DVD Library

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
FrauBlucher

Re: DVD Library

#501 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:31 pm

Wait till he decides to redesign the cover art. :lol:

colinr0380

#502 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:40 pm

I'm glad that someone else imported the Alexander Kluge set to the UK!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#503 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 21, 2023 7:51 pm

After 14 years of my movies living in crates, boxes, and tubs, (most of) my discs are finally shelved

(Fellini and Bergman sets are in the film books bookcase in another room) (Can you figure out the sorting sections?) (There are still six crates of unwatched movies in our bedroom closet) (Don’t ask me what happens if I want to display more than 10 of those, as I’m building this plane while flying it)

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#504 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun May 21, 2023 8:13 pm

Congratulations domino!

Looks nice. TV and film noir 1st at the top but the rest I can't figure out despite recognizing several of your sets/discs. You definitely don't have all directors' works together because Mr. Arkadin and Citizen Kane are in different sections! (The Rohmer sets are together though I see.)

SeizureMilk

#505 Post by SeizureMilk » Sun May 21, 2023 8:19 pm

I’m very impressed Mrs. Domino, may I ask what you’re favorite and least favorite items are in your collection?

FrauBlucher

#506 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun May 21, 2023 8:34 pm

Looks beautiful Domino!! Off hand you know the number of discs? And congrats on being able to take a bath.

edit: My disc organizing is by years.
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Sun May 21, 2023 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Finch

#507 Post by Finch » Sun May 21, 2023 8:42 pm

Missed seeing everyone else's pictures of their collections. Hope there'll be more. Mine is just two tall black Billy bookcases with one extra shelf atop each but I need to buy at least one more of those.

denti alligator

#508 Post by denti alligator » Sun May 21, 2023 8:46 pm

Domino, looks nice. And it looks like TV is one the top shelves. Can’t figure the rest.

I too use Billys: 2 wide + one narrow with upper extensions on each and extra shelves. Works well, though I’ve cleared out so much over the years. I finally decided to put films by directors I have more than 2 films by together. The rest go alphabetically by title.

therewillbeblus

#509 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun May 21, 2023 9:13 pm

Looks very nice! We seem to organize pretty similarly - I notice that there are selective genres (noir, musical, western) and auteurs (Allen, Godard, Hitchcock, et al) but then alphabetical based on maybe who you do or don’t care to select by (which is why Welles’ films aren’t bunched all together), or perhaps to some degree arbitrarily (I have a ton of Fassbinder films but don’t have a section for him, probably because it’s rare I’m in the mood for a “Fassbinder film” the way I am for an Allen or Baumbach or Hitchcock or Godard or von Trier). The main difference is that I usually opt for auteur over genre if there’s an overlap (so Nashville is with Altman and not in my Musical section, the Preminger noirs are with him in the auteur section and not in with my Noirs, etc.) but also feel less motivated to create genre sections for something as sprawling as Horror because it’s so vast, so they just get lumped in with alphabetical or auteur. Noir, musicals, westerns, and experimental are the only genres I have isolated from the rest - Do I detect a genre section under your Westerns that I’m unable to make out?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#510 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 21, 2023 9:19 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:34 pm
Off hand you know the number of discs?
I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500. 22 of my 24 tubs fit in here (and the spillover of “I like enough to keep but not enough to prioritize shelf space” fit under the bed)

And thanks everyone! For anyone trying to replicate, this is the set up plus eight extra shelves (2 per connected case)

Re: sorting: TWBB/Rayon Vert are correct, there is an auteur case but also some auteurs didn’t make it because I’m rarely thinking of them in that context (but also because of space constraints). There are two additional groupings beneath the Westerns in that case. All top shelves are TV (noir and noir adjacent above the noirs, the rest alphabetical. The plain Blu cases are DVD-Rs of Ed) plus EIT

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#511 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun May 21, 2023 11:00 pm

And hey, I like that you like Moonlighting. I have those DVD sets too, though I haven't opened any of them! (Not since watching them when they actually played on TV in the 80s - my favorite show at the time.) Hopefully they'll get upgraded to BR one day.

therewillbeblus

#512 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon May 22, 2023 1:17 am

I spot Modern Romance and Broadcast News (not sure if it's a point of pride or embarrassment that I've watched my copy often enough to recognized the color-coding of the spine from memory) so that's Romance, or some idiosyncratic version of it. Not sure about the one below

FrauBlucher

#513 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon May 22, 2023 6:08 am

I’m curious about the Law and Order box. It says complete series but isn’t there still new shows?

As for sorting, here is an OCD question, if you ever change the way you feel about an auteur do you move their films?

colinr0380

#514 Post by colinr0380 » Mon May 22, 2023 1:17 pm

Where's the Chabrol shrine area domino? [-(

(I also like the aggressively pruned and curated Simpsons sets, of only Season 3-9!)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#515 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 22, 2023 4:15 pm

Someone doesn’t recognize the massive Pathfinder box set!

