Columbia Classics

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
hearthesilence

Re: Columbia Classics

#501 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:21 am

Ribs wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:08 pm
The second Columbia Classics set will be launching in September, and comprise Anatomy of a Murder, Oliver!, Taxi Driver, Stripes, Sense and Sensibility, and The Social Network.
Given its age, I double-checked and found out The Social Network was promoted by RED as the first feature film to be shot and projected in 4K, which lines up with my memory of its release. But someone just informed me that the film was actually edited or worked on at lower resolution (probably 2.8K) before it was processed into a 2K DI. The UHD should still be an improvement (even without HDR, it will have the full 2K image rather than a slight downconversion into HD), but it totally passed me by that Fincher would want to shoot in 4K for the additional freedom that comes with having more image to manipulate. That is, if he suddenly wanted to "zoom in" on a shot or re-frame it, he'd have the additional imagery to do so without needing any extrapolation or upconverting. (And of course working in 4K would have dramatically slowed their workflow to a crawl.)

PfR73

#502 Post by PfR73 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:46 pm

Jonathan S wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:20 am
souvenir wrote:Bell, Book and Candle (102 mins.)
Is that definitely the timing on the new set? If so, it appears to be the same length as my UK DVD which (after PAL speed-up) is 98 minutes. However, I've read that is a cut version and that the previous R1 edition is 106 minutes - the length also given by Amazon and imdb.
Found this post while trying to verify this claim on IMDb: "The 1999 U.S. DVD release includes both the original theatrical version (as seen in theaters and on VHS) and an extended version (which is obviously not labeled as such). The theatrical version runs for 102 minutes, while the extended version is approximately 4 minutes longer at a runtime of 106 minutes. The theatrical version is presented in 4:3 full screen, while the extended version is presented in 16:9 widescreen."

I own the Kim Novak Collection DVD and the Twilight Time Blu-ray and both are 102 minutes. I've never owned the original flipper DVD. Is there any truth to this 106 minute runtime?

britcom68

#503 Post by britcom68 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:03 pm

Hi there, I just popped in my ancient flipper dvd to verify the times as follows:
dvd/case itself lists time as "approximate 103 minutes"
The counter for the widescreen version is: One hour and 42minutes, 21secs. The counter for the full-screen version identical to widescreen.

(minor miracle that this dvd is still working, almost makes up for imdb having incorrect listings)

Finch

#504 Post by Finch » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:45 am

Lawrence of Arabia 4k is getting a stand-alone release on June 7th as a steelbook (ditto River Kwai).

therewillbeblus

#505 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:10 pm

Excellent news, keep breaking up those enormous Oscar sets

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#506 Post by swo17 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:30 pm

Except ugh steelbooks

hearthesilence

#507 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:05 pm

Has there ever been a steelbook worth getting simply for the steelbook?

stevewhamola

#508 Post by stevewhamola » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:32 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:05 pm
Has there ever been a steelbook worth getting simply for the steelbook?
I can only imagine the thunderous pearl-clutching this comment would spark on another forum...

Matt

Columbia Classics

#509 Post by Matt » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:22 pm

hearthesilence wrote:Has there ever been a steelbook worth getting simply for the steelbook?
Well, I suppose “worth” would be entirely subjective, but I’m quite fond of my Blood and Black Lace, Fall of the House of Usher, and Passion of Joan of Arc steelbooks. All three are favorite films in beautifully designed packages from boutique labels I want to support, so they were “worth getting” to me. I personally wouldn’t see the point in collecting steelbooks (particularly these ugly cash grabs from major studios), but better that than crypto or NFTs I guess.

FrauBlucher

#510 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:33 pm

I did go the steelbook route with Master of Cinema's Metropolis and Dr Caligari, but I believe they added extra supplements to those editions that were not on the original releases. Those are the only two. They are good looking packages for whatever that's worth.

ianthemovie

#511 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:58 pm

Is this version of Bridge on the River Kwai any different from the previous standalone 4K release?

bad future

#512 Post by bad future » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:19 pm

ianthemovie wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:58 pm
Is this version of Bridge on the River Kwai any different from the previous standalone 4K release?
I don't know about the new steelbook, but if anyone got it when first released in the US, I do know they quietly added the original mono on later pressings. I'm not sure if the US packaging was ever revised to reflect the addition; I imported the UK 2019 update, which does list mono on the back, before it was clear that the US discs had or would be adding it. So if they aren't changing the discs again, I would expect this to at least be a good way to ensure getting a later pressing, though it's been long enough at this point that I don't know if many of the earlier version are likely to still be in stock anyway.

