The Kids in the Hall / Death Comes to Town

Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Kids in the Hall / Death Comes to Town

#26 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:18 pm

Trailer for the Amazon revival reveals we’re getting a Brain Candy sequel skit and, more importantly, a sequel to the dipping areas skit!!!! Now that is fan service

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#27 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:18 am

And here is a VERY NSFW “Red Band” trailer with a lot of different footage and more returning characters

cdnchris
Site Admin

#28 Post by cdnchris » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:10 pm

I somehow missed they were doing an Amazon series (and they're all back!), so this has just brightened my day considerably!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 13, 2022 12:01 am

The series is up now. Only watched the first episode but it feels very much of a piece with the original series and had lots of good laffs. The only lame part so far is the “Friends of the Kids in the Hall” segment. Be forewarned that the series opens after the credits with the most NSFW skit this show has ever attempted (by, like, far), which makes you wonder what in the world Amazon wouldn’t let them do, as they’ve been joking about in recent interviews!

therewillbeblus

#30 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri May 13, 2022 11:44 am

domino harvey wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:01 am
Be forewarned that the series opens after the credits with the most NSFW skit this show has ever attempted (by, like, far), which makes you wonder what in the world Amazon wouldn’t let them do, as they’ve been joking about in recent interviews!
I watched this last night too, and yeah, what a wild skit. I loved it though,
SpoilerShow
especially because they evaded the contrived common use of nudity from streamers, HBO, R-rated raunch comedies of late et al. of 'We're doing this nonsensically to startle viewers but for no real point other than shock-value stimulation' by making the best gags contingent on the nudity- specifically what happens when they're asked to jump up and down. It took what I expected to be a throwaway central conceit and stretched the idea to locate new possibilities not typically exercised with the raunchy material, going one step further in step with the comedy team's established mode. Very promising opener.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#31 Post by swo17 » Fri May 13, 2022 11:48 am

The second episode is only slightly less NSFW, and I love the droppage sketch

cdnchris
Site Admin

#32 Post by cdnchris » Fri May 13, 2022 12:29 pm

The opening about Brain Candy was pretty good, too, but I find it hard to believe that my purchasing the film on VHS, DVD, and now Blu-ray didn't help get it out of the red sooner.

It felt like classic Kids in the Hall, too, which made me happy. I like that they're playing off their age, too. The stripper skit in the second episode was pretty good, and I liked the idea that they would have loonies and toonies thrown at them ($1 and $2 coins for those unfamiliar).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#33 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 13, 2022 11:00 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:48 am
The second episode is only slightly less NSFW, and I love the droppage sketch
I thought the second episode was even stronger than the first, though the opener is a dud. The imaginary girlfriend skit feels like a classic live sketch (and I really felt for the first time the absence of the laugh track). Gotta give props to the troupe for coming up with something actually novel for a “masturbating during a Zoom call” premise too.

therewillbeblus

#34 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat May 14, 2022 2:10 am

The second was definitely better, and the droppage bit was as good as it can get as far as I'm concerned. Absolutely perfect.

I also enjoyed the tart/pie one from the first more than I expected to
SpoilerShow
They took a tired idea and added flavor by having the group distressed by the 'social error' themselves break down socially and make impulsive moves (stealing the lady's phone) rather than aggressively engage around a formulated plan in calculated or consistent modes of reactivity. Their aimless hysteria was a nice tweak, for typically even the awestruck offended behave in a more uniform manner.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#35 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 15, 2022 9:54 am

Death Comes to Town is now also streaming on Amazon, FYI

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#36 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 28, 2022 2:25 pm

Episode three was the best yet, with the structure replicating a classic KITH episode and some call back character skits I didn’t expect
SpoilerShow
Especially Bingo!
and every sketch hit the mark. Highlight: Bruce McCulloch describing weight loss surgery as a procedure that leaves your stomach “the size of an opera purse”

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#37 Post by swo17 » Sat May 28, 2022 3:10 pm

I burned through the whole series but keep forgetting to post about it. It's probably unfair to compare since this is so much more concentrated (and I guess they've had years to think of and winnow out their best material) but I thought the hit-to-miss ratio here was very strong, and higher than for the original series. Even the Friends of KITH stuff sort of has a payoff (well, don't get your hopes up, but I chuckled at the last one). I also want to say that McKinney, who was never my favorite before, comes out as the MVP this season (consider: My Card, Flags of Mark, Assassin, The Patrol). If I had to pick a subjective favorite episode...7 is hot hot

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#38 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 28, 2022 5:07 pm

Yes, so far the hit to miss ratio is much higher than in the original series, but I liked that they still made time for something like the "Brand New Key" bits in episode three, where there's not really a punchline but an idea they're just exploring. I think one of the reasons I really find myself returning to KITH more than any other sketch comedy troupe or show is that they constantly took risks and were willing to do countless bits where you'd be hard pressed to explain why it's funny or sometimes even understand why it's supposed to be.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#39 Post by swo17 » Sat May 28, 2022 5:17 pm

Yeah. I think the next episode you have coming up might be a good example of that. I didn't entirely go for the recurring bit that frames it, but the rest of the sketches are strong

therewillbeblus

#40 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat May 28, 2022 6:40 pm

Agreed all around, I'll just say that the Bananas sketch in episode six was executed immaculately, especially Kevin McDonald's portrayal of the eccentrically annoying party guest character. Definitely a standout for me, and a reminder of just how high a decent absurdist idea can be elevated with the right amount of confidence and creativity infused into peripherally idiosyncratic rather than central elements