The Last Starfighter

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

The Last Starfighter

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:45 pm

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by Arrow Video to experience the 1984 sci-fi classic as you’ve never experienced it before! Directed by Nick Castle, the man behind the Michael Myers mask in the original Halloween, The Last Starfighter tells the story Alex Rogan (Lance Guest), an arcade game whizz-kid whose wildest dreams comes true when he finds himself enlisted to fight in an interstellar war.

Now newly restored from a 4K scan of the original negative and featuring a 4.1 mix originally created for the film’s 70mm release – never included on previous home video formats – The Last Starfighter arrives loaded with brand new and archival bonus features. Strap yourself in: the Blu-ray adventure of a lifetime is about to begin!

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original 35mm camera negative
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Uncompressed 2.0 stereo, 5.1 DTS-HD MA and 4.1 audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Brand new audio commentary with Mike White of The Projection Booth podcast
  • Archival audio commentary with director Nick Castle and production designer Ron Cobb
  • Heroes of the Screen – archival featurette
  • Crossing the Frontier: The Making of The Last Starfighter – archival 4-part documentary
  • Image Galleries
  • Theatrical and Teaser Trailers
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Ferguson
PLUS MORE NEW EXTRAS TO BE ANNOUNCED!!!

FIRST PRESSING ONLY (GUARANTEED THROUGH PREORDERS)
  • Limited Edition O-Card
  • Limited Edition Reversible Poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
  • Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Amanda Reyes and sci-fi author Greg Bear’s never-before-published Omni magazine article on Digital Productions, the company responsible for the CGI in The Last Starfighter”

jazzo

Re: The Last Starfighter

#2 Post by jazzo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:54 pm

Recently pulled the old DVD off the shelf to show my kids, and can absolutely confirm that the warm and fuzzy feelings children of the 70's/80's like myself have towards this thing evaporate immediately once the story leaves Earth. It's fucking terrible.

Adam X

#3 Post by Adam X » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:45 am

I didn't feel anywhere near as negatively about it when I watched this again a few years back, but what I didn't remember was all the early use of CGI. I could swear I remember actual models used. That was weird.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#4 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:47 pm

I just happen to be watching this guy's youtube video about his top 25 sci fi movies, and this is on there. Although his description doesn't make me want to see it!

Adam X

#5 Post by Adam X » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:56 am

Unless you’re really into 1980’s Spielbergian SF, I’m not entirely sure it’d be that enjoyable if you didn’t grow up watching it.

L.A.

#6 Post by L.A. » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:33 am

zedz

#7 Post by zedz » Sun May 16, 2021 5:41 pm

This was lamer than lame. The only possible excuse for watching this pap would be mindless nostalgia, but since I never saw it growing up, I didn't even have that dubious excuse. The atrocious CGI was the only interesting aspect. I couldn't get my head around anybody on the film thinking that was preferable to $50 worth of spray-painted polystyrene.

yoloswegmaster

#8 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:27 pm