Television Commercials

Discuss TV shows old and new.
colinr0380

Re: Television Commercials

#251 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:39 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:09 am
Aoi Miyazaki has been one of my favorite young actresses ever since I first encountered her in Eureka (2000). I just happened on a collection of commercials she did for Earth, Music and Ecology (a recycled clothing company). The first little segment has her singing a Blue Hearts song -- but even more interesting is a sequence starting around 6:27 in where she appears to be in Finland (and speaking Finnish) -- and the content is VERY Kaurismaki-esque. Was he moonlighting doing commercials for Japan in 2011-2016?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LZbi_yuLdc
Michael Kerpan wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:58 pm
Follow-up to my own question

Eija Niskanen, a Finnish film professor friend on the KineJapan mailing list, confirms these commercials were indeed made by Kaurismaki. She also says that some of these were even filmed at Kaurismaki's own bar Corona and the attached Moscow Bar (which sadly don't exist any more).
Wow, that's amazing! And somewhat validating to know that Aoi Miyazaki has as much sugar in her coffee as I do!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#252 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:51 pm

That seems to be a rather bottomless sugar jar.

Aoi Miyazaki is such a treasure.... (but what is Kaurismaki doing these days -- is he retired?)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#253 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:21 pm

Hadn’t seen this before: Smarienberg, a 1996 Smirnoff vodka commercial for the UK directed by Michel Gondry, which like all of Gondry’s best work has a compelling idea (here a novel approach to wipe transitions) and gets as much mileage out if it as is possible in 73 seconds

colinr0380

#254 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:01 am

I remember that Smirnoff advert along with television (where it used to get cut up into smaller sections) getting shown all the time in full during the late 90s/early 2000s trailer reel in UK cinemas too. Which makes sense for its surround sound rumblings!

colinr0380

#255 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:05 am

I really hate being preached to, particularly in advertising, but this deodorant advert works really well!. It also fits in with my wish to only receive my information about tote bags through the medium of bears. And I may have to try the line "You're just an over-farmed cod!" on my loved one and gauge their reaction!

(Although in the midst of the biggest rail strike in thirty years in the UK the line that: "I sometimes drive to work, even though the public transport is fairly reliable" hits with an added layer of irony at the moment!)