American Crime Story

Discuss TV shows old and new.
flyonthewall2983

Re: American Crime Story

#26 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:14 pm

It sounds like they're also going to do the Versace season, so it airs sandwiched in the middle of the Katrina one.

Ribs

#27 Post by Ribs » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:53 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:It sounds like they're also going to do the Versace season, so it airs sandwiched in the middle of the Katrina one.
Do you have a source for this? A report last month said they'll be filmed Versace-then-Katrina, but they'd air Katrina-break-Versace. It'd be kind of neat to have them sandwiched like you say but I don't think the network would be willing to do it.

flyonthewall2983

#28 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:18 pm

I heard the same thing as you but may have understood it wrong. Bottom line is is that both of these may wind up on-air next year.

Ribs

#29 Post by Ribs » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:31 pm

Yeah, that's what I understood to be the case. It's still *insane* to me they're purportedly casting the Clinton/Lewinsky season to air in 2019 though. TV shouldn't be this far ahead!

Professor Wagstaff

#30 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:37 am

Who is/are the showrunner(s) for the upcoming seasons? I credit the lion's share of season 1's success to the expert work of Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewskim but I've not heard if they've been tasked for the upcoming installments.

Harry Caul

#31 Post by Harry Caul » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:08 am

Late to the party, but here is my review of American Crime Story Season 1: The People vs. O.J. Simpson

Overall, the series was solid. My primary complaint I had was that it was too short - they skipped over a LOT of interesting sequences from the trial itself. Where was the interview with Kato Kaelin, or the dog-walking neighbor who originally found the two bodies?!

Comments:

-Terrible casting of CGJ to play O.J. - this was one of the worst casting decisions in the history of TV shows. Maybe CGJ was the same age as O.J. was at the time of the crimes, but there the similarities ended. He didn't look or sound anything like O.J. - they definitely could have gotten someone better to play that role. That all being said, he didn't have a lot of speaking parts...

-Poor casting re: John Travolta as lawyer Robert Shapiro. He was made up to look kind of like Shapiro, but was much heaver. I.e., he didn't look anything like him.

-Conversely, the casting of the other actors was amazing. The actor(s) who played Johnnie Cochran, Marcia Clark, and Judge Ito were especially spot-on - superb casting here.

-The show was also great re: making me aware of other aspects of the trial, that I had either forgotten or never paid attention to when it was actually happening:

I.e., I had forgotten that the jury was sequestered for 8 months - WTF?! Horrible. I can't imagine being out of touch with everything for that long, being away from work, etc. I don't know how most of these people kept their jobs - unless they were retired. There should be a law against having trials last this long - sickening.

It was funny seeing that one young woman go "nuts" on the series - or, "appear" to go nuts...presumably so she could get out of continuing to serve on the jury.

I'm sure the cost of this trial ran well into the millions. Just housing & feeding that jury in an expensive hotel for 8 months must have cost a pretty penny. Your taxpayer dollars at work....

- I didn't know that OJ wore latex gloves when he tried the leather gloves on - so, of course the leather gloves didn't fit! Just wearing the latex gloves would keep the leather gloves from fitting properly. And, it should be common knowledge that leather tends to shrink when it's moistened - as these gloves were. Also, it was extremely foolish for the prosecution to have had OJ try the gloves on - even Marcia thought this was a bad idea (if that's really the way it happened). I wonder if F. Lee Bailey actually whispered to Darden that if the prosecution didn't ask OJ to try the gloves on, the defense would? I doubt the defense would have asked OJ to try on the gloves (even if they did threaten to).

-If OJ didn't commit these heinous crimes, how did his blood/DNA end up at the murder scene?! And, how did the blood/DNA/hair of Nicole & Ron end up all over his car, his house, etc.?! Going along with this, IIRC he had cut(s) on his hands when he was caught. His guilt seemed straightforward to me.

