The Woody Allen Collections

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

FrauBlucher

Re: The Woody Allen Collections

#101 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:49 am

Of course, why didn't I think of that. Which could be a good sign for other Allen films. Maybe 4ks for Crimes, Hannah and Bullets for the next box set. But do we know if Arrow is using the 4K of Manhattan?

MichaelB

#102 Post by MichaelB » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:04 am

FrauBlucher wrote:But do we know if Arrow is using the 4K of Manhattan?
I thought that there was a pretty fundamental forum rule that people should make a sincere attempt to find out if a question has been answered already before asking it again in the very same thread where it has already been answered three times?

Ribs

#103 Post by Ribs » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:05 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Of course, why didn't I think of that. Which could be a good sign for other Allen films. Maybe 4ks for Crimes, Hannah and Bullets for the next box set. But do we know if Arrow is using the 4K of Manhattan?
They're not. Also, Bullets will not be included in the new set. Arrow have been totally up-front about these releases; it will be the next seven films, with their most current master (which is the same as any extant release). This is the final set of this sort Arrow will be releasing.

It's also possibly worth bearing in mind that Cafe Society was Allen's first in about a decade to not use Sony Pictures Classics, instead taking a bigger payout from Amazon. So I don't know how his relationship with Sony might be (unless they just agree business is business, which I guess is a possibility)

What A Disgrace

#104 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:55 am

The retail price for this one is much lower than that for the first collection.

FrauBlucher

#105 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:00 am

MichaelB wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:But do we know if Arrow is using the 4K of Manhattan?
I thought that there was a pretty fundamental forum rule that people should make a sincere attempt to find out if a question has been answered already before asking it again in the very same thread where it has already been answered three times?
So you choose to answer this post but not the one I compliment you on. I get it. :-#

Ribs

#106 Post by Ribs » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:35 am

What A Disgrace wrote:The retail price for this one is much lower than that for the first collection.
Okay, I'll ask: What do you mean by this? AFAICT they both are listed at the same cost.

(The final set will probably be another £5-10 on the basis of another film being included, though)

What A Disgrace

#107 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:39 am

The first retails for £99.99, and the second for £69.99.

perkizitore

#108 Post by perkizitore » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:14 am

The Arrow store price is a joke, only a 10 pound discount off the RRP? ](*,)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#109 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:26 am

perkizitore wrote:The Arrow store price is a joke, only a 10 pound discount off the RRP? ](*,)
I think they simply matched the Arrow store price of the 1st booklet, without taking into account the lower MSRP. On the other end, the 1st set MSRP seems ludicrous to me.

What A Disgrace

#110 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:53 am

tenia wrote:
perkizitore wrote:The Arrow store price is a joke, only a 10 pound discount off the RRP? ](*,)
I think they simply matched the Arrow store price of the 1st booklet, without taking into account the lower MSRP. On the other end, the 1st set MSRP seems ludicrous to me.
Its slightly less than the price of all six individual discs' MSRP, so while ludicrous its hardly unprecedented. On the other hand, with the big discount on their site and on Amazon (its over half off!), it seems the 69.99 of the second set is something of an 'phantom' MSRP for the first.

frankiecrisp

#111 Post by frankiecrisp » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:50 am

I'm still amazed this is still rated 18 seen it many times and there is nothing in it to rate it above PG .

MichaelB

#112 Post by MichaelB » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:21 am

frankiecrisp wrote:I'm still amazed this is still rated 18 seen it many times and there is nothing in it to rate it above PG .
There's no way in a gazillion years that it would get a PG. Can you name a PG film featuring a comedic treatment of bestiality, complete with a shot of the beast in question on a bed in sexy underclothes?

I daresay it might get a 15 today, but there didn't seem to be much point resubmitting it to the BBFC because if they decided that it still deserved an 18 (a verdict that they last reached in 2000), that would effectively mean that Arrow had wasted several hundred pounds that could more profitably have been spent on other things. And they weren't anticipating too many under-18s being interested in this set.

Ribs

#113 Post by Ribs » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:45 pm

Blu-ray.com reviewing the set

Disappointingly the reviewer seems not to have been informed that the set has a book with it? He seems to think there's supposed to be some basic liner notes on each release and also says that Arrow didn't send Annie Hall "for some reason" (which is obvious to anyone who's followed this thread, anyway). This is also not mentioning in the case of Love and Death he (self-confessed) gave it a lower score than the TT even though it's a technically superior transfer.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#114 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:20 am

Ribs wrote:Disappointingly the reviewer seems not to have been informed that the set has a book with it? He seems to think there's supposed to be some basic liner notes on each release

He should have had a look at least to know there is a book coming with the set, but since he simply didn't receive any PDF copy of the printed material, I guess he also can't know the exact content either.
Ribs wrote:This is also not mentioning in the case of Love and Death he (self-confessed) gave it a lower score than the TT even though it's a technically superior transfer.
These transfers are clearly dated, and they shouldn't score lower than in the past. The 4.0 for Love & Death always seemed too high to me anyway. I much prefer a reviewer admitting he might have been too generous than camping on wrong opinions. This being written, he could also have gone back and update the score of the US release...

MichaelB

#115 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:59 am

He absolutely should have been aware of the existence of the book - Arrow has been promoting it heavily as the set's major extra.

Why are reviewers so damn lazy? I always ask the label if something's missing from the review package that I'd normally expect - Steve Hills from Eureka had an email only the other day about the Paths of Glory booklet, and sent me a PDF by return.

