11 & 477 The Seventh Seal and Bergman Island

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
therewillbeblus

Re: The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)

#176 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat May 14, 2022 12:30 pm

Whoops, I definitely made a mistake writing the Devil vs. Death- but am entirely in agreement with that conflation being ill-fitting. Total slip on my part.
Sloper wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:02 am
I don’t even think they’re dancing over that hill, unlike Woody Allen at the end of Love and Death. It looks more like they’re being dragged along by Death, each one clinging to the person (or empty space) behind them, reaching out vainly to the tangible world they’re leaving behind. Each one except Death, that is, who looks resolutely ahead towards oblivion.

Jof thinks that Death is forcing the characters to ‘dance’, and perhaps his word-choice here is ironic, recalling the forced ‘dance’ he was made to perform in the tavern. And in the same way that Mia dismisses Jof’s ‘visions’, we can be sceptical about his interpretation of what he sees. We can’t join those people on the hill, we can only watch them from a great distance, and the nature of their experience has to remain a mystery.
I appreciate this ambiguity, which hints at a potentially more pessimistic but appropriate reading, and even one that could be optimistic- or at least self-fulfilling for Bergman. I can interpret this to be a final subtle dig from Bergman to siphon value from Jof's delusional ignorance by presenting a failure in his perceptiveness, as Bergman objectively yet hazily presents a significant event being misinterpreted, or at least oversimplified. We could surmise that, in the end, Jof's carefree way of life didn't do him any favors, and at least someone like Antonius (or Bergman himself) can be sober to what's occurring in real time. Isn't that, in some respect, the optimal existential outcome, to be present and indulge in all of life's moments to their fullest, not only the 'pleasurable' ones? Even if Antonius is also pining for the past, to get away from Death, perhaps he's at least attuned to what's occurring. This might be a defense mechanism-reframe on Bergman's part, but that doesn't make it any less true for him. And that's why I too can co-sign your final line below:
Sloper wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:02 am
I do like Bergman’s comments in interviews, though, about the comforting aspect of death-as-oblivion, and there is something of this in The Seventh Seal, alongside the abject terror. Ultimately, despite what I said above, that image of the dead souls on the hill conveys (to me) a sense of resolution, acceptance, and even serenity. I don’t mean to sound too morbid, but I’d rather be on that hill than back here on earth (at least as it’s portrayed in this film).

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: 11 & 477 The Seventh Seal and Bergman Island

#177 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:26 pm

Rupert Pupkin

#178 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:24 am

will there be the new Depeche Mode song for the bonus of The Seventh Seal ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyrLRixMs8

cdnchris
Site Admin

#179 Post by cdnchris » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:17 am

Much to my surprise the included Blu-ray in the 4K release is the 2009 version, NOT the Bergman box set version, which used the 4K restoration.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#180 Post by tenia » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:47 am

I originally supposed that might be because the boxset disc had less extras (like Bergman Island possibly included on another disc) but going back to your boxset review, it actually doesn't.
It's thus very strange to purposedly include a 14 years old disc with an older master in this combo instead of including a much more recent disc that would have allowed the same editorial content. At this stage, it feels like Criterion is willingly choosing older discs as if to artificially create a wider quality gap between the formats, while minimising both the effort going into the inclusion of the BD and the use of it being a DF release. At this point, they probably could have authored the UHD into having the extras and saved including a BD.

It's quite frustrating, anyhow, to see a prestigious label like Criterion acting like any US studio.

dwk

#181 Post by dwk » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:39 am

The disc in the box set is region free. So it is possible they only had the rights to do region free in the box set and rather than re-author the disc, they just tossed the old one in.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#182 Post by tenia » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:55 am

The UHD is region free by design, so it's not like the main disc would be region locked anyway.

dwk

#183 Post by dwk » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:09 pm

Yeah, but the Blu-ray would still have to be locked. I know it makes no sense,.

Like, why is the special features Blu-ray in Second Sight's Dawn of the Dead UHD region locked? Because they were contractually obligated to lock the Blu-rays.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#184 Post by tenia » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:07 pm

Oh I know it makes no sense, I just keep thinking part of it at least has to (but it seems like no, it can't have an ounce of sense).

hearthesilence

#185 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:49 pm

Would the Bergman box disc for The Seventh Seal need to be re-authored if it was issued with the new UHD/BD combo, or could it be used as-is? If there's any re-authoring that needs to be done, I can see them using the old BD rather than creating a whole new disc master simply to save money if the budget is really tight. It sucks all the same, but at least for me understandable given that the company just laid off a good portion of its staff.

low

#186 Post by low » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:31 pm

I'd give up a modicum of bit rate to special features in order to drop the extra Blu-ray disc from the UHD package entirely. I thought Criterion might have learnt that lesson from the Blu-ray/DVD combo era.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#187 Post by cdnchris » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:31 pm

If they wanted it region locked, they'd have to redo it. The disc's structure was essentially the same as the 2009 edition as well, right down to not resuming where you left off after a previous viewing. The only differences were the menu screen (to match the rest of the set) and the use of the new restoration.

hearthesilence

#188 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:27 pm

Is the original three-part version of Bergman Island available to view anywhere? The 83 minute cut is fine, but it does feel brutally short, barely touching on his theater work even though it has Bergman making it clear that he held that work in higher regard than his film work.

Matt

#189 Post by Matt » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:57 pm

You can buy it on an educational-market DVD for about $500.

hearthesilence

#190 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:19 am

Thanks for the tip - since it has an educational distributor, I was able to find out that some places (like The University of Illinois and the McKinney, Texas library system) can stream it to those who have access to their systems, so I guess I'll keep an eye out for it at a library or school that I can access.