I See You

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

I See You

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:34 am

EVIL HIDES IN PLAIN SIGHT.

Up-and-coming British director Adam Randall (iBoy) returns with his new twist-heavy thriller I See You, described by the Hollywood Reporter as “a finely crafted exercise in slow-burn suspense”.

Behind the seemingly perfect Harper household, Greg (Jon Tenney, True Detective), the lead investigator of a child abduction case, is struggling to come to terms with the recent infidelity of his wife Jackie (Academy Award® winner Helen Hunt, As Good As It Gets). The already strained family harmony is further threatened when Connor (Judah Lewis, The Babysitter), their son, appears to be the victim of a mysterious malevolent presence in their house. As the secrets start to unravel, the plot threads prove to be more interlinked than it would appear at first glance.

Packed with audacious plot twists, beautifully orchestrated narrative flips and an outstanding lead performance by Helen Hunt, I See You is an eerie gem, where nothing is as it seems and the terrible truth behind a family's dark secrets might just be hiding in plain sight.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
  • Original DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Brand new commentary by director Adam Randall and producer Matt Waldeck, recorded exclusively for this release
  • The Making of ‘I See You’, a featurette interviewing cast and crew - Additional on-set interviews with Adam Randall and Helen Hunt, and behind-the-scenes footage
  • Trailer
  • Image gallery
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors' booklet featuring new writing on the film by Anton Bitel

John Cope

Re: I See You

#2 Post by John Cope » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:58 pm

Wow. Wow. Wow. This was shockingly good, even genuinely great. I was amazed by it as I didn't expect much going in. Coming out, I wondered why and how something this impressive could have gone so unremarked upon. Because, at the risk of excessive hyperbole, this is one of those rare and special times when you get to see a masterpiece for which you could not have been prepared. So now I'm ruining it if you haven't seen it. But I'm also trying to provide a public service so this does not continue to go under the radar unacknowledged. Well, I won't go into much, which limits what I can say, but I will say that initially I wasn't particularly blown away. At first it seemed like we were angling for some pretty familiar territory and I kept saying under my breath, please, let this not be more dumb ghost shit. And that's what I thought it was going to be, that's what I thought we were getting in all its intricate detail. But suffice it to say that is not what this is, at least not in a conventional sense. And I say that in order to hopefully encourage some to continue as you may be inclined to dismiss this at first. But that would be a tremendous mistake. About halfway through a reveal occurs that recontextualizes everything quite brilliantly and also introduces an element of classism or class consciousness in a way no one could have expected. That's genuine and built upon but also put into contrast with another brilliantly executed late arriving twist, which is no twist for its own sake. At this point another astonishing thing is accomplished in which our sympathies shift and go utterly opposite to what they have been. More is introduced on top of this, one thing on top of another really, to complicate things that much more (when we discover who the Owen Teague character is, for instance, it serves to recontextualize the previous recontextualization which seems rather unprecedented to me). Picture ends then with a pitched frenzy of a climax built toward with such skill that it is arresting in a way we rarely ever see. And the final sequence drops out all natural sound for a superbly carried off denouement.

Credit must be given to all the participants but perhaps particularly to Helen Hunt who stays out of the picture's way in what amounts to a real supporting, gracious and generous anti star turn. Teague continues to impress in his part in this and confirm his position as one of our very finest young actors. Jon Tenney, meanwhile, channels some James Russo from Dangerous Game to startling effect. Picture also has some nice allusions to Lynch ("Cole Gordon", a Chalfont type trailer from Fire Walk With Me), as well as Philip Ridley's Passion of Darkly Noon (the Chalfont trailer again, situated as it is in the haunted or haunting woods) and even a reference to James Woods' final line from James B. Harris's Cop which may or may not have been intentional but has enormous resonance either way. On the basis of this one film I would follow director Adam Randall anywhere; I am currently seeking out his earlier pictures with some relish.