The Venture Bros

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Steven H

The Venture Bros

#1 Post by Steven H » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:39 pm

This is currently the only TV show I'm watching (though I'm sure there are others out there worth the time) and I'm really digging the new season, maybe not as much as the second, but still.

The latest episode contained a "superhero" named The Sea Cow who dreams(ed) of a world made more like the ocean, to be peaceful. He planned to do this with an army of "Cuddlefish". Cuddlefish.

I hope more people on this site enjoy this show as much as I do.

tryavna

#2 Post by tryavna » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:31 pm

I always love this show when I catch it, but for whatever reason, I just haven't been watching [adult swim] much lately. Probably too many movies to catch up on, and it often interferes with The Daily Show, etc.

Speaking of The Daily Show, etc., I particularly like the episodes of Venture Brothers with Colbert. He's got such a fantastic voice for cartoon characters.

Matt

#3 Post by Matt » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:28 pm

Last night's episode was the first time this season that I thought the show hit the heights of season 2. That's probably because it had my two favorite things about the show: Dean being a total dork and the Monarch being a total dick. There has been a serious lack of Triana Orpheus so far this season, though.

You guys know about the t-shirts, right?

Steven H

#4 Post by Steven H » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:15 pm

The T-Shirts are incredible. Maybe one day. Season three has been plagued by some kind of bizarrely poor storytelling. It seems like they're trying to throw in too much too fast (and Jackson Publick's blog mentions that he's cutting out a lot of stuff.) I do like that Hank and Dean are "growing up" a bit, it makes for some good comedy.

The second episode is my favorite so far. The origin of Billy Quizboy with the G. I. Joe reference.

edit: and unfortunately, Tryavna, Colbert is leaving the show.
Last edited by Steven H on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

#5 Post by Matt » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:27 pm

Steven H wrote: It seems like they're trying to throw in too much too fast
And trying to expand the Venture universe with every episode. All these previously unknown or peripheral characters are coming to the fore now. And most of them are pretty awful (Dr. Quymn, Sgt. Hatred, Dermot).

Steven H

#6 Post by Steven H » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:44 pm

I agree. Too much too fast. I do like Sgt. Hatred though, particularly his remarkably appropriate "villainous" paedo inclinations towards the Venture twins. I want Dermont to die. I can see what they're doing, he's kind of Hank's "Triana", but still.

In Heaven

#7 Post by In Heaven » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:04 pm

And wow, the new episode was terrible.

Steven H

#8 Post by Steven H » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:23 am

Funny that we were just talking about how annoying it is that they're constantly expanding the cast of characters, but boy, Brainulo and Scaramantula are excellent villains. And the return of Colonel Gentleman had me guffawing a bit. Except for the noted lack of Colbert, I thought the episode was one of the best.

What A Disgrace

#9 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:14 pm

I *loved* this week's episode. Maybe I'm an incredible sucker and someone will inform me of how much of a geek I am, but this is by far the most nerd-worthy episode in the show thus far.

Polybius

#10 Post by Polybius » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:42 am

It took them a while to get up to speed this year. All of the Monarch episodes have been stellar and I liked all of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen satire last week, but this year has still been a bit of a disappointment. (Matt's absolutely right about Triana.) With only a couple of eps left, they're going to have to work hard to equal S2.

Is it my imagination, or is Jonas, Jr. more of a prick this year?
Last edited by Polybius on Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steven H

Re: The Venture Bros

#11 Post by Steven H » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:17 pm

What are the thoughts on Season 4 (or the first half, at least)? I think it's better than season three, and probably up there with season two. I miss Brock, but I don't hate Sgt. Hatred anymore and Triana just had a great episode (finally). The animation in this show just looks incredible, now. After the eyerolling season three finale, season four feels like the show has found an excellent groove.

Matt

#12 Post by Matt » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:53 pm

The first two episodes of this season were among the best they've ever done. Then they slipped with the Dean clone and Henchman 21 episodes (yet they were probably still better than anything from season 3), but this week's was right back to the top with the splendorous return of Triana and the Triad guys.

But I still hate Sgt. Hatred (and Dermott as well).

Steven H

#13 Post by Steven H » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:07 am

Matt wrote:But I still hate Sgt. Hatred (and Dermott as well).
I actually laughed at a Dermott line this season, though I can't really remember what it was. He's terrible. I like the Henchman 21 stuff. I think he's always been a big part of the heart of the show.

Polybius

#14 Post by Polybius » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:29 am

Was it Hank's "Wait a minute...did you just actually give some good advice?" line? I laughed at that, which marked the first time anything Dermott-related had given me a real laugh.

I agree about this last episode. There have been several good ones this year (Return To Malice and The Revenge Society) and a couple of turds. All in all, better than S3, not quite up to S2.
EON
Is that a... shoe?

[cut to the Monarch's house, Dr. Girlfriend is looking through the closet]

DR. GIRLFRIEND
Sweetie? Have you seen my other shoe? Black Ferragamo?
Classic.

Steven H

#15 Post by Steven H » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:57 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo

#16 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:04 pm

I've got to set up my cable box now.

Steven H

#17 Post by Steven H » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:22 pm

This 4.5 Season has been pretty hilarious to me, particularly the Hank Noir episode and all the Phantom Limb business. Interestingly, I went back and watched some Season three and found it a lot funnier now (maybe I've just been in the prime mood for more nerdery after Scott Pilgrim.) I think the show has taken a distinct stance on Dermott by mocking him at every opportunity and making the entire reason for his existence a twisted punchline.

Polybius

#18 Post by Polybius » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:58 am

It's working fairly well for me, too. Impossible's turn toward the dark side has been entertaining.

knives

#19 Post by knives » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:16 pm

Though I wish there was some way they could have kept Colbert. Not that Hader is doing a bad job, but Colbert's work on the character is just perfect.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#20 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:42 pm

Colbert is so perfect, but they said it was more difficult to get him again. Now what I liked in the last episode was Nathan Fillion. I didn't even realize it was him until too late. Venture's little song was hilarious, too. I've still got it stuck in my head.

Steven H

#21 Post by Steven H » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Some stills from the upcoming season. I chortled at some of the images but I still don't find anything funny about Hank's band.

Matt

#22 Post by Matt » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:43 pm

I'm loving Emo Dean.

Steven H

#23 Post by Steven H » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Matt wrote:I'm loving Emo Dean.
I just hope that the real Emo Dean is as funny as my imagined version of Emo Dean.

knives

#24 Post by knives » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:11 pm

You would know the answer is you saw the Halloween special.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#25 Post by Drucker » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:01 pm

I would say that my expectations are really low, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Halloween episode. If they separate the characters plots but weave them together, that could help I'd think, as it worked so well in the show's earliest episodes.