Dune

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Dune

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri May 28, 2021 10:27 am

A PLACE BEYOND YOUR DREAMS.

A MOVIE BEYOND YOUR IMAGINATION.

Following a notorious aborted attempt by Alejandro Jodorowsky in the 1970s, Frank Herbert’s bestselling sci-fi epic Dune finally made it to the big screen as the third film by emerging surrealist wunderkind David Lynch, featuring an all-star cast that includes several of Lynch’s regular collaborators.

The year is 10,191, and four planets are embroiled in a secret plot to wrest control of the Spice Melange, the most precious substance in the universe and found only on the planet Arrakis. A feud between two powerful dynasties, House Atreides and House Harkonnen, is manipulated from afar by ruling powers that conspire to keep their grip on the spice. As the two families clash on Arrakis, Duke Atreides’ son Paul (Kyle MacLachlan, in his screen debut) finds himself at the centre of an intergalactic war and an ancient prophecy that could change the galaxy forever.

Though its initial reception ensured that Lynch largely eschewed mainstream filmmaking for the rest of his career, Dune has since been rightly re-evaluated as one of the most startlingly original and visionary science fiction films of the 1980s. Its astonishing production design and visual effects can now be appreciated anew in this spellbinding 4K restoration, accompanied by hours of comprehensive bonus features.

LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY CONTENTS
  • Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative
  • 60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by Andrew Nette, Christian McCrea and Charlie Brigden, an American Cinematographer interview with sound designer Alan Splet from 1984, excerpts from an interview with the director from Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch and a Dune Terminology glossary from the original release
  • Large fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor
  • Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
  • Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor
DISC ONE - FEATURE & EXTRAS
  • High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ presentation
  • Original uncompressed stereo audio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Brand new audio commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
  • Brand new audio commentary by Mike White of The Projection Booth podcast
  • Impressions of Dune, a 2003 documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with star Kyle MacLachlan, producer Raffaella de Laurentiis, cinematographer Freddie Francis, editor Antony Gibbs and many others
  • Designing Dune, a 2005 featurette looking back at the work of production designer Anthony Masters
  • Dune FX, a 2005 featurette exploring the special effects in the film
  • Dune Models & Miniatures, a 2005 featurette focusing on the model effects in the film
  • Dune Costumes, a 2005 featurette looking at the elaborate costume designs seen in the film
  • Eleven deleted scenes from the film, with a 2005 introduction by Raffaella de Laurentiis
  • Destination Dune, a 1983 featurette originally produced to promote the film at conventions and publicity events
  • Theatrical trailers and TV spots
  • Extensive image galleries, including hundreds of still photos
DISC TWO – BONUS DISC
  • The Sleeper Must Awaken: Making Dune, a brand new feature-length documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the making of the film, featuring dozens of new and archive interviews with cast and crew
  • Beyond Imagination: Merchandising Dune, a brand new featurette exploring the merchandise created to promote the film, featuring toy collector/producer Brian Sillman (The Toys That Made Us)
  • Prophecy Fulfilled: Scoring Dune, a brand new featurette on the film’s music score, featuring interviews with Toto guitarist Steve Lukather, Toto keyboardist Steve Porcaro, and film music historian Tim Greiving
  • Brand new interview with make-up effects artist Giannetto de Rossi, filmed in 2020
  • Archive interview with production coordinator Golda Offenheim, filmed in 2003
  • Archive interview with star Paul Smith, filmed in 2008
  • Archive interview with make-up effects artist Christopher Tucker
*** EXTRAS STILL IN PRODUCTION AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE ***

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Dune

#2 Post by tenia » Fri May 28, 2021 10:45 am

I quite like this visual, but since I'm only now starting to buy some stuff again after 18 months of unemployment, that's the movie I went all in and bought the Zavvi Steelbook LE with a riff on an original visual I like much less. Oh well.
I do hope however that Arrow going under The Hut isn't going to mean all the bigger titles are going to have humpteen different releases, especially with Zavvi exclusives. This seems a bit overkill but also cumbersome for the consumers to some extent. It's also weird on one hand having to push back some releases in order to avoid repeating QC issues while quadruplicating a new release (though at least the discs will be identical but still, that's 4 references to handle). I'm also unsure how I feel about Arrow now handling UHD DFs this way, regular releases forcing to make a choice on the format but Zavvi exclusives offering DFs. There's of course no One Size Fits All solution for Arrow, but still, this feels again a bit cumbersome on the consumer side.

