
SpoilerShow
"Moo-moo! Ba-ba! Moo-moo! Ba-ba!"
"What's a moo-moo, ba-ba?"
"SHEEP STUPID!"
There's also a surreal one where a sheep or a lamb (or goat?) eats the floral pattern off a curtain - like, the curtain manages to stay completely still while the vegetation printed on it gets slurped up. I'll have to find out which short that is.

captveg

#1773 Post by captveg » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:34 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Bill Hunt is saying his sources have confirmed a 2022 4K UHD release of Singin' in the Rain (and The Lost Boys).

Also, The Green Mile has gone up at some retailers for a 4K UHD release in early 2022.

FrauBlucher

#1774 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:23 pm

captveg wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:59 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
Anything pre-80s is likely to be VERY strong evergreen titles when it comes to 4K UHD upgrades. Singin' in the Rain seems the most obvious, but I'm thinking the other staples - Casablanca, Bonnie & Clyde, Network, Dog Day Afternoon, Deliverance, Ben-Hur, etc - are the only ones to expect over the next couple years, sprinkled in among the more frequent 1980s-2010s catalog 4K UHD releases.
I think in terms of Classic Hollywood, (1930s, 1940s & 1950s) I suspect that the color films have the best chance to get a UHD upgrade. The B&Ws from that era will probably have a harder time. Casablanca because of it's status is the top candidate, but I can also see WB sending it Criterion's way. I can't really think of any other B&W film WB would do all they can to upgrade, at least early on. Maybe if the format picks up things could change. It will be interesting to see what they do with Gone With the Wind

ShempTCat

#1775 Post by ShempTCat » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:19 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:23 pm
I think in terms of Classic Hollywood, (1930s, 1940s & 1950s) I suspect that the color films have the best chance to get a UHD upgrade. The B&Ws from that era will probably have a harder time. Casablanca because of it's status is the top candidate, but I can also see WB sending it Criterion's way. I can't really think of any other B&W film WB would do all they can to upgrade, at least early on.[/i]
What about King Kong as a B&W UHD upgrade from WB?