Suggestions and General Discussion

A film viewing and discussion club for Criterion Collection releases.
Mr Sausage

We're Voting!

#1426 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:33 am

We're Voting!

Mr Sausage

A Runner Up Vote

#1427 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:58 pm

Here are five films that nearly won.

therewillbeblus

Re: A Runner Up Vote

#1428 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:32 pm

I surprised myself by voting for The Rock.. this stars project makes me want to view the film as a culmination of Sean Connery's entire persona, especially playing off of Cage whose emotional lability directly contrasts his stability, yet they're somehow bound intimately, reflecting their strengths in the other by the end of the film

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

Re: A Runner Up Vote

#1429 Post by soundchaser » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:45 pm

I just ordered The Philadelphia Story for the Cary Grant project. Seems like a good opportunity for some forum section crossover.

Mr Sausage

therewillbeblus presents: a vote

#1430 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:29 am

As one of our recently voted members of the year, therewillbeblus was kind enough to supply a list of films this vote.

therewillbeblus

Re: therewillbeblus presents: a vote

#1431 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:53 am

These are the five films that first came to mind when I looked into my heart (what heart?)

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#1432 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:56 am

Any chance you could let the less research-inclined among us know the best options for streaming/physical editions for these, should they be inclined to seek them out?

therewillbeblus

#1433 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:22 am

DarkImbecile wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:56 am
Any chance you could let the less research-inclined among us know the best options for streaming/physical editions for these, should they be inclined to seek them out?
I intentionally chose films with accessible releases (though perhaps not as friendly to the 'free streaming' world). All except Ema are available to rent for a couple bucks on Amazon Prime Video.

Assassination Nation has a region A blu-ray release from Universal
Ema has a region-free blu-ray release from Mubi
Margot at the Wedding has an R1 DVD release from Paramount
Mauvais Sang (i.e. Bad Blood) has a region A blu-ray release from Kino
Miller's Crossing has a region A blu-ray from Fox, that isn't outrageously priced yet (though if this wasn't a title prioritized during the Fox OOP crisis, I'd jump on that now regardless of your vote)

It also seems like Assassination Nation is available on Hulu for free for those with subscriptions, but I don't have one so I can't be 100% sure. Additionally a few other films here are free on Hulu with some add-on subscriptions like Showtime or whatever. I don't have TV channels or HBO Max or anything, so I can't comment about what's on there.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1434 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:26 am

Margot at the Wedding was on Netflix, not sure if it still is

therewillbeblus

#1435 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:30 am

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:26 am
Margot at the Wedding was on Netflix, not sure if it still is
I checked on my phone app earlier and it didn't pop up

Sloper

#1436 Post by Sloper » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:20 pm

Miller's Crossing is my favourite film (tied with The Heiress and Dreyer's Michael) so it gets my vote.

Also worth mentioning that the Region B blu-ray has a crucial music cue missing from the moment twbb alluded to in his post above - I'd be very interested to know if this is the case on the Region A version. The soundtrack is intact in the version you can buy on Amazon Prime Video, and I'm happy to settle for the downgrade in image quality.

therewillbeblus

#1437 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:33 pm

Sloper wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:20 pm
Also worth mentioning that the Region B blu-ray has a crucial music cue missing from the moment twbb alluded to in his post above - I'd be very interested to know if this is the case on the Region A version.
Huh, can you describe the music cue in a spoilerbox? I'll definitely double-check my copy when I get home and report back.

Miller's Crossing was one of my favorite films as a kid that somehow I moved away from over time and only over the last few years have I started to compulsively watch again and consider it an all-time favorite again.

[Full disclosure: I was aware that it's Sloper's (and Swo's, I believe) favorite movie and will probably vote for it myself if only to get at least one banger post about the subtle complexity going on (outside of the plot!)]

Sloper

#1438 Post by Sloper » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:42 pm

Spoiler for the climax of Miller's Crossing here:
SpoilerShow
When Tom cocks the gun and starts walking towards Bernie, there's a slow build up of ominous music, climaxing very similarly to the earlier (corresponding) scene in the woods. In the Region B blu-ray, there's no music at all. It could be a revision requested by the Coens themselves for all I know, but I can't imagine why - the scene is much more effective with music.

