TV of 2021

Discuss TV shows old and new.
therewillbeblus

TV of 2021

#1 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:35 am

Lupin is getting some high praise but the first five eps in Part 1 aren't much more than a fantasy tale full of contrivances that make the skillful aspects of the narrative hold less weight. That's not to say that the mystery is devoid of fun, but explanations are absurd -from plot specifics (the prison book.. what?) to an explanation for why a marriage fell apart, including the stupidest therapist insert of aggressive opinion I've seen yet. All this would be forgivable for the sake of superficial entertainment, except the tone continuously reminds us that this is a serious revenge tale, a drama about social responsibility and harming loved ones, and half-measured commentary on racism (the source is there, and some posturing elsewhere, but several specific scenes completely colorblind the climate to irritating degrees). I might continue whenever the next five come out, as it's not a huge commitment and this kind of constantly moving crime thriller is engaging enough, but -as is often the case with universally-acclaimed Netflix series (hello, Russian Doll)- the hype is lost on me. At least Ludivine Sagnier gets to play a more self-actualized character in a pretty good part.

[Note: there's no TV of 2021 thread but this belongs there]

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: TV of 2021

#2 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:15 pm

therewillbeblus wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:35 am
[Note: there's no TV of 2021 thread but this belongs there]