The Song Remains the Same

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
tavernier

#1 Post by tavernier » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:41 am

from billboard.com:
Led Zeppelin fans will have a lot to celebrate this fall thanks to the release of three new titles in multiple configurations. First up on Nov. 13 via Atlantic/Rhino is a two-disc, 24-track best-of, "Mothership." A deluxe reissue of the soundtrack to the 1976 concert film "The Song Remains the Same" with previously unreleased material and a new DVD edition of that movie will arrive Nov. 20 via Atlantic/Rhino and Warner Home Video, respectively.

"Mothership," tracks for which were chosen by surviving members Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, represents all eight of the band's studio albums. In addition to a two-disc set, the album will also be available in both "deluxe" and "collector's" editions with a DVD featuring varied live content from the previously released "Led Zeppelin DVD." A 4-LP vinyl package will also be sold.

As for the "The Song Remains the Same" soundtrack, it now sports six songs not included on the original album: "Black Dog," "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Misty Mountain Hop," "Since I've Been Loving You," "The Ocean" and "Heartbreaker." The album and film were recorded during a July 1973 stand at New York's Madison Square Garden.

"The Song Remains the Same" DVD includes all 14 songs from the original concert for the first time plus previously unreleased performances of "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Celebration Day," "The Ocean" and "Misty Mountain Hop." Rounding out the bonus items are a 1976 BBC interview with Plant and band manager Peter Grant and contemporary footage from the robbery at New York's Drake Hotel during the MSG run.

Beyond a standard DVD, the film will be sold in both HD DVD and Blu-ray formats, as well as a limited collector's edition that includes the soundtrack, a T-shirt with the original album art and reproductions of memorabilia from the era.

All the catalog activity gives further heft to rumors Plant, Page and Jones will reunite to perform at a proposed Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert this fall in London. Although no details have been announced, the group is also said to be mulling offers to tour under the Led Zeppelin name in 2008 with the late John Bonham's son Jason filling in on drums.

Antoine Doinel

#2 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:58 am

At least only the concert is being expanded, and not the fantasy sequences.

Barmy

#3 Post by Barmy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:25 pm

Looks like the last band with (some) integrity just lost it.

I'm burning all my LZ LPs.

tavernier

#4 Post by tavernier » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:54 pm

What integrity? they've been reissuing stuff for years and now you decide to make a stand?

Antoine Doinel

#5 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:56 pm

What integrity? They ripped off blues musicians and other English musicians often note for note.

flyonthewall2983

#6 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:42 pm

A deluxe reissue of the soundtrack to the 1976 concert film "The Song Remains the Same" with previously unreleased material and a new DVD edition of that movie will arrive Nov. 20 via Atlantic/Rhino and Warner Home Video, respectively.
Sweet. I'm sure whatever cover is on the new release will be better than the old one.

The performances of "Misty Mountain Hop" and "The Ocean" actually are already on the Led Zeppelin DVD.

Barmy

#7 Post by Barmy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:54 pm

I'm objecting to the reforming. What next, the Beatles?

Admittedly LZ lost a lot of integrity when they let Rock & Roll be used in a car ad.

Lino

#8 Post by Lino » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:56 pm

Been waiting for this release for ages. This was actually one of my very first DVDs and I been wishing for something like this ever since Special Editions came along. This concert and film deserves it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:12 pm

What integrity, they've always been a major label band with dollar $ign$ for eyes, what a shocker

patrick

#10 Post by patrick » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:21 am

I'm not even that much of a Zep fan but I love that cover.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#11 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:15 pm

The broken finger delay ruse is a load of bollocks. They're not getting it together man! This from an inside source.

tavernier

#12 Post by tavernier » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:31 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:The broken finger delay ruse is a load of bollocks. They're not getting it together man! This from an inside source.
I was afraid of that.

flyonthewall2983

#13 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:43 pm

Official website. Taking into account the largely negative consensus of this release on this board, it probably doesn't matter that the video clips look and sound amazing.

And I am in total agreement about the cover.

Cinephrenic

#14 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:54 pm

How can anyone go wrong with Zeppelin?