Ribs

#513 Post by Ribs » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:43 pm

Sony has slowly and quietly been doing new discs with Dolby Vision for older discs, which they’ve done for Ghostbusters and Karate Kid in their recent box sets and Labyrinth in its anniversary special edition last year. This continues that trend and adds Dolby Vision where there wasn’t one in the past. I don’t have a DV capable TV so I’m not even sure if there is any possibility it would constitute any comprehensible difference when viewed in HDR10.

EddieLarkin

#514 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:37 am

They've been re-encoding them too, with a higher bit rate and thus better grain compression. So you'd get that from the HDR10 base (since Sony do not use DV FEL the two "layers" are identical, except for the DV tone mapping metadata obviously). But the difference is going to be very difficult to see or appreciate unless you're a major pixel peeper.

Those who can use DV though should definitely opt for these new discs over the old ones, as essentially no TVs are capable of tone mapping early Sony HDR10 discs properly.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#515 Post by tenia » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:20 am

Stuff like Kwai is a bit silly though : a first release, then a quiet re-pressing adding the original mono track, and now a disc with both the mono track and DV. This looks like a AAA video game roll-out with humpteen non-free DLC until finally you get it all.

hearthesilence

#516 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:17 am

Matt wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:22 pm
Well, I suppose “worth” would be entirely subjective, but I’m quite fond of...[cut]...Passion of Joan of Arc
FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:33 pm
I did go the steelbook route with Master of Cinema's Metropolis and Dr Caligari, but I believe they added extra supplements to those editions that were not on the original releases. Those are the only two. They are good looking packages for whatever that's worth.
I have those three titles and didn't know they had steelbooks. Yeah, they do look cool - probably would have picked them up as more extras would be the clincher. If the non-steelbook editions were identical, I'd have passed though. (And in the case of Joan of Arc, we now have Criterion's edition.)

dwk

#517 Post by dwk » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:18 pm

Sony is releasing a Fright Night in a special edition on UHD on October 4th
4K ULTRA HD DISC
Feature scanned from the original camera negative and presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision
All-new Dolby Atmos audio + 5.1 + original Dolby Stereo

BLU-RAY™ FEATURE DISC
Feature presented in High Definition, sourced from the 4K master
5.1 + original Dolby Stereo
Special Features:
NEW: Deleted Scene Storyboards – Tom Holland guides us through the film’s only deleted scene, using his personal pre-production storyboards
NEW: Holland/Beyda Spec Trailer with an Introduction by Tom Holland – the never-before-seen alternate trailer cut by Fright Night editor Kent Beyda with the guidance—and narration—of Tom Holland
Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Tom Holland, Actors Chris Sarandon & Jonathan Stark, Moderated by Filmmaker Tim Sullivan
Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Tom Holland, Actors William Ragsdale & Stephen Geoffreys, FX Artist Randall Cook, Moderated by Journalist Jeremy Smith and Filmmaker Tim Sullivan
You're So Cool, Brewster! The Story of Fright Night
What is Fright Night
Tom Holland: Writing Horror
Theatrical Trailers

