The Conformist

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Cold Bishop

#76 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon May 12, 2008 1:33 am

Perhaps very little interest for others, but after looking for what seems like ages, I've finally found a trailer. Any ideas as to where the source is from?

Person

#77 Post by Person » Mon May 12, 2008 8:29 am

Cold Bishop wrote:Perhaps very little interest for others, but after looking for what seems like ages, I've finally found a trailer. Any ideas as to where the source is from?
Wasn't there a Japanese DVD years ago that went OOP very quickly? The user is from Japan. I'll ask him about it.

Tim

#78 Post by Tim » Mon May 12, 2008 8:48 am

I'm assuming that there will be a bfi release before long, given that it's had an extended run at the National Film Theatre and is now touring nationwide.

foggy eyes

#79 Post by foggy eyes » Mon May 12, 2008 11:37 am

Tim wrote:I'm assuming that there will be a bfi release before long, given that it's had an extended run at the National Film Theatre and is now touring nationwide.
Not necessarily, as the BFI don't put out everything they tour on DVD (for example, they're also touring Some Came Running, Jules et Jim and a host of David Leans at the moment). But, seeing as nobody else has released the film over here yet, it is a possibility.

Person

#80 Post by Person » Mon May 12, 2008 12:06 pm

Tim wrote:I'm assuming that there will be a bfi release before long, given that it's had an extended run at the National Film Theatre and is now touring nationwide.
No, the BFI are simply handling the distribution of the film in Britain. The don't own theatrical rights or home video rights. I'm surprised that Paramount haven't released a UK edition of the fil yet, though - with white subtitles (as opposed to R1's yellow subs), as they usually do with R2 PAL editions.. But don't expect a BFI edition of The Conformist. If it happened, it would be great, but I can't see it happening.

psufootball07

#82 Post by psufootball07 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:10 pm

For someone who's only seen, but really enjoyed Last Tango in Paris, The Last Emperor and The Dreamers would you suggest purchasing/watching The Conformist or the Criterion release of La Commare Secca first? They both sound interesting, but I have heard far more about The Conformist than Commare Secca.

Michael

#83 Post by Michael » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:41 pm

psufootball07 wrote:For someone who's only seen, but really enjoyed Last Tango in Paris, The Last Emperor and The Dreamers would you suggest purchasing/watching The Conformist or the Criterion release of La Commare Secca first? They both sound interesting, but I have heard far more about The Conformist than Commare Secca.
Doesn't this thread do enough to convince you to pick up The Conformist?

Cinephrenic

#84 Post by Cinephrenic » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:38 pm

By many scholars, this is his masterpiece. Just watch it!

Daniel tamarán

Re: The Conformist (Bertolucci, 1970)

#85 Post by Daniel tamarán » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Hi. Sorry for revive this topic. I only wanted to share the finish track. I came here because I was looking for this song and I read some of you were looking for this song too. And now I have found it and share:

Trio Lescano - Come l'Ombra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCS86b0UoZ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see you.

ellipsis7

#86 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:26 am

Also of current interest is the just published BFI Film Classic Il Conformista (The Conformist) by Chris Wagstaff...

tojoed

#87 Post by tojoed » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:42 am

George Delerue's original soundtrack is available again on CD.
It contains 15 minutes of music never previously released and is supposedly in a
limited edition of 1000. If you love this film you'll want to be one of them.

Ribs

#88 Post by Ribs » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:03 am

Kino is listing a 4K restoration coming soon to theaters on their website. One assumes in the fullness of time they will be putting out a matching disc.

dwk

Re: The Conformist

#89 Post by dwk » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:29 am

I think Kino is just handling distribution for Raro and has no say in the possibility of a new Blu-ray or UHD. That is strictly up to Raro.

ianthemovie

#90 Post by ianthemovie » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:41 am

I wonder if there's any chance Radiance would be able to acquire this. I know Fran mentioned working on several Trintignant titles at the moment, and also referred to putting out a few films that already have Blu-ray releases but which could be improved upon. Raro's edition of The Conformist certainly leaves something to be desired. I hope the next edition to come out is an improvement, whoever ends up doing it.

Calvin

#91 Post by Calvin » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:58 am

This is getting a UHD release in Japan in March and the producer of the release has done an interesting blog post about the restoration. They'll be re-doing the colour grade and presenting it in SDR, so pretty much doing what Kino did for the Dollars Trilogy

MichaelB

#92 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:08 am

Did you see the restoration when you were in Bologna? I caught the final screening.

Calvin

#93 Post by Calvin » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:30 am

MichaelB wrote:Did you see the restoration when you were in Bologna? I caught the final screening.
I saw the outdoor premiere screening. While there were certainly scenes (such as the dance hall) with warmer colours than I remembered seeing previously, I didn't come away thinking they'd tinted the whole thing yellow.

How did it look indoors?

MichaelB

#94 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:07 am

Nothing that struck me as being out of the ordinary, and I've seen the film loads of times (including 35mm screenings in the 1980).

And I certainly agree that they hadn't tinted the whole thing yellow - and with this film I suspect it would have been fairly obvious.

ianthemovie

#95 Post by ianthemovie » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:43 pm

I had posted a link to this trailer for the restoration a while back in another thread; does the color palette here resemble what folks saw in Bologna? To my (admittedly untrained) eye it looks quite yellow and brown. I hope you're right, Michael and Calvin, and that it does not actually look like this.

_shadow_

#96 Post by _shadow_ » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:07 pm

Kino actually posted the same trailer - one with the correct colors and one with Rittrovata's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H29gXvI0fVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04kMeEjVGIk

bad future

#97 Post by bad future » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:06 pm

Hmmm, the one without the Ritrovata yellow says it was posted 2 years ago, while the yellow one says a month ago; aside from color, trailers mostly identical except only the latter references the restoration being in 4k. I still hope the newer trailer doesn't end up being representative of the eventual home release.

ianthemovie

#98 Post by ianthemovie » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:48 am

Right, that first link/trailer is described as being for the 2014 restoration, which looks to be the same one that was used on the Raro Blu-ray also released that year. Second link/trailer is for the new 4K restoration, hence why I'm worried.

Rupert Pupkin

#99 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:42 am

I have seen the trailer for the 4K restoration and I'm a bit concern to say the least. I started with the Paramount DVD release (and I bought the Raro Blu-Ray despite the average PQ note); the DVD was partially censored I think (the scene in the train; some nudity);
basically we lost the blue tint in the train, in the ballroom dancing scene, and in the forrest the color are yellowish through all the movie.
Whilst it works for some indoor scene; the famous scene with Dominque Sanda's first appearance has some incredible architecture : white and black tint; which are yellowish.
I understand that maybe the old master was a bit too blue (that's not Eyes Wide Shut, but I remember some scenes of The Last Tango in Paris looks like this); but attenuate that much all blue tint seems to me like an unbalanced color grading for a movie like that which was innovative with the use of color which was intentionally surnatural in some particular scenes.

andyli

#100 Post by andyli » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:45 pm

Raro is handling the US release of the 4k restoration on blu-ray. Presumably Radiance with help them put out the UK version. No 4k blu-ray in sight, and interestingly, they opted for a second disc containing the original 2011 HD master.