On a side note, I don't really care myself about the TV cut for whatever reason, so that's at least one complaint less from me (though I'm not so much complaining as being perplexed by this deluge of versions).

dwk

#3 Post by dwk » Fri May 28, 2021 11:26 am

tenia, which Steelbook did you go for, the regular limited edition

or

the deluxe limited edition that comes in a slipcase and has both the booklet from the regular limited edition and a "100-page perfect-bound book featuring original pre-production concepts and designs by Anthony Masters and Ron Miller, and an interview with Masters from the film’s press kit"

That question is to say that I completely agree with you about the obnoxiousness of multiple versions that, after last month's True Romance, appears to be something that Arrow will do with their "big" titles.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4 Post by tenia » Fri May 28, 2021 12:24 pm

I went with the Deluxe Steelbook with the 100 pages book (ie the most expensive release).

I would have liked do the same on True Romance, because again the DF but also because the regular LE new visual is godawful (Arquette looks nice but Slater not so much), but it's already sold out so I guess I'll get the "regular LE" anyway.

yoloswegmaster

#5 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:18 pm

The documentary from Ballyhoo titled "The Sleeper Must Awaken: Making Dune" has now been removed due to production issues.

J Wilson

#6 Post by J Wilson » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:06 pm

Disappointing. I was looking forward to seeing that along with the other new extras.

Adam X

#7 Post by Adam X » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:24 pm

Well that’s really unfortunate. You’d think there’d be a good reason behind this, but maybe it’s been so long since they licensed Dune, they simply couldn’t wait another couple of months?
Daniel Griffith (Ballyhoo) wrote:Unforeseen issues delayed the completion of the documentary. It needed a few more weeks.

jsteffe

#9 Post by jsteffe » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:36 am

Wow! I didn't get one when I saw it in the theaters.

Even at that time, when I was in high school, I didn't find the film that hard to follow and I hadn't read the novel. Sure, you have to pay attention and a casual viewer might miss some connections, but I never bought into the idea that the film was "incomprehensible."

FrauBlucher

#10 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:25 pm

Bumstead

#11 Post by Bumstead » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:17 am

J Wilson wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:06 pm
Disappointing. I was looking forward to seeing that along with the other new extras.
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:18 pm
The documentary from Ballyhoo titled "The Sleeper Must Awaken: Making Dune" has now been removed due to production issues.
Got my 4K Limited Edition (slipcase).

Watched ALL the supplements on the second disc (blu-ray).

Boy, did the missing "making-off" feature leave a big gaping hole.

For a "Limited Edition", the Arrow supplements are, well, quite limited. The "merchandising" doc is standard fare, at best. "Scoring" doc provides real insights: Toto fumbled around, but ultimately delivered a memorable score. Out of the "additional interviews", the raw comments from the Production Manager and the Makeup Artist give you a far better understanding of behind-the-scenes problems. Great anecdotes too!

It all feels incomplete...seems like Arrow was leaning heavily on the Ballyhoo "making-of" to cover all bases. Of course, this never came to pass—Arrow just couldn't wait; or could they? (Koch Media's German releases will include the doc, but importing will cost you a kidney).

P.S. Out of the two commentaries, I found Mike White to be more engaging. IMHO, Paul Sammon was a bit self-indulgent (talking at length about himself). Some of his stories are valuable, but I didn't find him to be an easy listen overall.

