Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
dx23

#1 Post by dx23 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:56 pm

Home Media Retailing reporting July 28th 2009 release in both blu Ray and DVD:
Warner Celebrates 40 Years of Woodstock

Author: BILLY GIL

Posted: August 6, 2008

Warner Home Video plans to release a 40th anniversary ultimate collectors edition DVD and Blu-ray Disc of the Oscar-winning original Woodstock concert film Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music July 28, 2009. The title also will be available as a standalone DVD.

Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music – Ultimate Collectors Edition will include several never-before-released festival performances in their entirety. The film will have been in an 18-month moratorium when it is released.

The release was announced just before the 39th anniversary of the seminal rock show that took place Aug. 15, 1969.

“The music, artists and spirit of Woodstock resonate as strongly today as in 1969,” said Jeff Baker, Warner’s EVP and GM of theatrical catalog. “We’re certain the film will strike a chord with those who remember, and may have even attended, Woodstock, but we also believe the music — some in extended cuts — will appeal to today’s youth generation who not only love rock music but are equally as committed now to the values surrounding Woodstock, like spirit of community, caring for the environment and idealistic change.

“Additionally, since we think of the ultimate collector’s edition as our ‘signature dish,’ if you will, we’re very excited that we’ll be giving the same attention to this iconic film as we have to our other top-tier titles such as ‘Harry Potter,’ Blade Runner, JFK and the upcoming Casablanca and A Christmas Story.”

The included four-hour director’s cut has been remastered from the film’s original elements, with supervision by director Michael Wadleigh. Original Woodstock chief engineer Eddie Kramer is overseeing the 5.1 audio mix of newly included footage.

The restored and remastered film will include previously unreleased full performances by The Who, Joe Cocker, Canned Heat, Joan Baez, Country Joe McDonald and Country Joe and the Fish, with more to be announced. Special features will include new perspectives from musicians and celebrities on the cultural significance of Woodstock.

Additional special features will include filmmaker commentary; replicas of handwritten notes from festival-goers; a 40-minute documentary film by Robert Kline called “The ’60s and the Woodstock Generation,” adapted from his book Children of the 60s; studio archive letters and other collectible items.

A multimillion dollar marketing campaign will include print, TV, online and viral advertising, with major promotional tie-ins.

“Woodstock was more than just a concert; it was an event. It was a time for our generation to speak up and let everyone know we had a voice,” said musician and Woodstock alumni David Crosby. “Whether you were there or are discovering the film for the first time, it still holds up 40 years later and now will speak to a whole new generation.”

Jeff

Re: Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music

#2 Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:39 pm

dx23 wrote:Home Media Retailing reporting July 28th 2009 release in both blu Ray and DVD
How strange for them to announce this a year before its release.

flyonthewall2983

#3 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:46 pm

That's great, and a long time coming too! I wonder if they'll get Scorsese to participate in the supplemental stuff.

flyonthewall2983

#4 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:31 pm

Jeff wrote:
dx23 wrote:Home Media Retailing reporting July 28th 2009 release in both blu Ray and DVD
I think they are doing that to see if anyone who attended the show comes up with some unique material to end up on the DVD.

Lino

#5 Post by Lino » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:25 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Jeff wrote:
I think they are doing that to see if anyone who attended the show comes up with some unique material to end up on the DVD.
I think it has more to do with the fact that Ang Lee has attached himself to a Woodstock project of his own and the Warner DVD should come out at roughly the same time the Lee movie does too.

flyonthewall2983

#6 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:01 pm

Ah yes. I'm so jazzed for this, especially since The Who's entire set will see the light of day (most likely without the Abbie Hoffman incident, sadly). After watching The Kids Are Alright last night, I hope that this new footage from the concert will be in line with Wadleigh's use of split-screen that the rest of the film uses.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#7 Post by Buttery Jeb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:43 pm

Now coming out on June 9th, in a two-disc DVD and a DVD or Blu-Ray Ultimate Edition.
Warner Home Video will release a lavish "Ultimate Collector’s Edition" release of seminal rock concert film Woodstock. The 1970 Oscar-winning documentary will be released on both standard DVD and Blu-ray Disc on June 9 (prebook May 5), just two months shy of the 40th anniversary of the Woodstock Music and Art Fair.

The event, held Aug. 15-18, 1969, saw a half-million people descend on Max Yasgur’s dairy farm in Bethel, N.Y., for three days of music from 32 performers, including Jimi Hendrix, the Jefferson Airplane, The Who, the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin and Santana.

The concert’s cultural legacy — it is seen today as one of the defining moments of 1960s pop culture as well as a coda of sorts to the era’s idealism — was celebrated a year later in the film, directed by Michael Wadleigh and edited by Martin Scorsese and Thelma Schoonmaker. It received an Academy Award for best documentary feature and has been deemed “culturally significant” by the Library of Congress.

Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music features the 1994 director’s cut of the film, with a run time of more than four hours. In addition, the "Ultimate Collector’s Edition" contains two extra hours of rare performance footage, much of it never before seen.

“It’s an amazing package,” says Jeff Baker, the Warner EVP who is overseeing the film’s release. “To everyone who grew up in the 1960s, it’s a trip down memory lane. To everyone else, it’s a nostalgic time capsule from an era that truly changed American society, American culture, American life.”

The two extra hours of concert footage includes 18 new performances from 13 artists, including Santana, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Canned Heat, Joe Cocker. Five of them are from artists that played at Woodstock but never appeared in any film version. A third hour of bonus material includes a featurette gallery with interviews with Scorsese, producer Michael Lang, director Wadleigh and others who chronicle the making of the festival and the film.

