TV of 2021

Discuss TV shows old and new.
RIP Film

Re: TV of 2021

#26 Post by RIP Film » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:08 am

Anyone watching War of the Worlds on Fox/Epix? I low key enjoyed the first season, but season two started with a pretty odd plot turn that could be interesting or disastrous. Definitely uses the Wells story as more of a jumping off point to challenge preconceptions, and is not really faithful. Compelling performances by Gabriel Byrne and Elizabeth McGovern.

Shanzam

#27 Post by Shanzam » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:04 pm

The Curious Sofa wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:24 pm
The last episode had me in tears. This may also have to do with how it coincided with the 6 month lockdown we've been in where I live. The episode largely takes place at a concert and it conveys the excitement when you are young and you go to a gig and being taken away by the music and being among hundreds of people you love the same thing you do, better than anything I've seen.
I was a bit disappointed by the narrative moving away from the military base and introducing completely new characters in the series' final episode. Seemed like an artificial ending meant to distract from the troubled relations at the military base. (not saying it wasn't lovely).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#28 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:46 pm

Shanzam

#29 Post by Shanzam » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:30 pm

I started watching Jam but kept switching to Succession whenever Jam got too weird. I'll probably continue watching both. I picked up on all the Succession characters in ep 1. Hope it means they're about to be well-developed.

therewillbeblus

#30 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:25 pm

Burnham has apparently dropped out due to scheduling conflicts, and replaced by Sean Patrick Small

Murdoch

#31 Post by Murdoch » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:07 pm

Y: The Last Man finally got a TV show. I'm two episodes in and think it has the potential to surpass the comic. I liked the comic series but thought it was too silly at times (the protagonists spend a good portion of the series on a pirate ship) and the characters were pretty one-note.

That said, the comic series engaged with political and social fallout in a way that rose the material above the dimestore paperback plot. The various factions that arose and the title character's role as a pawn amongst those factions made the series a compelling exploration of humanity struggling following a unique apocalyptic event. If anything, the concept provides a great framework to work from.

It's too early to say this but I think this will become one of the defining shows of the 2020s. The concept and timing of its release are too perfect to me for it to go unnoticed. Time will tell but I very much look forward to what the show does with the source material.

therewillbeblus

#32 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:15 pm

Woah, that's some praise, Murdoch! I trust your TV tastes, so maybe I'll give it a go- I've been apprehensive (especially following the Preacher adaptation) since the graphic novel series was my introduction into that medium and I adored it -though it's hard to gauge how much of that is based on nostalgia and my life circumstances back then (my ex from the time, who also loved the comic, and I even planned to get a dog and name it Ampersand!)

Murdoch

#33 Post by Murdoch » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:57 pm

Oh the show could totally go off the rails a la Preacher. I just think a show about the male gender being wiped off the planet by an unknown plague feels very of the moment. Also, I really like that the show is incorporating trans men and how the disaster essentially outed them as trans. The comic feels very dated in that regard.

Walter Kurtz

#34 Post by Walter Kurtz » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:51 pm

Billy Bob inside a cocktail of Hitchcock, Lynch and WKW. If you're into this sort of thing, this is the best season of Goliath yet and makes up for the dismal third season.

Dr Amicus

#35 Post by Dr Amicus » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:03 am

Apple dropped the first two episodes of their expensive adaptation of Asimov's Foundation and they're pretty promising so far. The first episode is basically the first story in the first book (the original trilogy by the way are not novels, they're a series of short stories & novellas), the second is largely filling in the blanks between the stories. Considering the books are largely unfilmable as they are, clearly any adaptation was going to have be fairly loose - I'm silghtly worried we're going to have a bit too much 'colonists struggling on hostile planet' before getting to the meat of the stories, but we'll see.

