Columbia Classics

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Columbia Classics

#476 Post by Drucker » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:19 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:32 pm
These random studio collection boxes drive me up a wall. I'll wait for individual releases of the ones I want (Lawrence, Strangelove, Taxi Driver, On The Waterfront, Oliver!, maybe Mr. Smith), having a disc with Tom Cruise or Greg Kinnear in my collection would give me the heebee jeebies.
Yes I'd hate to have copies of...Magnolia or Minority Report or Eyes Wide Shut in my collection.

The Narrator Returns

#477 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:24 pm

I'd buy a 4K of Collateral long before I'd even consider buying one of Oliver!.

What A Disgrace

#478 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:17 pm

Its worth noting that the quotes pages also reference several films which have already been released, like Bridge on the River Kwai and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Hopefully they'll get their own box, or be conveniently boxed with films you don't want. In reality, of course, all the ones you already own will be boxed with the films you want most, except for Little Women which will be boxed set exclusive and only available in the same box as Talladega Nights, Hook, Stripes and Spider-Man.

Ribs

#479 Post by Ribs » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:43 pm

My impression of the page is less “these are the films released in the Columbia Classics line” and more “these are the classic films Columbia has available on 4K.” Maybe that’s just being wilfully ignorant.

Lowry_Sam

#480 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:33 pm

Drucker wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:19 pm
Lowry_Sam wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:32 pm
These random studio collection boxes drive me up a wall. I'll wait for individual releases of the ones I want (Lawrence, Strangelove, Taxi Driver, On The Waterfront, Oliver!, maybe Mr. Smith), having a disc with Tom Cruise or Greg Kinnear in my collection would give me the heebee jeebies.
Yes I'd hate to have copies of...Magnolia or Minority Report or Eyes Wide Shut in my collection.
I actually have Magnolia & thought someone would probably mention it, but the character he plays is rather odious like himself, so that one does get a pass. Have avoided the other 2 because he's in them, perhaps I'll visit Eyes Wide Shut some day, but I've been avoiding it because I love Kubrick & suspect I will think less of him after seeing it. Minority Report just looks like more CGI dependent scifi/ action which leaves me cold.

RitrovataBlue

#481 Post by RitrovataBlue » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:17 am

Mr. Smith is absolutely worth buying. I watched the new UHD with my kids a few days ago and my eight year old was captivated. The lines on Stewart’s suit were plainly visible, and the audio sounded better than perhaps any 30s film I’ve seen (with the exception of the recent Wizard of Oz UHD).

Eyes Wide Shut is one of Kubrick’s best films, IMO. It’s a pitch black comic thriller about the fetid heterosexual male unconscious. It uses Cruise even more unconventionally than PT Anderson did in Magnolia, where Cruise’s sweaty need for public approval was integral to the character. In Eyes Wide Shut, Kubrick hones in on Cruise’s pathological narcissism and builds a phantasmagoric mirror image of it on screen.

eerik

#482 Post by eerik » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:42 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#483 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:43 pm

Interestingly only five of those were released on Blu by Sony themselves

Ribs

#484 Post by Ribs » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:46 pm

Interesting they aren’t asking after the “modern classic” this time - makes me interested if they’ve decided the sets would be better just to focus on the older titles (which would make sense, in a way, given new titles will sell better on their own). I voted for A Matter of Life and Death in both polls, as well as A Man for All Seasons and On the Watefront, all movies I really, really love (I believe, personally, On the Waterfront is such a lock for a second set it’s almost throwing my vote away to check it). Used the comment box (and implore others to as well) to suggest Little Women be allowed a release, the highest grossing studio film of last year to not recieve a 4K despite being an Oscar winner and multiple nominee. It only grossed multiple times something like Charlie’s Angels that Sony released on 4K without breaking a sweat! Having seen it seven times theatrically on film I really don’t like it having to live on a format I don’t think catches the same presentation as well as UHD manages with HDR.

Definitely do NOT recommend looking at Blu-ray’s forums for what they’re voting for.

Calvin

#485 Post by Calvin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:17 pm

Is there any reason the survey seems restricted to US residents? The Vol. 1 release saw a UK release as well, but it seems they don't care for our opinion on what goes in the second one

eerik

#486 Post by eerik » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:47 am

Ribs wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:46 pm
Used the comment box to suggest Little Women be allowed a release
Well, that's two of us already, they can't ignore us!

senseabove

#487 Post by senseabove » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:40 am

Damn—wish I'd thought of that. I fully intended to pick up a 4k/BD dual format copy of LW for future proofing/support purposes, and was disappointed it got canceled. I just used the comment box to suggest they drop the stupid box set set-up and let me buy the individual titles I want.

L.A.

#488 Post by L.A. » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:38 am

Girl, Interrupted (1999) Blu-ray coming next month.

The Narrator Returns

#489 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:43 pm

Big Fish 4K coming in May.

flyonthewall2983

#490 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:42 pm

SYNOPSIS
Young Danny Madigan (Austin O'Brien) is a lonely 11-year-old boy who escapes from his bleak reality by watching the action adventure movies of his favorite film character, Jack Slater (Arnold Schwarzenegger). When his best friend, Nick the projectionist, gives him a special ticket to the new Slater film, Danny is magically transported into Jack's world, where the good guys always win. Danny becomes his helper as Jack battles a trio of nefarious bad guys, Benedict (Charles Dance), Vivaldi (Anthony Quinn) and The Ripper (Tom Noonan). But things get out of hand when Benedict steals Danny's magic ticket stub and transports himself into the real world, where crime can, and often does, pay. Jack and Danny must leave fictional Los Angeles for real-life New York and battle the villains without the aid of movie magic or stuntmen.