HerrSchreck

#15 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:16 pm

I remember going out to Astoria in the early 80s catching midnight shows of this... cavernous theaters reeking of dirtweed held in forever... clank of fifth bottles of JD coming out of old parkas.

My only problem with this is not the disc-- but the concert in general. I alwys felt this was a lackluster show that zep basically blew. But it's still cool. Page is so wasted it's awesome. Few guys looked as good with a Les Paul... not to mention the doublenecked SG.

patrick

#16 Post by patrick » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:13 pm

I've always felt the same way, like I said earlier I'm not really a Zep connoisseur (I only really dig on the first three) but the self-titled live DVD just blows this thing away. However, being able to chapter skip past the fantasy sequences makes it a lot more tolerable.

flyonthewall2983

#17 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:40 pm

When it was the four of them and Bonzo was still alive, they hardly ever did anything terrible live (that I know of anyway). The only show I can think of that there is some shame towards was their set at Live Aid, with Phil Collins and Tony Thompson on drums. Apparently when the DVD was being prepared, Page, Plant & CO. asked that their set be removed but they pledged proceeds from current projects towards the project.

That said, I liked the movie sans the fantasy sequences.

bunuelian

#18 Post by bunuelian » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:their set at Live Aid, with Phil Collins and Tony Thompson on drums
That's like paying $18 for a burger and getting served a lukewarm tofu dog.

flyonthewall2983

#19 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:38 pm

Polybius

#20 Post by Polybius » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:28 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:I remember going out to Astoria in the early 80s catching midnight shows of this... cavernous theaters reeking of dirtweed held in forever... clank of fifth bottles of JD coming out of old parkas.

:lol:
My only problem with this is not the disc-- but the concert in general. I alwys felt this was a lackluster show that zep basically blew.
That's a common opinion, which also has the virtue of being true.
But it's still cool. Page is so wasted it's awesome. Few guys looked as good with a Les Paul... not to mention the doublenecked SG.
Or carried the Les so damned low.
patrick wrote:I've always felt the same way, like I said earlier I'm not really a Zep connoisseur (I only really dig on the first three) but the self-titled live DVD just blows this thing away. However, being able to chapter skip past the fantasy sequences makes it a lot more tolerable.

If you really like III, you should give Houses of the Holy another listen. It's quite eclectic. If you really like the heaviness of the first two records, maybe you should check out Presence again. I've always liked the rawness of that album. That's about as far as I can realisticaly go in defending most of the later canon.

As for the sequences, I always sort of liked JP Jones'. "But this is tomorrow!!" was a laugh line for me and a group of my friends for a while.

Of course, I'm also the guy who, around that same time, hung this stubby little redneck kid with a blonde pageboy with the nickname "Relf" because of his resemblence to Keith, so...my experience may be atypical.

Robin Davies

#21 Post by Robin Davies » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:29 pm

The hostility to this film always amazes me. Even the band don't seem too keen on it. Am I the only person in the world who thinks it captures them live at their absolute apex? Okay, Moby Dick is too long (as always)and Whole Lotta Love only comes alive half way through but the rest of the songs are magnificent and vastly superior to the studio versions. (Yes I have got the live DVD and I have heard How The West Was Won. Neither of them are as good as TSRTS).

HerrSchreck

#22 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:52 pm

How much live zep have you seen to compare it to? To me that's the only barometer-- to get a sense of their usual explosiveness, vs the relative subdued-ness of the SONG show.

patrick

#23 Post by patrick » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:21 pm

Does anyone know what's up with that Mothership set coming out tomorrow? I know that the regular set is just two CDs of greatest hits, but I've heard there's a version with a live DVD as well.

flyonthewall2983

#24 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:28 pm

The DVD with the Mothership set is just selected performances from the disc the band put out in 2003.

patrick

#25 Post by patrick » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:42 pm

Well, after watching this I feel like the special features are better than the movie itself - I have no clue why the four bonus songs were cut from the film, they're as good or better than the performances in the movie. WB has set up the bonus disc in a pretty cool sequence, where you get a song followed by an archival clip. It's over pretty quick, but the Cameron Crowe radio piece is one of the coolest things I've heard/seen all year.