Deep Red

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Morbii

Deep Red

#1 Post by Morbii » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:02 pm

YOU WILL NEVER FORGET IT!!!
From Dario Argento, maestro of the macabre and the man behind some the greatest excursions in Italian horror (Suspiria, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage), comes Deep Red – arguably the ultimate giallo movie.

One night, musician Marcus Daly (David Hemmings, Blow Up), looking up from the street below, witnesses the brutal axe murder of a woman in her apartment. Racing to the scene, Marcus just manages to miss the perpetrator… or does he? As he takes on the role of amateur sleuth, Marcus finds himself ensnared in a bizarre web of murder and mystery where nothing is what it seems…

Aided by a throbbing score from regular Argento-collaborators Goblin, Deep Red (aka Profondo Rossoand The Hatchet Murders) is a hallucinatory fever dream of a giallo punctuated by some of the most astonishing set-pieces the sub-genre has to offer.

2-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of two versions of the film
  • Original Italian soundtrack in lossless DTS-HD MA mono 1.0
  • Optional surround sound remix of the Italian soundtrack in lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1
  • Original English soundtrack in lossless DTS-HA MA mono 1.0*
  • English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
  • 6 postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
  • Reversible fold-out poster featuring two original artworks
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
  • Limited Edition booklet featuring new writing on the film by Mikel J. Koven, author of La Dolce Morte: Vernacular Cinema and the Italian Giallo Film, and an archival essay by Alan Jones, illustrated with original archive stills

DEEP RED: ORIGINAL VERSION (BLU-RAY DISC 1)
  • Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative
  • Audio commentary by filmmaker and Argento expert Thomas Rostock
  • Introduction to the film by Claudio Simonetti of Goblin
  • Profondo Giallo, a new visual essay by Michael Mackenzie featuring an in-depth appreciation of Deep Red, its themes and its legacy
  • Rosso Recollections: Dario Argento’s Deep Genius – the Deep Red director on the creation of a giallo masterpiece
  • The Lady in Red: Daria Nicolodi Remembers Profondo Rosso
  • Music to Murder For! Claudio Simonetti on Deep Red
  • Profondo Rosso: From Celluloid to Shop – a tour of the Profondo Rosso shop in Rome with long time Argento collaborator Luigi Cozzi
  • Italian theatrical trailer
DEEP RED: EXPORT VERSION (BLU-RAY DISC 2) [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
  • Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative
  • US theatrical trailer
The English audio track on the original, longer cut has some portions of English audio missing. English audio for these sections was either never recorded or has been lost. As such, these sequences are presented with Italian audio, subtitled in English.

MichaelB

Re: Deep Red

#2 Post by MichaelB » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:50 am

Morbii wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:02 pm
I apologize if there was already a thread for this title, but I could not find it.

I have the Blue Underground Blu-ray for Deep Red, but I found it to have a lot of compression artifacts that were pretty distracting.

I am guessing the Arrow does not have this (isn't mentioned on beaver), but does anyone have it that can confirm?

Also, presumably the non-limited edition arrow has the same transfer as the limited edition one did?
The Arrow is sourced from a (then) brand new restoration, and was encoded by David Mackenzie, which should answer your question.

And yes, the non-limited edition contains exactly the same Disc 1 that was in the limited edition - you just miss out on Disc 2 with the shorter international cut.

Morbii

#3 Post by Morbii » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:49 am

Thanks, Michael.

At this point, I think I may have reached a quintuple-dip!

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#4 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:26 am

Finch

#5 Post by Finch » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:57 pm

_shadow_

#6 Post by _shadow_ » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:16 pm

Oddly, most of those comparisons on DVD Beaver are from the original Arrow BD and not the remaster, which makes them rather less helpful. I believe only the last three are from the remaster...

Finch

#7 Post by Finch » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:42 am

4k vs remastered BD on caps a holic

Those reds are just stunning. Imagine seeing Cries and Whispers and Twin Peaks in 4k!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#8 Post by tenia » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:17 pm

As usual, I'd be extremely careful about assessing colors of a Dolby Vision UHD based on downconverted SDR caps.

_shadow_

#9 Post by _shadow_ » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:16 pm

Since this transfer isn't getting a standard BD release, it's the best we've got for reference. It's a more nuanced upgrade from the de-Ritrovata'd Ritrovata version, in comparison to the quantum leap that was from the first BD that was a haze of scanner noise, but still a definite improvement.

_shadow_

#10 Post by _shadow_ » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:46 am

The framing seems pretty similar in all the caps except #14, where it's notably different - shifted down and to the left, so gaining more image there and losing at the top/right. This vertical shift does unveil a hair in the gate at the bottom of the frame - I wonder if this was an adjustment specific to this shot?

_shadow_

#11 Post by _shadow_ » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:36 am

The new UHD master has some very noticeable artifacts in the shadow of the knife in the opening shot - it has a blurred trail that almost appears as a slow-motion effect. The appearance is the same in both the director's and international cuts on separate discs, which makes sense as the international cut was edited from the director's cut master.

This is definitely not present in any other version of the film, from VHS to Arrow's most recent BD, which came from a different 4K remaster.

The issue doesn't seem to manifest noticeably elsewhere in the film, but it's quite distracting in the one shot, given that it is the focal point of the viewer's attention.

I'm curious if this issue only presents with certain players?