Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Luke M

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#1476 Post by Luke M » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:12 am

20% off worked for me too. Came out to $49.99 for 5 titles. This sale will be missed.

What A Disgrace

#1477 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:33 am

Code worked for me, too. 20 titles for $193.20.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1478 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:36 am

U.S. shipping only is real bummer.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#1479 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:41 am

I was surprised to see Cory Finley’s Bad Education from just last year tucked away deep in the recesses of the sale pages, but it’s worth a look for anyone who might be interested and not subscribed to HBO Max...

hearthesilence

#1480 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:57 am

Cash Flagg wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:31 am
The final (?) 4/$44 sale is live - use the code SHOPWB15 for an additional 15% off. Baby Doll isn’t included.

Edit: Someone posted that the code WBED20 gives you 20% off, but I had already placed my order with the other code so can’t verify.
THANK YOU!!

I thought last Black Friday's deal couldn't be topped, but this did it, and since it was the last sale, I just splurged and got a baker's dozen. There were only four titles on my want list so I wound up piling on nine more. It was nearly ten, but I've never liked Mister Roberts every time I've seen it, so I decided to let that one go.

After taxes, it was still less than $10 per title.

kuzine

#1481 Post by kuzine » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:06 am

Best Years of Our Lives is also included. [and another thanks for that 20% off code!]

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1482 Post by cdnchris » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:29 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:41 am
I was surprised to see Cory Finley’s Bad Education from just last year tucked away deep in the recesses of the sale pages, but it’s worth a look for anyone who might be interested and not subscribed to HBO Max...
I saw that, added it, but had to pull it out of the cart to make room for others, more because we do have HBO Max so I can watch it there for now. But I second the recommendation on it.

J Wilson

#1483 Post by J Wilson » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:51 pm

Code no longer works. Told me to enter a valid code.

therewillbeblus

#1484 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:09 pm

Well that sucks, the 15% code works though
Last edited by therewillbeblus on Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fdm

#1485 Post by fdm » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:13 pm

I did get SHOPWB15 to work not that long ago, a few minutes after your post J Wilson, but WBED20 didn't work.

So I guess I was pretty lucky. Plus topcashback too, theoretically.

DeprongMori

#1486 Post by DeprongMori » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:21 pm

The 20% code didn’t work for me, but the 15% did. Thanks for the tip.

Aside from these, there were others I would have loved to pick up, including some upgrades from DVD, but budget being what it is and the latest KL sale having a small stack of titles in my cart...

*The Shop Around the Corner BD
*The Pirate BD
*The Harvey Girls BD
*Mister Roberts BD
*The Mortal Storm BD
*Run of the Arrow DVD
*Curse of Frankenstein BD
*The Sea Hawk BD
*House of Wax BD
*Jeremiah Johnson BD
*The Best Years of Our Lives BD

Is this *really* the last “4 for $44” sale? I may have to make a second visit before the sale is over.

therewillbeblus

#1487 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:40 pm

I was mistaken and corrected my post, the 15% code does still work.. My cart is insanely bloated right now, and a busy day at work is going to stop me from being able to whittle down and purchase for a bit, but I'm really torn between splurging on like 20-30 titles or just accepting that maybe I won't plan to own some of these. No idea why they'd stop this 4 for 44 sale, I don't see how it makes sense, but hey, I'm not a finance guy.

Glowingwabbit

#1488 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:00 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:40 pm
No idea why they'd stop this 4 for 44 sale, I don't see how it makes sense, but hey, I'm not a finance guy.
It has to do with the Universal merger and change of operations at the wbshop. It's totally possible they'll do similar sales but we just wont know until it happens.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1489 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:22 pm

As a Canadian, this is frustrating, so I ended coping with that by ordering 8 titles that were down just under $ 15 at deepdiscount (for the first time) - which came out to $127 U.S. with the shipping, roughly 159 Canadian dollars. If I do a comparison with Amazon.ca for the same titles, that would have come out to 287 Canadian dollars!

therewillbeblus

#1490 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:43 pm

Damn.. that's wild! I just fear-bought 21 titles, which coupled with today's even-more-outlandish Indicator purchase puts me way in the red. I suppose I've probably saved enough this last year to rationalize it (mostly due to refraining from ordering much on Amazon.uk, what with the insane shipping charges) so I'm trying to think of this as a one-year-anniversary-of-U.S.-COVID-lockdown "You Made It" present to myself. Still, today I'm feeling that distantly familiar pre-COVID wallet-burn.

