Walt Disney Treasures

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Taketori Washizu

Re: Walt Disney Treasures

#51 Post by Taketori Washizu » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:46 pm

fdm wrote:
Taketori Washizu wrote:Question for anyone that has More Silly Symphonies. Does the replacement discs for that set include the unedited version of The Night Before Christmas? I seem to get different answers on that. Clarification would be great.
Replacement discs? (groan...) Any others?
That was the only one. Initial pressings didn't have the new title cards created for the shorts in this set. The original titles cards are presumed lost.

Feego

#52 Post by Feego » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:21 pm

Three Walt Disney Treasures sets, in addition to being available at reasonable prices from third party sellers, are currently available directly from Amazon for around $25-$26:

Mickey Mouse in Black and White, Volume 2
The Adventures of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
Tomorrow Land: Disney in Space and Beyond

dustybooks

#53 Post by dustybooks » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:43 pm

Has anyone else noticed discs from this series exhibiting signs of rot? Portions of my copies of Mickey Mouse in Living Color and More Silly Symphonies appear no longer to be playable. Of all the DVDs I own, it figures that these valuable and carefully curated sets very unlikely to be upgraded to Blu-ray would be the ones that crap out on me (along with, of course, seemingly every Warners disc from a certain period).

Many many years ago, late 2000s I think, I got a sealed copy of The Chronological Donald, Vol. 1 whose center rim had somehow been damaged. This was after the DVDs print run had concluded, but I wrote to Disney and was given a replacement disc without much trouble. I'm sure those days are long over but I'm half tempted to try it.

Rhinox

#54 Post by Rhinox » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:01 pm

I only have The Chronological Donald Vol. 1-4, but none of discs are displaying any of the telltale signs disc rot at the moment. This was the perfect excuse to watch holiday themed shorts across the four volumes and they played fine. Your news does make me a bit paranoid though. Disney Plus only has a random assortment of theatrical shorts starring Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and the like through their service and I would hate to have to rely on those meager offerings to get my classic Disney fix.

BobaFett

#55 Post by BobaFett » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:31 pm

dustybooks wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:43 pm
Has anyone else noticed discs from this series exhibiting signs of rot? Portions of my copies of Mickey Mouse in Living Color and More Silly Symphonies appear no longer to be playable. Of all the DVDs I own, it figures that these valuable and carefully curated sets very unlikely to be upgraded to Blu-ray would be the ones that crap out on me (along with, of course, seemingly every Warners disc from a certain period).
I‘ve just checked my copies of Mickey Mouse in Living Color Vol. I & II. I‘ve started multiple shorts from these discs and all of them played just fine. I don‘t own More Silly Symphonies, but the discs from first Silly Symphonies set also seem to play normally.

Is there a specific short I should check?

dustybooks

#56 Post by dustybooks » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:01 pm

BobaFett wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:31 pm
I‘ve just checked my copies of Mickey Mouse in Living Color Vol. I & II. I‘ve started multiple shorts from these discs and all of them played just fine. I don‘t own More Silly Symphonies, but the discs from first Silly Symphonies set also seem to play normally.

Is there a specific short I should check?
Thank you for checking! The one I was having trouble with specifically was The Band Concert as well as the one sequenced immediately afterward on the first disc (I'm sorry, I'm at work and don't have the titles in front of me). So it sounds like it may just be my copy -- I'm not sure if that's good or bad news!