I don't believe Mark F. - or anyone else - planted any evidence. Not because I don't believe the authorities aren't capable of it - or that they wouldn't do it if it served their purposes....but because there was so much blood/DNA/hair evidence already there that they wouldn't have needed to. Yes, Mark F. was dishonest by not coming clean on his racist statements - however, that doesn't mean that he would have stooped so low as to plant evidence on a case where the prosecution should already have had more than enough to begin with....

Plus, when would this evidence have been planted?! The crime scene was not discovered by LE - it was discovered by a neighbor walking his dog who alerted them. This type of crime was very unusual for that upscale part of L.A. - so obviously the authorities wouldn't have been cruising that neighborhood.

Plus, as has already been stated, the LAPD definitely did not "have it in" for OJ before this crime took place - he had already been given more than one pass by them when they were previously called (more than once, apparently) re: his domestic abuse against Nicole.

- Re: the outcome of the trial: it's interesting that back in '95, based on the jurors' decision - most of the jurors in the trial obviously didn't believe OJ was guilty....nor did all of the people who cheered when the innocent verdict was reached.

So, why did OJ get a not guilty verdict? I think there were four main reasons for this:

-Judge Ito stupidly allowing the trial to be televised. Obviously Ito wanted to make a name for himself. As a result, public opinion had a lot to do with the outcome here, when it shouldn't have. For that matter, Ito shouldn't even have BEEN the judge on this trial since there was a conflict of interest re: his wife (a LE officer) having had negative run-ins with Mark F.

-The decision by the prosecution to call Mark F. to the stand - incredibly foolish.

-The decision by the prosecution to have OJ try on the gloves - also incredibly foolish.

-It's obvious that DNA testing hadn't been around that long back in 1994/1995, when the crime & later trial took place. A lot of people at that time didn't really have a clue on how accurate this was in establishing someone's identity.

Of course, we'll never know 100% how this trial would have played out under different circumstances.

Thankfully, OJ lost that civil trial in '97.

Ribs

#32 Post by Ribs » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:08 pm

Matthew Broderick entering the mix for Season 2, meaning we've got the makings of a much-anticipated Rules Don't Apply reunion

PfR73

#33 Post by PfR73 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Fictionalize the character so we can see the further adventures of Cooter Burger!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#34 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:54 pm

OJ Simpson has been granted parole

thirtyframesasecond

#36 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sun May 20, 2018 11:23 am

Did anyone watch this? I thought it was superb, better than the OJ series. Darren Criss was chilling.

black&huge

#37 Post by black&huge » Sun May 20, 2018 4:14 pm

Harry Caul wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:08 am
-Terrible casting of CGJ to play O.J. - this was one of the worst casting decisions in the history of TV shows. Maybe CGJ was the same age as O.J. was at the time of the crimes, but there the similarities ended. He didn't look or sound anything like O.J. - they definitely could have gotten someone better to play that role. That all being said, he didn't have a lot of speaking parts..
I noticed CGJ has become a pariah of sorts for a number of years now. I'm curious why no one wants to cast hin for anything. Tarantino flat out refused to even see him when he lobbied to play Django. If his performance in this series is an indicator, is it just simply that he doesn't care about acting as much as he thinks he does and everyone but him notices?

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#38 Post by Never Cursed » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:38 pm

Third season will be about the Monica Lewinsky scandal, will star Sarah Paulson and Beanie Feldstein as Lewinsky

flyonthewall2983

#39 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:29 am

Clive Owen is playing Bill Clinton, which I can totally see.

therewillbeblus

#40 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:24 pm

Never Cursed wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:38 pm
Beanie Feldstein as Lewinsky
I'll admit that's somewhat inspired casting, but just thinking of her in the role is insufferable- though I'm imagining her playing her character in Booksmart all grown up..

Melanie Lynskey would be a good pick if this was done like ten years ago

Daneurism

#41 Post by Daneurism » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:24 pm

Melanie Lynskey...wow, spot on.