The Deeper You Dig

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

The Deeper You Dig

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:45 pm

Themes of family, loss and survival intersect on the thin line that separates the living from the dead in The Deeper You Dig, the latest feature written, directed by and starring filmmaking family the Adams Family (Knuckle Jack, Rumblestrips) – described as “a force to be reckoned with” (Dread Central) and “the multi-hyphenates other multi-hyphenates hope to be when they grow up” (Nightmare on Film Street).

Bogus tarot card reader Ivy (Toby Poser) and her teenage daughter Echo (Zelda Adams) are an unconventional but loving mother/daughter team. But when reclusive Kurt (John Adams) moves in down the road, a tragic accident results in Echo’s murder, causing three lives to collide in mysterious and wicked ways. Kurt believes he can hide his secret beneath the earth – but Echo, refusing to accept death, burrows into his head until he can feel her in his bones. As she haunts his every move, trying to reach her mother from beyond, Ivy must dig deep to see the signs and prove that love won’t stay buried.

A dark, unsettling meditation on grief, survival and the brittle barrier that separates the living from the dead, this limited double-disc edition pairs The Deeper You Dig with John Adams’ earlier feature The Hatred, making for a compelling double bill of original, independent horror.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS - Exclusive two-disc set containing The Deeper You Dig (2019) and The Hatred (2018)
  • Reversible sleeve featuring two exclusive choices of artwork
  • Limited edition illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Neil Mitchell
DISC ONE – THE DEEPER YOU DIG
  • High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentation
  • Original lossless PCM 2.0 stereo soundtrack
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by writers/directors/stars Toby Poser and John Adams
  • At Home with the Adams Family, an exclusive, in-depth interview with the trio of filmmakers responsible for The Deeper You Dig
  • It’s in the Blood: The Family in the Horror Genre, an exclusive visual essay by critic Anton Bitel exploring the theme of family in The Deeper You Dig and the Adams Family’s broader filmography
  • Special effects breakdown with commentary by Trey Lindsay
  • FrightFest TV interview with the Adams Family
  • Hellbender music videos
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Image gallery
DISC TWO – THE HATRED
  • High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentation
  • Original lossless PCM 2.0 stereo soundtrack
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Kid Kalifornia music videos

zedz

Re: The Deeper You Dig

#2 Post by zedz » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:04 pm

This no-budget glorified home movie was surprisingly great! Creepy, thoughtful and creative. I think the key (for this and a lot of other no-budget films) to success was a clear-eyed assessment of what they could achieve well with their available resources (e.g. snow gives great production value, and it's free!) and tailoring a film around it.

The second film on this disc is even more ambitious - a no-budget 19th-century zombie film - if less successful. Notably, the larger cast extends beyond the immediate family (who all seem to be decent actors) and is thus the acting is rather more uneven. But it still has the same virtues of economy and tactical smarts.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:21 am

zedz wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:04 pm
This no-budget glorified home movie was surprisingly great! Creepy, thoughtful and creative. I think the key (for this and a lot of other no-budget films) to success was a clear-eyed assessment of what they could achieve well with their available resources (e.g. snow gives great production value, and it's free!) and tailoring a film around it.
Did you ever watch the music videos included on this release? Because I found them a pleasant surprise. Kid Kalifornia (on the Hatred disc) is the dad's band, and the whole family's in them. They have a similar aesthetic to the full-length films and it really works in this form. Hellbender (on the Deeper disc) is the daughter's band, and I see the family actually just debuted a new film by the same name earlier this week at a film festival

Mel

#4 Post by Mel » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:29 am

This was a great package. I found it highly inspiring to see this family making movies and music together. They seems to have so much fun doing it. I think the second feature on disk two, The Hatred, is even better. Some very beautiful shots are to be seen there.