The Rainer Werner Fassbinder Collection

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: The Rainer Werner Fassbinder Collection

#201 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:21 pm

Looks like the new Vol. 1 is already almost sold out?

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#202 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:54 pm

Does anyone know why Arrow weren't able/allowed to add Martha and In the Year of 13 Moons to these re-releases? They are both available in the below French boxsets from Gaumont. To add Tenderness of the Wolves to the new set seemed pretty weird to me as he's only acting in it, and it has nothing in common with Fassbinder's films, other than it using some of his crew.

In addition, the French boxes also have two films from the the BRD trilogy, and they even add Fassbinders excerpt from Germany in Autumn.

French Vol. 1: https://www.amazon.fr/Rainer-Werner-Fas ... 07985BXHH/
French Vol. 2: https://www.amazon.fr/Rainer-Werner-Fas ... 0798GS5LP/

Calvin

#203 Post by Calvin » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:42 pm

I think they're both with Studio Canal, who I don't think Arrow have ever licensed from.

Finch

#204 Post by Finch » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:23 pm

The specs for the Vol 2 set say HD transfers of all films prepared by the Rainer Werner Fassbinder Foundation. Are those in 4k though? Criterion's Fear Eats The Soul BD was sourced from a 4k transfer. It'd be curious for Arrow to omit that detail unless of course it's an oversight.

Glowingwabbit

#205 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:05 pm

Finch wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:23 pm
The specs for the Vol 2 set say HD transfers of all films prepared by the Rainer Werner Fassbinder Foundation. Are those in 4k though? Criterion's Fear Eats The Soul BD was sourced from a 4k transfer. It'd be curious for Arrow to omit that detail unless of course it's an oversight.
Vol 1 and 2 are identical discs from the original boxset so yes they are 4K restorations presented in HD (1080). When the set originally came out it was worth highlighting the new 4k restorations, but now that they are reprinting them years later it's not something "new" to highlight.

Finch

#206 Post by Finch » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:52 pm

Thank you! I hadn't followed the original releases so that is good to know.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#207 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:40 am

swo17 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:21 pm
Are people that have been reporting that Arrow is unresponsive contacting them via the messaging system on their website? Because they've always gotten back to me within a day or two of using that. In any case, I asked them the question above over the weekend as I have an outstanding order for this set, and just received back this reply:
I’m sorry that this hasn’t been sent to you yet as this is currently out of stock. We expect new stock to arrive around the next week or 2.

kekid

#208 Post by kekid » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:16 pm

I had ordered this item from Arrow using their old system. It does not show on their current system. I sent them a message asking when I should expect this, since it does not show on their system. They asked me for the order number. I wrote to them that I am not in the habit of writing down order numbers when I place orders. That is what their system is supposed to do. I sent them a copy of the Paypal transaction that shows the amount sent to them on a specific date. I have not heard from them since (it has been several days). I think the Arrow system transition was a disaster, and their customer service dealing with that disaster has been poor. Now I no longer order anything directly from them.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#209 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:44 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:40 am
swo17 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:21 pm
Are people that have been reporting that Arrow is unresponsive contacting them via the messaging system on their website? Because they've always gotten back to me within a day or two of using that. In any case, I asked them the question above over the weekend as I have an outstanding order for this set, and just received back this reply:
I’m sorry that this hasn’t been sent to you yet as this is currently out of stock. We expect new stock to arrive around the next week or 2.
More recent update:
Thank you so much for purchasing our Rainer Werner Fassbinder Collection Volume 1 – Limited Edition set.

Unfortunately, we’ve had stock transfer issues, which means we’re slightly behind schedule in shipping your set out. We have further stock on the way as soon as possible and all outstanding orders are due to ship week commencing 6th December.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#210 Post by swo17 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:10 pm

R0lf wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:37 pm
I like the artwork better for these sets but I wouldn’t trade out the original if it’s just going to be a paper slip like all the rest of the recent Arrow repacks.
It's in a hardbox, the spines for the individual cases are more lively than before, and the spine of the booklet misspells the director's name ](*,)

Gregor Samsa

#211 Post by Gregor Samsa » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:35 pm

Graham

#212 Post by Graham » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:58 am

kekid wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:16 pm
I had ordered this item from Arrow using their old system. It does not show on their current system. I sent them a message asking when I should expect this, since it does not show on their system. They asked me for the order number. I wrote to them that I am not in the habit of writing down order numbers when I place orders. That is what their system is supposed to do. I sent them a copy of the Paypal transaction that shows the amount sent to them on a specific date. I have not heard from them since (it has been several days). I think the Arrow system transition was a disaster, and their customer service dealing with that disaster has been poor. Now I no longer order anything directly from them.
I’m in the same boat, although I had the order number from the ‘don’t panic’ email they sent in mid-October. Yesterday, after finally getting to a point where customer service understood what I was chasing up, I was told the box is out of stock and that it’d be sent when it’s back in stock. What’s the point in pre-ordering from Arrow direct when two weeks after release they still can’t get it sent out?! Everywhere else has it in stock.

kekid

#213 Post by kekid » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:00 am

neilist wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:17 pm
Arrow's just shared an image on social media including vol 3...

