Wisteria/Unrecorded Night (David Lynch, 2022?)

Discuss TV shows old and new.
solaris72

Wisteria/Unrecorded Night (David Lynch, 2022?)

#1 Post by solaris72 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:55 pm

David Lynch to start shooting Netflix series (working title: "Wisteria") in 2021
What’s On Netflix today spotted the mention of an Untitled David Lynch Project (Working Title: Wisteria) in issue 1222 of Production Weekly. The listing mentions that shooting is set to start in May 2021 and that some of it will take place at Calvert Studios, which is where Rancho Rosa shot parts for Twin Peaks: The Return. The new series is written by David Lynch and he will direct with Sabrina S. Sutherland as the producer.

Big Ben

Re: Wisteria (David Lynch, 2022?)

#2 Post by Big Ben » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:01 pm

It was rumored that Lynch was working on something before the Pandemic happened and if this is indeed what was being hinted at I couldn't be more excited.

Persona

#3 Post by Persona » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:24 pm

I am so in.

senseabove

#4 Post by senseabove » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:01 pm

The Desperate Housewives reboot I've always dreamed of!

Cde.

#5 Post by Cde. » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:07 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:01 pm
It was rumored that Lynch was working on something before the Pandemic happened and if this is indeed what was being hinted at I couldn't be more excited.
It is. Someone on Reddit who knew the title said back in February that it would shoot in May for 200 days, but that seems to have been pushed a full year. Lynch said a few months back that he couldn't shoot without a vaccine, so perhaps they're being optimistic he can get one with the new start date.

Finch

#6 Post by Finch » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:32 am

2021 is already better for that news. Would be nice if he gives Sheryl Lee a part in it. Such a criminally underused actress. This is also where we're going to see Laura Dern with a bald head if she goes along with that idea. Up for anything so long as it's not Wild at Heart related. I can't stand that film.

I think the tentative May shooting date is a tad optimistic though given that the FDR hasn't approved any of the vaccines yet and CA is one of the hardest affected states in the country. If it happens in May, great, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed into the summer. And with Wisteria being on Netflix: is it going to be released all at once or is Lynch going to force them to put out each episode on a weekly basis? I'm kind of surprised they haven't done so with their existing hit shows. If you've got a water cooler phenomenon, you might want to keep the conversation going for as long as possible.

And is the series going to get a physical release?

We'll know in late 2022....

Persona

#7 Post by Persona » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:37 pm

Conjecture that it might be Twin Peaks spin-off about Carrie Page:

https://nerdist.com/article/david-lynch ... -wisteria/

flyonthewall2983

#8 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:43 am

Is that not actually feasible because it's not being done for CBS/Showtime?

What's exciting to me here is the possibility of him going further with HD than he did with The Return, especially since all Netflix originals are shown in 4K.

J M Powell

#9 Post by J M Powell » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:32 pm

Everything is feasible with the right contracts, and it's not crazy to imagine CBS letting Netflix do a fourth season if they're willing to pay for the right to do so. Twin Peaks isn't Star Trek. On the Netflix side of things, there is certainly precedent for them picking up other networks' discards (Arrested Development, for example; they also negotiated to pick up Hannibal, whose fanbase has at least some overlap with TP's, but the deal fell through).

But Mark Frost has claimed on Twitter that he is "Not involved at all" with the new Netflix series. And when someone else asked whether perhaps he had to say so due to a nondisclosure agreement, he responded, "No. No NDA. Not involved. Period." Sounds definitive.

If it is Twin Peaks, Frost must have bowed out. That's unlikely.

So Wisteria is probably something unrelated to TP.

EDIT: Maybe Frost bowing out is true after all. Apparently, earlier this year Lynch became the sole corporate officer of Twin Peaks Productions, Inc. Frost and Lynch had together been the corporation's two officers for the previous thirty years.

smccolgan

#10 Post by smccolgan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:51 pm

J M Powell wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:32 pm
they also negotiated to pick up Hannibal, whose fanbase has at least some overlap with TP's, but the deal fell through
what's this? would love a fourth season of hannibal, or at least closure.