It looks trememendous by the way, you can see the budget on the screen. I'm not sure about some of the costumes - some of the outer planet delegates look like refugees from the 1980s - but that comes with the genre. Seeing the title of the third episode, I'm expecting we'll be hitting the second story (which was actually the first published when they came out in the Astounding - the first story in the book was a later addition) soon. Recommended so far if you have Apple TV+.

Mr Sausage

#36 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:06 pm

Trailer the Chucky tv series. And it's a direct sequel to the last two direct-to-video Chucky films (which, surprisingly, weren't awful) and not to the forgettable remake.

Noiretirc

#37 Post by Noiretirc » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:01 pm

My searching skills are obviously quite terrible. Has Mare of Easttown been discussed anywhere? Thanks.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#38 Post by swo17 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:14 pm

Only briefly here I believe

therewillbeblus

#40 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:35 pm

I love That 70s Show, so I'll enter this with very cautious optimism (let's not talk about That 80s Show...)

Murdoch

#41 Post by Murdoch » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:12 pm

Murdoch wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:07 pm
Y: The Last Man finally got a TV show. I'm two episodes in and think it has the potential to surpass the comic. I liked the comic series but thought it was too silly at times (the protagonists spend a good portion of the series on a pirate ship) and the characters were pretty one-note.

That said, the comic series engaged with political and social fallout in a way that rose the material above the dimestore paperback plot. The various factions that arose and the title character's role as a pawn amongst those factions made the series a compelling exploration of humanity struggling following a unique apocalyptic event. If anything, the concept provides a great framework to work from.

It's too early to say this but I think this will become one of the defining shows of the 2020s. The concept and timing of its release are too perfect to me for it to go unnoticed. Time will tell but I very much look forward to what the show does with the source material.
Cancelled. So I was waaaaay off. Looks like it was budgetary issues and a lot of problems with production.

It's a shame because I was liking it a lot more than the comic. It was building a more complex narrative from the groundwork laid by the comic, giving its tertiary characters more depth and adding a trans male character, which was the most compelling addition.

yoloswegmaster

#42 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:26 pm

ianungstad

#43 Post by ianungstad » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:36 pm

It's only been a couple of episodes but this new Chucky series is pretty damn good! Quality is well above the typical genre show.

Shanzam

#44 Post by Shanzam » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:31 pm

I'm on episode 6 of The Foundation. I'd probably have more fun watching this if I had read the books. Gaale/Hari storyline pulled me in, the rest seem confusing for now, probably due to timeline jumping.

Dr Amicus

#45 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:54 pm

The books aren’t going to help much, the series is very different in details, even if the premise is there. The original trilogy is effectively a collection of short stories and novellas, the earlier stories each take place about 30 years apart and are basically problem solving conundrums on occurrence of a Seldon Crisis. No time jumping in a story and very little onscreen action. There’s a reason these have taken a long time to make it to the screen!

Shanzam

#46 Post by Shanzam » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:41 pm

I didn't completely give up on the series, I just had far more fun watching The Chestnut Man or Maid. Could be a genre issue too, I'm not a die-hard SF fan. So then books and the series should be read/watched separately. Noted.

therewillbeblus

#47 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:01 pm

The MacGruber series will premiere on Dec 16

smccolgan

#48 Post by smccolgan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:52 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:01 pm
The MacGruber series will premiere on Dec 16
Possibly my most-anticipated watch right now other than the clearly Shane Black-indebted Hawkeye.

RIP Film

#49 Post by RIP Film » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:54 am

Netflix’s Cowboy Bebop is what you would get if you took a daytime soap opera, put everyone in Halloween costumes from the anime, had Jerry Bruckheimer produce and the dialogue written by the screenwriters of Venom and Thor: Ragnarok. Actually the last part is true. Yeah I wasn’t feeling it.

Shanzam

#50 Post by Shanzam » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:18 pm

I wouldn't mind The Foundation being a bit more soap-operish. Not as soap-operish as Apple's Invasion I'm currently watching, it's not that easy to find a healthy balance it seems.