Ribs

#116 Post by Ribs » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:05 am

Isn't it weird for him to review the entire box set despite not having the disc for Annie Hall, especially if he hasn't been told why he didn't receive Annie Hall? It's not that it's weird for Arrow to have sent him the disc(s), but rather that it seems strange he's making a judgment call about a set he doesn't have all of!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#117 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:38 am

I was also wondering why this part is ignorant of the content and asked on blu-ray.com's thread about it but didn't have any answer (yet ?).

From my own experience, since Arrow is using Fetch for their PR, they don't send *.pdf of the printed material systematically. I had to ask to get the booklets for The Blue Dahlia, The Glass Key and The Bloodstained Butterfly for instance (and they managed to send me 2 of these... plus Matinee's one which I didn't ask).

Marc used to include them systematically with his PR so you couldn't miss them. And still : even with these, many reviewers simply wouldn't review the printed content anymore. Can you imagine if you're not sent them directly ? It's even worse.

Back to some reviewers, I think it's just that they expect the label to give them all they need for them to provide a comprehensive review. And you know, in some respect, I agree with them : owning the communication to customers is often doing it properly (and first). If the label doesn't send you what could be an important part of the package, it's the label's fault, not the reviewer's one.

However, I'm a customer first myself and I can't stand an approximative review. If a reviewer doesn't do its research, his review won't be fair, or exact, or comprehensive, or up-to-date and it's just not customer-minded.
I'm not doing reviews for myself, or to show what I get and what I don't. If I'm not told something... I go and have a look by myself. Otherwise, it just means I've published an half-assed review which will be useless for customers/readers.

I want my reviews to be useful for customers. But for this, I indeed often have to ask stuff to labels, or have a look around, or ask other people, and it's true that it'd be much better if the labels would just send directly these informations to reviewers, especially if they're a core element of the package.

So in the present case, the question would be : knowing that the 100-page book is the only extra feature included in the set, and that specific printed material about Woody Allen is very rare, why Arrow didn't provide directly an electronic copy to reviewers ?

This being written, I'm quite sure that it has been explicitly stated in the PR that the set was coming with a 100-pages book, so there's no excuse there.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#118 Post by cdnchris » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:44 am

Oh good, I'm not crazy. I remember the booklets being sent as PDFs previously, so was mystified when I couldn't find them for Matinee and The Human Condition, and had sworn they had actually been sent in e-mails. I received them recently but still have to make updates. And now I'm going to have to track down The Glass Key and Blue Dahlia as well.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#119 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:57 am

In some cases, it's not so much of a problem to me because I'll buy the releases anyway, so I'll have everything (only I need to actually get it, so I might be stuck because of whatever thing can be holding my order being dispatched). But otherwise, yeah, I had to ask them specifically. I've been told though that they're looking for a way to make them available more easily, maybe like having a Dropbox or something (or at least it sounded that way).

bugsy_pal

#120 Post by bugsy_pal » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Hey, got my Woody set from Arrow yesterday, in pristine condition. I like the fact that they used the slimmer clear cases. The book looks very informative. Haven't watch any of the films yet but i assume they'll be more or less identical to the already released MGM and TT versions.

But hats off to Arrow for doing something a bit more special with these films. It's a lovely set.

Ribs

#121 Post by Ribs » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:46 pm

This is a total aside and might be better-suited to the packaging thread, but a week or two after getting this set I don't understand at all the decision to give Bananas a yellow spine. I don't have that side facing out of course but it looks thoroughly odd. Weirder still is why Everything You Always Wanted... is given a blue spine when its poster as used on the cover would totally suit the white-out design of the rest of the set (is there a chance it was originally designed for the poster with a blue border, and got changed late in the day?) The second set should be entirely white on the side assuming they're all using their most famous posters of the two we don't know about, and the third set will probably opt for some white/black design to accommodate Radio Days, Another Woman, & Alice.

This has been a pointless rant they can't do anything to fix now but I just wanted to express I think the set(s) would look better if all the spines did the white-out thing.

chatterjees

#122 Post by chatterjees » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:44 pm

I received my box yesterday from amazon (still hoping that one day amazon will learn how to package a box set making it able to withstand the bumpy overseas trip), and was really surprised to not even find an Arrow Academy logo on the Annie Hall disc. So, this is just the previously released MGM disc in Arrow's casing?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#123 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:51 pm

Yes, as contractually required.

MichaelB

#124 Post by MichaelB » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:01 am

Ribs wrote:This is a total aside and might be better-suited to the packaging thread, but a week or two after getting this set I don't understand at all the decision to give Bananas a yellow spine. I don't have that side facing out of course but it looks thoroughly odd. Weirder still is why Everything You Always Wanted... is given a blue spine when its poster as used on the cover would totally suit the white-out design of the rest of the set (is there a chance it was originally designed for the poster with a blue border, and got changed late in the day?) The second set should be entirely white on the side assuming they're all using their most famous posters of the two we don't know about, and the third set will probably opt for some white/black design to accommodate Radio Days, Another Woman, & Alice.

This has been a pointless rant they can't do anything to fix now but I just wanted to express I think the set(s) would look better if all the spines did the white-out thing.
All artwork is per Woody Allen's personal stipulation, mandated by Arrow's contract.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#125 Post by tenia » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:24 am

I guess that's why there are such people as Designers to, well, do the designs.