BLU-RAY™ SPECIAL FEATURES DISC
Special Features:
NEW: Fright Night 35th Anniversary Script Read – an anniversary cast reunion and script reading featuring writer/director Tom Holland and special guests including Rosario Dawson, Jason Patric, and many more!
NEW: The Queer Lens: Bryan Fuller in Conversation with Amanda Bearse – a candid discussion between Fright Night aficionado Bryan Fuller (Hannibal, Queer for Fear: The History of Queer Horror) and Fright Night star Amanda Bearse about the Gothic’s queer roots, the film’s queer subtext, and its metaphorical power
NEW: A Novel Approach: The Splatterpunk Story of the Fright Night Novelization – Tom Holland, Fright Night novelization authors John Skipp and Craig Spector, and publisher Mark Alan Miller discuss how the progenitors of the splatterpunk genre came to work on the book, their writing process, and the novel’s enduring legacy
NEW: SFX Storyboard Comparisons – a selection of original storyboards from key effects sequences, compared with their final filmed versions
Roddy McDowall: From Apes to Bats
Tom Holland and Amanda Bearse Talk Fright Night
Round Table with Tom, Stephen and William
Shock Till You Drop Presents Choice Cuts with Tom Holland and Ryan Turek
First Ever Fright Night Reunion Panel - Fear Fest 2 (2008)
Weekend of Hell Panel with Amanda and Stephen
Vintage EPK with Behind-the-Scenes Raw Footag

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#518 Post by tenia » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:45 pm

I love how the movie has been released like 4 different times now and there still are "never-before-seen alternate trailer" to include.

Ribs

#519 Post by Ribs » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:37 pm

Third Columbia Classics 4K set incoming, including It Happened One Night, From Here to Eternity, To Sir With Love, The Last Picture Show, Annie, and As Good As It Gets.

hearthesilence

#520 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:08 pm

That's two more Criterion titles getting a UHD upgrade elsewhere (It Happened One Night and The Last Picture Show). The former may be the same 4K master but the latter is probably a new, improved scan since Criterion used a hi-def restoration.

Ribs

#521 Post by Ribs » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:50 pm

The Columbia Classics set will also include on Blu-ray (in HD) the 1956 remake of It Happened One Night, You Can't Run Away with It; the 1932 Little Orphan Annie movie; and To Sir With Love II.

beamish14

#522 Post by beamish14 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:57 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:08 pm
That's two more Criterion titles getting a UHD upgrade elsewhere (It Happened One Night and The Last Picture Show). The former may be the same 4K master but the latter is probably a new, improved scan since Criterion used a hi-def restoration.

I just truly hope we get the original theatrical cut. I saw a brand new 35mm print of Last Picture Show, and the quality of those inserts that Bogdanovich used still look abysmal in almost every instance, particularly in an extended speech that Ben Johnson delivers

hearthesilence

#523 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:50 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:57 pm
I just truly hope we get the original theatrical cut. I saw a brand new 35mm print of Last Picture Show, and the quality of those inserts that Bogdanovich used still look abysmal in almost every instance, particularly in an extended speech that Ben Johnson delivers
Is that the long take by the reservoir where the clouds seem to part (i.e. the sun starts shining through on Ben)? If so, I didn't realize that shot was shorter...it's probably my favorite part of the film. I took it for an homage to Howard Hawks's Red River when the clouds came in, though that was an accident and Bogdanovich would have to fabricate it.

Rupert Pupkin

#524 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:48 am

I'm really intrigued to see "The Last Picture Show" in 4K even the blu-ray will be sourced from a new restoration.
So that means that the BBS set Criterion will be out of print ? and the lost the "The Last Picture Show" ?
I was not aware that Bogdanovich did a redux of The Last Picture Show. I thought that the only version was the theatrical one on the Criterion.
The Blu-Ray is now available in Germany and other countries, but it's the Criterion master.

they never release the movies of these 4K box set in a single-edition combo Blu-Ray + UHD ?
I have seen "Sense & Sensibility" on eBay but it's probably "extracted" from the box set and not meant to be sold individually.

beamish14

#525 Post by beamish14 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:43 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:50 pm
beamish14 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:57 pm
Is that the long take by the reservoir where the clouds seem to part (i.e. the sun starts shining through on Ben)? If so, I didn't realize that shot was shorter...it's probably my favorite part of the film. I took it for an homage to Howard Hawks's Red River when the clouds came in, though that was an accident and Bogdanovich would have to fabricate it.
I think I was mistaken. Based on this, the scene in question is identical in both. Perhaps there exists some damage on the source of the print that I saw.

The Director’s Cut just doesn’t really add up to a whole lot more, and I say that as someone who really likes what Bogdanovich did when given the opportunity to re-edit Nickelodeon (which really looks fantastic in monochrom; it’s a far more successful experiment than Parasite or Mad Max: Fury Road in Chrome) and Texasville)