Technical Issues and Questions

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#1851 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:25 pm

So, really basic question: I just got my Oppo UDP-203 and tried simply plugging it in, turning it on, and inserting the same HDMI output cable I was using for my BD player. The player powers on, but somewhere in the chain from HDMI cable to converter box to receiver to projector, it's not transmitting a signal. Do I need to upgrade something else for this to be able to work? I'm not trying to output a 4K signal yet, just any signal at all to make sure the player works

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1852 Post by Drucker » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:24 pm

Have you accidentally hit the "pure audio" button on the remote?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1853 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:52 pm

Unfortunately, toggling that on and off doesn't change anything

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1854 Post by swo17 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:23 am

OK, I've tried a few different setups with equipment of various ages and one of them (a relatively newish 1080p TV) does work, so I can only conclude that certain equipment is too old to even recognize a signal from the player. Actually, when I first turn the player on on the others, I can often see an "Ultra HD Blu-ray" screen before it quickly goes black and loses the signal. Not sure at what step of the chain it's losing compatibility, but at least I can use the player now to otherwise test its functionality

EddieLarkin

#1855 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:39 am

Are your cables HDMI 1.4 (otherwise known as high speed HDMI)? And what's this "converter box"? What model projector do you have?

Adam X

#1856 Post by Adam X » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:14 am

“What’s the converter” is definitely the first thing that needs clarification. My guess is an HDMI extender?

Though the fact that you’re briefly seeing the player’s startup screen makes it sound like the issue is most likely a loose connection or dodgy cable somewhere in the chain.

With everything up and running, I’d try checking all video cable connections, and maybe reseat them one at a time, waiting a bit each time to see if the projector regains a signal. If that doesn’t work, you may need to try replacing one of the cables, starting with the HDMI as Eddie suggested.

It also wouldn’t hurt to double-check that the player is set to output at a resolution that your projector can handle.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1857 Post by swo17 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:21 pm

Thanks for the tips, everyone! The issue was simply that I needed to change a video setting on the player to output only a 1080p signal to my more antiquated setup. The player works fine now, and I can finally watch those Crash extras

Adam X

#1858 Post by Adam X » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:53 pm

No worries

kekid

#1859 Post by kekid » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:07 pm

I have found subtitles for a dvd that does not have English subtitles. I am using OPPO 205 with a USB drive containing the subtitles. The subtitles are out of sync. OPPO allows sync adjustment using one of the options. My question is, is there an efficient way to determine how many seconds adjustment is needed, and in which direction? Is there a way to pause the image at a chosen point and see the subtitles move back and forth until the right sync is obtained? Thank you.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#1860 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:49 pm

What's the easiest way to stream 3D blurays to an Oculus Quest 2? Do I need to rip the files and play them through a built in player?

Adam X

#1861 Post by Adam X » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:48 pm

kekid wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:07 pm
I have found subtitles for a dvd that does not have English subtitles.
It might be better to ask that in this thread, kekid.

Jonathan S

#1862 Post by Jonathan S » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:34 am

Has anyone had any trouble playing BD 1 of SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (Scope version)? Either the Warner Archive or more particularly the UK's HMV Premium release which I believe is a direct port. The middle of the film (the barn dance or just after) freezes on both my Panasonic and Sony players, though the disc was bought new and appears perfect. If it's a dual-layer disc (?) I assume the problem point must be around the the layer change... (HMV have a no-exchange online policy, even for faulty goods, so I can't simply return it to try another copy.)

Kris

#1863 Post by Kris » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:17 pm

Jonathan S wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:34 am
Has anyone had any trouble playing BD 1 of SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (Scope version)?
My HMV disc (bought a few months ago) played flawlessly on my Oppo BDP 103 and also did not seem to trouble the Sony UBP-X700 when I just played the barne dance scene. The disc is indeed dual layered, but I have no idea when exactly the layer change occurs.

senseabove

#1864 Post by senseabove » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:11 am

fdm wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:45 pm
I would imagine that your 4K disc player would have two HDMI outputs, in which case you could probably use one of the HDMI outputs to feed the receiver directly for audio and the other to feed the tv directly for 4k video. No ARC needed this way. That HDMI connection to your receiver would then provide you with lossless 5.1 audio, whereas with plain old ARC you would be stuck with lossy DD 5.1 at best.
Alas, feeding the audio to the receiver and the video to the TV introduces a significant audio lag, and my receiver only has the ability to delay it more, not drag it back. Seems like I'll have to just use ARC sound for the UHD player until I can upgrade my receiver, because I haven't found anything on the player itself that would affect audio sync, nor on the TV (though its menus are vast and comically full of secrets...).