The LAO Complete Series is from after the show was cancelled post season 20. It has come back recently though! My set is a professional looking bootleg (sadly something I realized much later after purchasing on eBay), but I replaced all the single layered Chinese discs inside with real retail copies but kept the box packaging

The auteur ranking is so arbitrary, it’s more that if I’m looking for Lady From Shanghai, I’m going to Noir first, not necessarily that I feel any certain way about Welles. But Sunset Blvd and Double Indemnity are in the auteurs with other Wilders, so, like, who knows man
therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 1:17 am
I spot Modern Romance and Broadcast News (not sure if it's a point of pride or embarrassment that I've watched my copy often enough to recognized the color-coding of the spine from memory) so that's Romance, or some idiosyncratic version of it. Not sure about the one below
Not romance, much simpler/less interesting

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#516 Post by swo17 » Mon May 22, 2023 4:24 pm

Albert Einstein movies

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#517 Post by Drucker » Mon May 22, 2023 4:56 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:15 pm

The LAO Complete Series is from after the show was cancelled post season 20. It has come back recently though! My set is a professional looking bootleg (sadly something I realized much later after purchasing on eBay), but I replaced all the single layered Chinese discs inside with real retail copies but kept the box packaging

The auteur ranking is so arbitrary, it’s more that if I’m looking for Lady From Shanghai, I’m going to Noir first, not necessarily that I feel any certain way about Welles. But Sunset Blvd and Double Indemnity are in the auteurs with other Wilders, so, like, who knows man
therewillbeblus wrote:
Did you not post for two months because you had to organize your DVDs this way? Were you actually living Rob Gordon's life?

colinr0380

#518 Post by colinr0380 » Mon May 22, 2023 5:27 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Ah, I see it now! In the second picture, left hand shelf, four rows down counting from the top! (I have tried to block the hideous packaging from my memory and have that same giant box set hidden by the side of my computer desk along with other unwieldy boxsets that I feel like I do not want any casual visitor to just happen across casually (such as that Anchor Bay Tombs of the Blind Dead coffin box)

And are all the titles to the right individual Chabrols, since I see the recent Arrow "Lies & Deceit" set near to the end of that shelf? I must admit that I was looking for a little framed picture flanked by votive candles, but the Pathfinder box will have to suffice.
swo17 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:24 pm
Albert Einstein movies
That presumably goes in the romance section too, since if I.Q. (and to a lesser extent Insignificance) taught me anything it was that Einstein was most famous for being a matchmaker.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue May 23, 2023 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

therewillbeblus

#519 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon May 22, 2023 6:15 pm

domino harvey wrote:
therewillbeblus wrote:
Huh, well I think I spot the Die Hard and Back to the Future sets, so it could be Holiday favorites, since I know you like the fourth Die Hard for July 4th (the first two are Christmas), Modern Romance and Broadcast News could both work for Valentine's Day... Back to the Future doesn't really ascribe to a holiday though. So maybe comfort movies, but the Brooks is incredibly uncomfortable! Or All-time favs. Not sure how to get simpler or less interesting than "Romance"

Tom Amolad

#520 Post by Tom Amolad » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:20 pm

Does anyone have recommendations for shelves that aren't more than about 52-54 inches high? I love the Ikea Billys, but for another space, I'm limited as to height. There are lots on offer with the usual fixed three shelves (or, bewilderingly, two!), but one ought to be able to get at leaset five, mayve even 6 shelves of DVDs into that space.

therewillbeblus

#521 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:11 pm

Tom Amolad wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:20 pm
Does anyone have recommendations for shelves that aren't more than about 52-54 inches high? I love the Ikea Billys, but for another space, I'm limited as to height.
I'm a big fan of the 'Sauder Multimedia Storage Tower - Cinnamon Cherry'. They hold a fair amount of discs for the size, and are barely over 40 inches high, so using the top to store a row of LE boxes is clutch
Pics - Spoiler'd for SizeShow
ImageImage
I'm in the opposite boat - moving in Sept, and being "gently urged" to congregate my discs into taking up less wall space. So I'm looking to either get a few more Billies and move these other to those, or get other tall shelves that are more even better at condensing media. Would love recs

(And if you're in Boston around September, I'll probably be looking to shed at least 2-3 of my 4 Sauders.,)

Tom Amolad

#522 Post by Tom Amolad » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:45 pm

Ooh, that looks about perfect. Thanks! If I were a little closer to Boston, I might try to take them off your hands.

Matt

#523 Post by Matt » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:23 pm

domino harvey wrote:After 14 years of my movies living in crates, boxes, and tubs, (most of) my discs are finally shelved
After 14 years of having all my discs on shelves, I may be reaching the point of having to put some in crates, boxes, or tubs. (No more room on the shelves, no room for more shelves.)

Does anyone have any recommendations for stackable Rubbermaid-style totes/bins/tubs with lids that comfortably fit DVDs? They’ll go in my attic along with the several bins of books I’ve read but don’t want to get rid of because I might read them again someday.

criterionsnob

#524 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:34 am

My partner introduced me to cardboard comic boxes, which are the perfect size for holding DVDs and Blu-rays. Very stackable, and not so big that they're hard to move around. My clothes closet is full of them!

kekid

#525 Post by kekid » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:52 am

Many of the CD's I own come in box sets that have a lot of empty room. I have thought of placing related CD's in those boxes. To do this, I need cardboard sleeves for CD's that fit into the boxes. (Most boxes are fairly uniform length and width) The cardboard sleeves I have found so far are too big to fit into these boxes. Does anyone know of a place cardboard sleeves that fit into standard CD boxes are available?