DISC DETAILS & BONUS MATERIAL
4K ULTRA HD DISC
Newly remastered in 4K resolution from the original camera negative, with HDR10
All-new Dolby Atmos audio + the original theatrical SDDS mix presented as 5.1 + original theatrical stereo audio
Audio Commentary with Director John McTiernan
Deleted & Alternate Scenes (presented in 4K with HDR10)
Alternate Ending (presented in 4K with HDR10)
“Big Gun” Music Video by AC/DC
Original Behind-the-Scenes Featurette
Theatrical Teaser

SET ALSO INCLUDES BLU-RAY & DIGITAL

*From a 2019 SPHE fan poll and over 30,000 responses, LAST ACTION HERO was the most selected movie when participants were asked to choose from a list of possible 4K UHD disc releases.

CAST AND CREW
Directed By: John McTiernan
Story By: Zak Penn & Adam Leff
Screenplay By: Shane Black & David Arnott
Producers: Steve Roth and John McTiernan
Executive Producer: Arnold Schwarzenegger
Cast: Arnold Schwarzenegger, F. Murray Abraham, Art Carney, Charles Dance, Frank McRae, Tom Noonan, Robert Prosky, Anthony Quinn, Mercedes Ruehl, Austin O’Brien

SPECS
Release date: May 18th, 2021
Run Time: Approx. 131 minutes
Rating: PG-13 for strong action sequences
Feature Picture: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 2.39:1
Feature Audio: English Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Compatible) | English 5.1 DTS-HD MA | English Stereo Surround DTS-HD MA | French (PAR), Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#491 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:43 pm

I don't understand, was someone looking for this in any format?

knives

#492 Post by knives » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:45 pm

Me

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#493 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:48 pm

To this day I still remember this stupid exchange:
"How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"
"Practice... John Practice?!"
I bet it's even wittier in 4K

PfR73

#494 Post by PfR73 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:53 pm

#1: I love this movie. I saw it for my 11th birthday and rewatched it as recently as last year and it still holds up. If this release comes with a Blu-ray copy that also has the extras, I will absolutely buy it to replace my existing Blu-ray.

#2: How can you disparage any movie for including a Sparks refence?

EddieLarkin

#495 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:08 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:43 pm
I don't understand, was someone looking for this in any format?
*From a 2019 SPHE fan poll and over 30,000 responses, LAST ACTION HERO was the most selected movie when participants were asked to choose from a list of possible 4K UHD disc releases.

Arnie was a big part of my cinematic upbringing and I loved this film as a kid. I've never owned it on home video but I guess now is the time to revisit.

Another interesting part of the press release:

All-new Dolby Atmos audio + the original theatrical SDDS mix presented as 5.1 + original theatrical stereo audio

Over the last few years Sony have been increasingly dilligent when it comes to including the original theatrical audio, or in this case both versions of the theatrical audio (and labelled as such). It's basically a guarantee at this point, whereas no other studio seems to particularly care.

At the end of 2019, when I guess it came time for a new batch of Bridge on the River Kwai UHDs to be pressed in the UK, they actually went back so they could add the original mono track, which was missing from the earlier pressing. I'm not sure I've ever known a major studio to do that before. The original mono track for that film has not been seen since Laserdisc, and it sounds glorious.

tolbs1010

#496 Post by tolbs1010 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:12 pm

PfR73 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:53 pm
#1: I love this movie. I saw it for my 11th birthday and rewatched it as recently as last year and it still holds up. If this release comes with a Blu-ray copy that also has the extras, I will absolutely buy it to replace my existing Blu-ray.

#2: How can you disparage any movie for including a Sparks refence?
Thank you for linking that Sparks tune. I was about to when I saw your post. Old joke but a great song and album!

willoneill

#497 Post by willoneill » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:21 pm

This and Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey are what led me to Bergman, and from there the greater world of international cinema. So that’s something.

CSM126

#498 Post by CSM126 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:21 pm

Last Action Hero is a capital-G Great movie and I won’t hear otherwise.

peerpee
not perpee

#499 Post by peerpee » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:17 am

EddieLarkin wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:08 pm
At the end of 2019, when I guess it came time for a new batch of Bridge on the River Kwai UHDs to be pressed in the UK, they actually went back so they could add the original mono track, which was missing from the earlier pressing. I'm not sure I've ever known a major studio to do that before. The original mono track for that film has not been seen since Laserdisc, and it sounds glorious.
I wonder whether they fixed the opening titles too? Which, for the whole first 4-5 minutes looked utterly appalling for a UHD.

EddieLarkin

#500 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:48 am

peerpee wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:17 am
I wonder whether they fixed the opening titles too? Which, for the whole first 4-5 minutes looked utterly appalling for a UHD.
I don't believe the video has been touched. I actually remember you posting about this on Twitter years ago, but I've forgotten your specific complaint. Was it simply their dupey nature? Which combined with Sony's approach to HDR (shine a giant uber torch behind the entire image) would probably make them look weird, but then that should be the case across all their UHDs. I did notice a strange digital like effect where the titles don't properly fade out but instead half fade and then drop off, but perhaps they've always been like that?