Curb Your Enthusiasm

Discuss TV shows old and new.
justeleblanc

#1 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:36 pm

Does anyone know where I can see a promo for the new season? I don't have HBO anymore but I might have to get it if the new season is as good as the last.

Anonymous

#2 Post by Anonymous » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:45 pm

Even if the next season isn't as good as the last, it will still be pure genius! Long live Larry David!!

unclehulot

#3 Post by unclehulot » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:32 pm

Larry David conducting Wagner's Prelude to Die Meistersinger in a neighbor's back yard (in a season 2 episode) is the funniest single scene in anything recent.....I'm still spitting popcorn at the tv screen!

Travis

#4 Post by Travis » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:54 pm

Unfortunately, I don't know many people who think the fourth season is on par with the previous three...I certainly don't. Though there are of course still many, many priceless moments for viewing...

ecschmidt

#5 Post by ecschmidt » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:58 am

On Amazon's page for the Season 4 DVD you can watch some CYE clips, including a couple from the upcoming set.

justeleblanc

#6 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:38 am

Travis wrote:Unfortunately, I don't know many people who think the fourth season is on par with the previous three...I certainly don't. Though there are of course still many, many priceless moments for viewing...
It's the final episode that saved it for me. For a while I was convinced that CYE peaked with season 3, but after Mel Brooks was in the bar with his wife (so sad if you think about it now) I remember calling all of my friends while it was airing laughing with them over the phone. And the best part is that I should have seen it coming, knowing Larry David, you'd think someone could have predicted the ending.

tavernier

#7 Post by tavernier » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:13 pm

I didn't realize this was a film.

jorencain

#8 Post by jorencain » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:36 pm

Yeah, you dickheads, quit confusing everyone!!!

I've only seen bits of the 4th season, and the first episode I saw was the finale. I think all the seasons have been fantastic so far, but I like the thru-story of the 4th season, particularly his search to get laid. I was about to name some other great episodes, but there are so many, and everyone has their favorites, that it would be pointless. I'll just say that I can't wait for the new season.

rs98762001

#9 Post by rs98762001 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:55 pm

I'm hoping the new series will be a return to form. Personally thought S4 was a huge letdown from 1-3. Too many Hollywood guest stars (although the Ben Stiller sneeze thing was hilarious) and too predictable for the most part. It felt safe for the first time, as if Larry was coasting on his Larry-ness a little too much.

unclehulot

#10 Post by unclehulot » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:17 pm

rs98762001 wrote:I'm hoping the new series will be a return to form. Personally thought S4 was a huge letdown from 1-3. Too many Hollywood guest stars (although the Ben Stiller sneeze thing was hilarious) and too predictable for the most part. It felt safe for the first time, as if Larry was coasting on his Larry-ness a little too much.
Perhaps he should launch another show about the onus of having to play the "Larry David" character!

Faux Hulot
Jack Of All Tirades

#11 Post by Faux Hulot » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:22 pm

Travis wrote:Unfortunately, I don't know many people who think the fourth season is on par with the previous three...I certainly don't.
I just watched all four seasons for the first time, in quick succession, and in terms of story arc and overall consistency I thought the fourth season was the best. In retrospect I don't know how I didn't see the finale coming either -- pure sleight of hand? -- but I thought it was brilliant.

rs98762001

#12 Post by rs98762001 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:41 pm

Faux Hulot wrote:I just watched all four seasons for the first time, in quick succession, and in terms of story arc and overall consistency I thought the fourth season was the best. In retrospect I don't know how I didn't see the finale coming either -- pure sleight of hand? -- but I thought it was brilliant.
Yeah, the last episode of Season 4 was brilliant - but in my opinion it barely justified what preceded it.

And I'm a bit mixed on Season 5 thus far. More like the old Curb, for sure, and indeed funny. But the whole enterprise feels stale to me. I could swear most of the scenarios and jokes have already happened in previous episodes and seasons.

devlinnn

#13 Post by devlinnn » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:44 pm

Faux Hulot wrote:In retrospect I don't know how I didn't see the finale coming either -- pure sleight of hand? -- but I thought it was brilliant.
I've yet to meet someone who predicted the outcome - pure genius. But the saving grace for the whole series for me was the Survivor meeting the Survivor.

Young survivor - 'I bet you haven't even seen our show!'
Old survivor - 'Have you seen our show? It was called the Holocaust?'

The look of modest pride on Larry David's face as the scene played out was added bliss to what was a genuine middle finger fuck you! to our seemingly obsessed pop culture society.

Antoine Doinel

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

#14 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:54 am

The entire cast of Seinfeld will be making a cameo appearance in the forthcoming season. No word yet on Woody.

Highway 61

#15 Post by Highway 61 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:50 am

This sounds like a terrible idea to me--unless Larry David has the balls to acknowledge that all four of their careers are in the toilet, and in Michael Richards's case, totally irredeemable. Larry introducing Richards to his new family, for instance, could be hilarious if played right.

Antoine Doinel

#16 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:05 am

Well, from what I saw of Jason Alexander's previous cameo on the show, the actors inability to escape the "Seinfeld curse" was fair game. Alexander had a pretty great rant about how every script he's now offered has him playing a variation of George.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#17 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:54 pm

Larry David can do no wrong with this show, as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure he'll present this in a humorous way. Seinfeld isn't something that's avoided as a topic of conversation in Curb, he mentions being the creator of the show when he needs to get out of a jam, and people (most memorably Rob Corddry's character) come up to him on the street to tell him what they think of the show. So it's certainly not breaking any taboos to have this happen, and I trust Larry, it's one of the few comedies currently on TV that hasn't decreased in quality one bit since it premiered.

LQ

#18 Post by LQ » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:34 am

More information on the upcoming season.
"The seventh season of David's improvised HBO comedy, which returns on Sept. 20, will be centered around the TV version of David finally agreeing to do a reunion of the defining '90s sitcom. All four "Seinfeld" castmembers -- Jerry Seinfeld, Jason Alexander, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Michael Richards -- will play themselves in multiple episodes, and the season finale will feature extensive snippets of the show-within-the-show."

Sounds brilliant to me.

LQ

#19 Post by LQ » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:19 am

Thoughts on the opener? The beginning was a little jarring for me but once it got rolling, it was hysterical. Great guest star turn by Catherine O'Hara.
Best line of the night: "Don't condescend me with your tiny pear!"

kaujot

#20 Post by kaujot » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:17 pm

An excellent opener, I thought. I was also very glad to get some quality interaction between Cheryl and Larry so early.

Highway 61

#21 Post by Highway 61 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:50 pm

Probably the best season opener David's done. Looks like a very promising season.

What struck me most, however, was that the look of the show changed drastically. The cuts and camera movements seemed far more polished, and the show felt more scripted as a result (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Polybius

#22 Post by Polybius » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:57 am

Oddly intriguing to see Jeff be a bigger asshole than Larry.

I've loved Catherine O'Hara for almost 30 years now and her greatness is undiminished.

flyonthewall2983

#23 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:04 am

starmanof51

#24 Post by starmanof51 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:18 pm

This Sanders/SNL thing might be the thing to coax a Curb season out of him

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:04 pm