Exclusive to the $69.99 Blu-ray Disc: a “Customize Your Own Woodstock Playlist” functionality and other special features like Media Center, My Commentary, and Live Community Screening.

Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music will be packaged in a gift box at $59.98, numbered as part of a limited run with such collectibles as a reprint of a Life magazine commemorative issue, a lucite lenticular display of festival photos, assorted memorabilia and an iron-on patch with the classic bird-and-guitar Woodstock emblem.

A simpler two-DVD set will also be available at $24.98.
-BJ

Barmy

#8 Post by Barmy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:33 pm

Nothing says "woodstock" like a $60 box loaded with crap. :x

fdm

#9 Post by fdm » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:09 pm

Nobody could put it more perfectly than that Barmy. =D>

You've seen the packaging right?

Ashirg

#10 Post by Ashirg » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 pm

Looks like Amazon will have an exclusive with a bonus disc.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:47 pm

I see Beatrice Welles is moonlighting

Jeff

#12 Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Barmy wrote:Nothing says "woodstock" like a $60 box loaded with crap.
press release wrote:A simpler two-DVD set will also be available at $24.98.

ryan11

#13 Post by ryan11 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:38 pm

Silliest packaging ever. What were they thinking? Perhaps it should have been wrapped in smokable hemp.

Actually, the box set should be invisible, cause' if you remember Woodstock, man, you weren't really there.

Peace and love

Antoine Doinel

#14 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:22 am

ryan11 wrote:Actually, the box set should be invisible, cause' if you remember Woodstock, man, you weren't really there.
Reminds me of this little exchange from Wayne's World 2:
Del Preston: Woodstock? That was quite a show, man.
Garth: You were at Woodstock?
Wayne: Excellent! What was it like?
Del Preston: It rained all morning, and then it cleared up in the afternoon. And that's it....oh,I almost remembered something else....but it's gone.

Tom Hagen

#15 Post by Tom Hagen » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:43 pm

If Criterion puts out the Blu-ray editions of Monterey Pop and Gimme Shelter in June as well, it will be the greatest single month for overly-nostalgic baby boomers with hi-def setups in history. I am excited; it looks like it will be a great set (discounting, of course, the fact that WB has decided to use the remenants of Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper's wardrobes from Easy Rider to make the DVD boxes).

By the way, wouldn't it have been great if they could have used John Belushi's legendary SNL take on Joe Cocker's performance as a supplement?

flyonthewall2983

#16 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:05 am

Restoration vignette with Eddie Kramer.

fdm

#17 Post by fdm » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:05 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Restoration vignette with Eddie Kramer.
Cute, but what they've done rubs me the wrong way. I'd prefer warts and all. Wonder how much picture (some call it grain) they've removed from the picture.

flyonthewall2983

#18 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:18 pm

I can see the necessity for it, for sole purposes of the 5.1 mix. I wonder if something similar was done with Hendrix's set since his band had two percussionists who were almost completely drowned out by Jimi.

rossbrew

#19 Post by rossbrew » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:28 pm

Just preordered the blu ray box...groovy consumerism, man...

dx23

#20 Post by dx23 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Full press release. Some of the specs have changed and there is a rumor that the Who/Abbie Hoffman incident has been cut from the release. And yes, Amazon.com has the exclusive additional disc.

charal

#21 Post by charal » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Curious additions and ommissions. The CCR cuts are great news. I have an audio boot of the entire performance & 'Chooglin' is an energetic delight. I've seen the Dead footage and despite their dislike of their performance this version of 'Lovelight' is brilliant. Footage of Blood Sweat & Tears doing 'Spinning Wheel' & 'Something Coming On' exists (you can see it online) so if they are off this release it must be due to copyright issues. The only other additional footage known to Woodheads is of Incredible String Band, Havens, more McDonald & Sha Na Na.

Looking at the bonus tracks listed I can see that footage shown on LOST PERFORMANCES (1991) & WOODSTOCK DIARIES (1994) has been sensibly bypassed. Why 3 tracks from DIARIES are repeated here is unknown to me. Certainly Johnny Winter's 'Mean Town Blues' is already available in its entirety. The complete Santana set was released a few years ago on audio but no mention is made of 'Evil Ways' as being part of their set. Is this a mistake or have they found another encore?

What will certainly excite Woodheads is the inclusion of 5 tracks that have not been heard or documented anywhere before.

fdm

#22 Post by fdm » Wed May 27, 2009 3:20 pm

Review at blu-ray.com.

charal

#23 Post by charal » Thu May 28, 2009 11:28 pm

For those who haven't watched the video samples on the Amazon site mention is made of the extra "exclusive" disc as containing three extra perfromances:
Jefferson Airplane - 'Volunteers'
The Fish - 'Martha Lorraigne'
And an unspecified track by the Dead ['Dark Star'? 'Mama Tried'?]

charal

#24 Post by charal » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:21 pm

For all you Woodheads out there the releases keep coming. This time its an audiofest.

Rhino's 6 CD set will feature many unreleased items including Bert Sommer, Sweetwater, Incredible String Band, Blood Sweat & Tears, Melanie, The Fish, etc. Only Keef Hartley, The Band & Ten Years After refused to be included. All the original tracks from the 2 official LPs are included (minus some Hendrix cuts & Ten Years After) The deceptive tracks [Arlo & Mountain] are replaced with Woodstock performances.

Columbia Legacy are releasing 5 "Woodstock Experience" editions of classic albums. Each 2-disc set will feature the band's LP of the day plus their entire Woodstock performance. Artists are: Santana [yes, a re-release with 'Evil Ways' added], Jefferson Airplane, Sly & the Family Stone, Janis Joplin and Johnny Winter.

Dylan

#25 Post by Dylan » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:49 pm

My question is: when will we get the original theatrical cut?