hearthesilence

#1491 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:48 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:21 pm
*Jeremiah Johnson BD
OT, ever since The Simpsons, I snicker on the inside whenever I see that title.
therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:43 pm
Damn.. that's wild! I just fear-bought 21 titles, which coupled with today's even-more-outlandish Indicator purchase puts me way in the red. I suppose I've probably saved enough this last year to rationalize it (mostly due to refraining from ordering much on Amazon.uk, what with the insane shipping charges) so I'm trying to think of this as a one-year-anniversary-of-U.S.-COVID-lockdown "You Made It" present to myself. Still, today I'm feeling that distantly familiar pre-COVID wallet-burn.
Between the Criterion, Indicator, Twilight Time, Kino and WBShop sales of the past few weeks, it's enough to put anyone deep in the red. Personally, I save virtually all of my shopping for those labels for those particular sales - unless a great deal comes up that's unlikely to be matched or surpassed, I rarely purchase any of those label titles the rest of the year. It winds up being a few big splurges but I probably end up spending much less in the long run.

This time around, I skipped the Indicator, Twilight Time and Kino sales, nothing listed was a title that I was looking for. I was already planning to get four from the WB sale (five if Baby Doll had been included), but I blew past that because the overall deal was too good to pass up. You can always sell the ones you don't want, and most likely you'll break even or lose the equivalent of a low but common video rental fee.

therewillbeblus

#1492 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:43 pm

I have zero experience selling, and have a huge pile-up of blu-rays for when I decide to figure out how to do it, but ideally yes. For instance, I've been sitting on two extra sealed copies of the BFI Celine and Julie blu for years, and now unloading them is a bit muted by the CC!

hearthesilence

#1493 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:46 pm

It's too bad there's no Discogs for movies. (They tried, but after a beta run they shut it down, possibly because they didn't think there were enough users to make it worthwhile.)

Finch

#1494 Post by Finch » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:23 pm

I got the two Tex Avery collections as well as The Shop Around The Corner and Wagon Master. Leaving The Letter, To Have and Have Not, Baby Doll and Salem's Lot (and maybe The Pirate) for whenever Deep Discount or someone else decides to do a Warner sale. My thanks too for the 15% code!

My wallet doesn't look too great either now, so hoping no one else does a sale (I've already skipped the Kino sale) in the UK until well after Criterion's B&N one in June.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#1495 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:49 pm

Sort of sad that this is the end of the 4 for $44 sale. I think I've purchased from every single one of these sales for the last three years now. I also have to thank Cash Flagg for the code. It worked when I placed my order at 7am Pacific time today! Picked up six titles for a measly $60 including shipping. I had to restrain myself after Indicator's sale, but looking forward to the new 4K remaster of Good News most of all.

captveg

#1496 Post by captveg » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:37 pm

Chariots of Fire (1981) and Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) reissues on 4/20/21

Gregory

#1497 Post by Gregory » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:40 pm

As long as they're rereleasing former Digibook releases like those, why don't they make King Kong 1933 available again? They've consigned it to spotty availability for years now. I realize that it's possible it would benefit from a new restoration, but I doubt they'll do that, and probably no one would complain that a Warner Archive release wasn't an improvement over the original Blu-ray (that's not how the label works). So what's the holdup?

captveg

#1498 Post by captveg » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:06 pm

The King Kong (1933) blu-ray did get a reissue in 2017 through regular WB distribution (under the "Monster Mayhem" line), but that also seems to be OOP. Seems like it may be the type of evergreen title and one of the few older B&W films that WB may have kept back from the archives for possible 4K UHD release. That, or perhaps they licensed it to Criterion.

Gregory

#1499 Post by Gregory » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:33 pm

I don't understand why that 2017 release dropped out of print after a little over two years. A UHD release based on very imperfect elements would really surprise me for various reasons — they've barely even released 1930s films on Blu-ray until pretty recently. But if that were happening, they could still do an Archive Blu-release in the meantime before then, right? Speculation that they licensed it to Criterion has been going on for years now, and I think at a certain point one has to accept that that's not what's been in the works all this time. It's possible that that's the answer to the first sentence of this post. WB's treatment of this title makes it very hard to figure out what could be going on.

For the record, here's the excruciating slow-motion expansion of 1930s Blu-rays in the WAC:
2012–2014: 0
2015: 1 (42nd Street)
2016: 0
2017: 0
2018: 0
2019: 3 (Footlight Parade, The Thin Man, Jezebel)
2020: 4 (Dodsworth, The Mystery of the Wax Museum, Kentucky Kernels, Libeled Lady)
2021 so far: 4 (After the Thin Man, A Tale of Two Cities, San Francisco, Mutiny on the Bounty)

captveg

#1500 Post by captveg » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:40 pm

Well, I'm basing the logic on knowing that they've discussed putting Casablanca (1942) out on UHD for a few years now, but have yet to pull the trigger. Certain titles are still considered "too big" to give to Warner Archive, and in the last few years it's usually because there are 4K UHD considerations going on.