J M Powell

#11 Post by J M Powell » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:41 pm

smccolgan wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:51 pm
J M Powell wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:32 pm
they also negotiated to pick up Hannibal, whose fanbase has at least some overlap with TP's, but the deal fell through
what's this? would love a fourth season of hannibal, or at least closure.
Happened a long time ago, right after the series was initially canceled. It fell through because the show had a preexisting streaming deal with Amazon that Amazon wouldn't let them out of, and Netflix was willing to do a new season only if they got the old ones to stream too.

Finch

#13 Post by Finch » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:01 pm

Unrecorded Night and Wisteria are likely to be the same project under different titles.

I've been wondering for some time whether Lynch/Frost are the sole rightholders of Twin Peaks or if CBS/Showtime have a share in it, and if so, how that would affect rights to characters if Unrecorded Night/Wisteria turns out to be a spin off of sorts involving Carrie Page and/or Cooper/Richard. Hannibal's fourth season would not include Clarice Sterling since MGM would not relinquish the rights to the character. Whether CBS/Showtime would feel similarly protective of Peaks characters is another question.

Lynch also copyrighted a poem called In The Dream in June.

If Kyle and Sheryl end up on the casting sheet, I'll start believing that Unrecorded Night/Wisteria is a spin off or continuation of their characters' stories in a different town/setting. I'd love for them to return in any roles though. Lynch hasn't worked with Kyle outside Twin Peaks since Blue Velvet.

R0lf

#14 Post by R0lf » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:49 pm

If we’re going that WISTERIA is a cover title there is a type of wisteria called blue velvet.

solaris72

#15 Post by solaris72 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:47 pm

Finch

Re: Wisteria/Unrecorded Night (David Lynch, 2022?)

#16 Post by Finch » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:55 pm

Christine Larson-Nitzsche returns as Line Producer.

Finch

#17 Post by Finch » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:56 am

More Lynch regulars coming back: Peter Deming as DP, Johanna Ray for casting and two other crew members whose names and positions escape me just now.

EDIT: the other two are Cori Glazer who's been script supervisor on Lynch's films for a long time, and Ronald Eng, re-recording mixer and sound supervisor.
Last edited by Finch on Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#18 Post by soundchaser » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:31 pm

Excellent — both of them were the unsung heroes of Twin Peaks: The Return.

Finch

#19 Post by Finch » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:58 pm

Production Weekly no longer lists Unrecorded Night as a Netflix project and has also removed any mention of Netflix from all preceding entries.

Dean Hurley is also on board. He was the music supervisor (and I believe, sound mixer) on The Return.

Persona

#20 Post by Persona » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:00 pm

Scott Cameron back as first assistant director.

So far this is the exact same crew that worked on The Return. And I'm not complaining because the third season of Twin Peaks is, for me, one of the great TV/film/whatever achievements of the past decade.

I am a little disappointed if this doesn't end up on Netflix just because I know they would have thrown plenty of money at it (though maybe they balked at budget estimates, I dunno) but mostly cuz ease of access. I had to wait for the blu-ray to finish The Return and then I had to wait a couple more years for my friends to catch up before we could talk about it.

Everyone I know has Netflix and it would be kind of cool to share in this thing again in a way like when Twin Peaks was on network TV.

solaris72

#21 Post by solaris72 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:20 pm

In today's weather report from Lynch, he says he'll have an announcement to make tomorrow.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#22 Post by soundchaser » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:41 pm

It could also be that 2/1/21 is a repeating date with some cosmic significance. You never know.

J M Powell

#23 Post by J M Powell » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:39 pm

Turns out today's announcement was going to be that he planned to go on hiatus from the YouTube weather reports and number-of-the-day drawing videos, but then he read comments on the announcement-announcement video from yesterday and changed his mind, so instead today's announcement is that the planned announcement of his hiatus has been canceled, and the regular announcements of weather and numbers will continue.

Got it?

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#24 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:47 pm

I love him.

Finch

#25 Post by Finch » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:37 pm

Would be kinda hilarious if he were to set aside 10 mins each day on the set of Unrecorded Night to do a weather report for wherever they are, plus the numbers.