'Gods Of The Plague'
'The American Soldier'
'The Niklashausen Journey'
'Rio Das Mortes'
'Mother Kusters Goes To Heaven'
'Fear Of Fear'
'Satan's Brew'
Is this confirmed? Any idea of the release date?
Would that be a bigger volume than 1 and 2?

DRW.mov

#214 Post by DRW.mov » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:26 am

kekid wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:00 am
neilist wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:17 pm
Arrow's just shared an image on social media including vol 3...

'Gods Of The Plague'
'The American Soldier'
'The Niklashausen Journey'
'Rio Das Mortes'
'Mother Kusters Goes To Heaven'
'Fear Of Fear'
'Satan's Brew'
Is this confirmed? Any idea of the release date?
Would that be a bigger volume than 1 and 2?
It’s confirmed, no street date yet though. Will be the same size as vol 1 and 2, ie four slim cases and a large book. Most films will be doubled up on discs.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#215 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:48 pm

swo17 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:10 pm
the spine of the booklet misspells the director's name ](*,)
Pleased to report that Vol. 2 gets his name right!

Glowingwabbit

#216 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:50 pm

swo17 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:48 pm
swo17 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:10 pm
the spine of the booklet misspells the director's name ](*,)
Pleased to report that Vol. 2 gets his name right!
Have you put the artwork on the front of both volumes side by side yet?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#217 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:21 pm

Oh, that's cool!

feihong

#218 Post by feihong » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:55 pm

Does anyone know, is it worth it to upgrade to these first two new sets from the original Arrow BD set? Are these the same transfers? I know on the original boxset people had an issue with the color grading on some titles, but I haven't been able to find anything about the quality of these new sets.

Vol 3 looks like a must for me, though.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#219 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:59 pm

I haven't really watched anything from Vols. 1-2 (though I had just barely watched most of the films the month before!) My understanding is that they're all the same transfers but I can make some comparisons of particular films if you want. Mostly the appeal would be the new packaging and having that be consistent with Vol. 3. There are also different essays from the original BD set, though I haven't gone through to make an assessment of which sets might be better overall in that respect.

feihong

#220 Post by feihong » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:57 pm

It sounds like it isn't worth the upgrade for me. I'm a little less discerning on this stuff as I get older––or maybe it's more accurate to say I'm a little more guarded with spending on these things. Pretty pleased I feel I can save the money on those first two volumes. I think picture quality would be the main thing that would cause me to upgrade, but if they're the same transfers, I'll be fine just keeping my original boxset.

kekid

#221 Post by kekid » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:13 pm

I don't know why they did not go straight to the third volume and release it in a similar format as the original box. To encourage people to spend money to re-buy the material in the first two boxes is financially wasteful and environmentally unfriendly. The aesthetic of seeing three similar-looking boxes sit next to each other is (at least for me) a poor reason to do it this way.

Glowingwabbit

#222 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:43 pm

kekid wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:13 pm
I don't know why they did not go straight to the third volume and release it in a similar format as the original box. To encourage people to spend money to re-buy the material in the first two boxes is financially wasteful and environmentally unfriendly. The aesthetic of seeing three similar-looking boxes sit next to each other is (at least for me) a poor reason to do it this way.
You have to remember that the original boxset came out 6 years ago and is out of print now. They didn't put these sets out for those of us that already have the original set (even though I ended up grabbing Vols 1 + 2 anyway because it's Fassbinder).

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#223 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:17 pm

senseabove

#224 Post by senseabove » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:33 pm

• High definition digital transfers of The American Soldier, Gods of the Plague, Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven and Satan’s Brew prepared by the Rainer Werner Fassbinder Foundation
I wonder what The Niklashausen Journey, Rio Das Mortes, and Fear of Fear are sourced from then... A real shame Fear of Fear didn't get the full restoration treatment.

depp91

#225 Post by depp91 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:08 am

senseabove wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:33 pm
• High definition digital transfers of The American Soldier, Gods of the Plague, Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven and Satan’s Brew prepared by the Rainer Werner Fassbinder Foundation
I wonder what The Niklashausen Journey, Rio Das Mortes, and Fear of Fear are sourced from then... A real shame Fear of Fear didn't get the full restoration treatment.
The press statement also says: "High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of The American Soldier, Gods of the Plague, Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven and Satan’s Brew"
So I guess the other three will be presented in SD only?

I recently read an interview with R.W.F. from 1975 (it is included in the booklet of Vol. 2) which could offer an explanation:
Interviewer: Can't they [= your films made for TV] all be shown in theaters?
RWF: Two films were made by Ampex magnetic band.
Interviewer: Isn't that video?
RWF: Yes, the same but more perfect.

So could it be that The Niklashausen Journey, Rio Das Mortes and Fear Of Fear were made on video? This is just pure speculation on my part but it could offer an explanation why these weren't restored in HD.