fdm

#1865 Post by fdm » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:15 am

Kind of wondered about that. I ran into something like that with my Oppo, but I set its AV/Sync setting to 120 ms once upon a time. Probably still set that way. In this case I recall it is the TV's video processing that results in the audio showing up early (the opposite of what you are seeing), so the 120ms delay syncs things up. [But that could have just been with my older receiver, as that was run with 2 hdmi cables, whereas my current receiver uses just the one hdmi cable]

DeprongMori

#1866 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:15 pm

Just found out there is an unresolvable issue with my Panasonic UB820 UHD region-free player not being able to play PAL content correctly. (Example: Region A/B/C disk “Witchfinder General” from Odeon has supplements in 720x576/50i, which the UB820 only outputs as audio, no video. The content plays fine on my Seiki Blu-ray player.) Bombay Electronics confirmed this is a known issue with the Panasonic UHD players. It’s a shame as I otherwise love the player.

They are suggesting a replacement of Sony X1100 or X800. My needs are relatively simple. All output from the player is routed through the HDMI to a Marantz NR1607, and from there to the speakers and Samsung PN51E550 HDTV. (It’ll probably be a few years before I upgrade the screen, but want to be able to play UHD media now.) I need Blu-ray and DVD multi-region playback, PAL format playback, 3D Blu playback, and HDR10+ and DolbyVision for the UHD disks for the future.

I’ll be looking in detail at the specs for the Sonys, but wondering whether anyone has experienced any gotchas with them similar to the Panasonic’s inability to deal with PAL playback. Or, other comparable players in price/performance to the UB820 that people are liking. Thanks.

nitin

#1867 Post by nitin » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:24 am

That's odd, my UB820 plays many PAL DVDs fine although I havent tried PAL extras on a blu ray.

DeprongMori

#1868 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:19 am

nitin wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:24 am
That's odd, my UB820 plays many PAL DVDs fine although I havent tried PAL extras on a blu ray.
My modded LG Blu-ray used to play every form of content like a champ. My current understanding is that Panasonic expressly disables PAL content playback in their on all their players shipped to the American market, and their lockdown in firmware is harder to bypass than in other makers.

kekid

#1869 Post by kekid » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:32 pm

I watched the longer Italian version of Pontecorvo's "Queimada" on the French Blu Ray. I used external subtitles placed on the USB drive on OPPO 305. The films started with images and subtitles in sync, but over the length of the film (2 hrs and 8 min) the subtitles lagged behind the images by 8 seconds. I could bring them in sync at any point by using the "option" feature on OPPO that allows us to adjust sync up to 30 seconds. But this is cumbersome, and disrupts the involvement in the film.
Does anyone know any feature that could speed up the subtitles by a designated rate (equivalent of 8 sec over 128 minutes)? In other words, continuously adjust the sync, ending up with 8 sec? There must be a technical term for this kind of adjustment, but I don't know it.

fdm

#1870 Post by fdm » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:04 pm

I think you have to adjust the subtitles offline to match the film.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1871 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:00 am

Just use SubShifter, it’s free to use in any browser to adjust and then download

kekid

#1872 Post by kekid » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:31 pm

Thanks a lot, Domino.
Had to use the Linear Correction option within SubShifter.
Worked perfectly.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#1873 Post by soundchaser » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:27 am

Paging our resident HDR expert: I’ve been using an LG UP970 4K player to watch all my Region A content for the last few years through a Vizio M55-E0 4K TV. Starting this evening, it will only display a video signal if I have “Full UHD Color” on the TV set to “Off.” I’m still getting Dolby Vision and HDR10 signals even when this setting is turned off. Am I missing something here? (I do have a soundbar I’m running through ARC, but I’ve tried this whole setup without the soundbar and the same issue presents itself.)

EddieLarkin

#1874 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:08 am

So, are you trying to play Blu-rays or UHDs? Or is it happening with both? What is HDMI Color Setting set to on the player?

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#1875 Post by soundchaser » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:06 am

It happens with both — the TV says “No signal” regardless of what I’m playing if that “Full UHD Color” setting isn’t turned off. I’ve got the player set to YCbCr.