Mr Sausage

#1439 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:50 pm

Miller’s Crossing was my favourite Coen Bros. movie back in highschool and something I put on frequently. Like twbb, it’s a movie I’ve fallen away from over the last decade for no special reason.

therewillbeblus

#1440 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:26 pm

Sloper wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:20 pm
Also worth mentioning that the Region B blu-ray has a crucial music cue missing from the moment twbb alluded to in his post above - I'd be very interested to know if this is the case on the Region A version. The soundtrack is intact in the version you can buy on Amazon Prime Video, and I'm happy to settle for the downgrade in image quality.
The region A is also missing this cue
Sloper wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:42 pm
Spoiler for the climax of Miller's Crossing here:
SpoilerShow
When Tom cocks the gun and starts walking towards Bernie, there's a slow build up of ominous music, climaxing very similarly to the earlier (corresponding) scene in the woods. In the Region B blu-ray, there's no music at all. It could be a revision requested by the Coens themselves for all I know, but I can't imagine why - the scene is much more effective with music.
SpoilerShow
So I didn't realize you meant no music at all in that scene which is unfortunately true on the region A blu as well. I've watched the film twice in the last year and each time explicitly remembered this scene feeling 'off' for this very reason and I gaslit myself into thinking maybe I had misremembered each time. I just popped it in again and sure enough, no music. I know the Coens toyed with Blood Simple for the better, but this choice is curious. Anyways, glad to know I'm not insane, and I'm spoilering this mini-rant so that newcomers to the film don't go into the climax waiting to be disappointed when the scene is profoundly effective regardless.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1441 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:19 pm

So what's the best release that has it the old way? And for that matter, what's the best release of Blood Simple pre-director's cut?

therewillbeblus

#1442 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:32 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:19 pm
So what's the best release that has it the old way? And for that matter, what's the best release of Blood Simple pre-director's cut?
For Blood Simple I'm pretty sure it was a VHS before the Coens got the rights back. I recall seeing that version a few times as a kid, once on TV, and I only remember it because the transition cue to Neil Diamond's I'm a Believer playing over the end credits was so jarring and felt so wrong. Even as a star-eyed kid having the opportunity to see these films many years before my peers, willing to bow down to these Coens as gods that were blowing my mind, I was stumped at what they were thinking. I caught the same version a few years later when showing a friend, but didn't notice any differences in the cuts, just the music cue at the end again and it played even worse.

As for Miller's Crossing, I'm pretty sure past DVD versions had the music cue, but I know the VHS I watched growing up did. I can't seem to find this change documented on the internet, while Blood Simple's is disclosed transparently.

Mr Sausage

Feihong presents: a vote

#1443 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:27 am

Feihong, as member of the year, has kindly curated this round of voting.

knives

Re: Feihong presents: a vote

#1444 Post by knives » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:34 am

I’m assuming that’s the Cox Walker?

therewillbeblus

#1445 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:41 am

I'm assuming the Żuławski Possession too?

feihong

#1446 Post by feihong » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:35 pm

Yes to both.

Mr Sausage

#1447 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:49 pm

I edited the poll to hopefully make it more clear.

Mr Sausage

Vote for Imamura

#1448 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:31 am

In all the years running this thing I’ve never actually curated a vote. So here are five of Imamura’s narrative films that have for one reason or another had a real effect on me.

If you’re curious, I excluded the documentary work because it seems better discussed in toto.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Vote for Imamura

#1449 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:59 pm

Is there any adequate subbed release of Eejanaika? I'm voting for it because it is less well-known yet very fascinating -- and is set in the same local as Pigs and Battleships (100 or so years earlier) and also involved the USA's impact.

Mr Sausage

Re: Vote for Imamura

#1450 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:13 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Is there any adequate subbed release of Eejanaika? I'm voting for it because it is less well-known yet very fascinating -- and is set in the same local as Pigs and Battleships (100 or so years earlier) and also involved the USA's impact.
I think it’s on the Criterion channel, tho’ someone else will have to confirm. I saw it on an old, imported non-anamorphic DVD from the library. Un-ideal, but better than nothing. I put it up because I’m curious what others have to say about this strange and marvellous film.