J Wilson

#12 Post by J Wilson » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:13 am

Bumstead wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:17 am
J Wilson wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:06 pm
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:18 pm
Got my 4K Limited Edition (slipcase).

Watched ALL the supplements on the second disc (blu-ray).

Boy, did the missing "making-off" feature leave a big gaping hole.

For a "Limited Edition", the Arrow supplements are, well, quite limited. The "merchandising" doc is standard fare, at best. "Scoring" doc provides real insights: Toto fumbled around, but ultimately delivered a memorable score. Out of the "additional interviews", the raw comments from the Production Manager and the Makeup Artist give you a far better understanding of behind-the-scenes problems. Great anecdotes too!

It all feels incomplete...seems like Arrow was leaning heavily on the Ballyhoo "making-of" to cover all bases. Of course, this never came to pass—Arrow just couldn't wait; or could they? (Koch Media's German releases will include the doc, but importing will cost you a kidney).

P.S. Out of the two commentaries, I found Mike White to be more engaging. IMHO, Paul Sammon was a bit self-indulgent (talking at length about himself). Some of his stories are valuable, but I didn't find him to be an easy listen overall.
I haven't actually dug into my set yet because of other stuff going on, but I'm not surprised about the extras. I will probably get the German edition if it has the documentary, as this is the one movie I collect multiple editions of (sad as that is), so what's one more if it has something unique? I'd rather Arrow had just waited of course, unless they felt they absolutely had to release ahead of the new film for whatever reason.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#13 Post by swo17 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:03 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Arrow eventually release the doc as a standalone. It would fit with other releases like the Harryhausen doc, Clapboard Jungle, and Future Shock

Bumstead

#14 Post by Bumstead » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:17 pm

J Wilson wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:13 am
I will probably get the German edition if it has the documentary, as this is the one movie I collect multiple editions of (sad as that is), so what's one more if it has something unique?
Makes total sense. And pretty sure you're not alone in being obsessive about a particular movie ;)
swo17 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:03 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if Arrow eventually release the doc as a standalone.
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#15 Post by Drucker » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:15 am

Watched this film last night in preparation for seeing the new version this Friday. I've never read Dune, nor am I particularly a scifi lover but I found this film fine, enjoyable, and certainly the most interesting parts where the Lynchian flourishes (repeated flashbacks, experimental moments, the droplets of water). I found Machlachan's performance excellent, especially in the last third of the film. Where the film falters for me was mostly in the action sequences, especially the battle in the middle which just seemed kind of messy and featured what felt like very little dramatics or stakes. There are also some real tonal challenges, with Patrick Stewart acting like a stereotypical military captain, where as the Duke and especially his son have a more spaced out attitude.

Don't know that I'll ever be inclined to revisit, but glad to get an idea of what the big deal is about.

beamish14

#16 Post by beamish14 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:16 am

Drucker wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:15 am
certainly the most interesting parts where the Lynchian flourishes (repeated flashbacks, experimental moments, the droplets of water).
I've always loved the recurring opening with stars/night sky motif that he uses in this, Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, and The Straight Story. The visual effects are a big hodgepodge, but some of the establishing shots with the Guild are just sublime. I love the little comedic moments like Linda Hunt's introduction and low caste workers mopping up after the Guild Navigator as well.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#17 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:05 pm

J Wilson wrote:
I will probably get the German edition if it has the documentary, as this is the one movie I collect multiple editions of (sad as that is), so what's one more if it has something unique?
I just saw a post on Arrow's Facebook page about the German release of Dune. It does add the documentary, as well as the first official release of the 179-minute "Spicediver" fan edit

therewillbeblus

#18 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:23 pm

That's pretty cool- I imagine that's just splicing the deleted scenes into the finished film?

Finch

#19 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:04 pm

For those curious, that edit is on YouTube in standard definition. Took me mere seconds to find it via Google.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#20 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:23 pm

Apparently it will be in 720p on the Koch release

J Wilson

#21 Post by J Wilson » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:10 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:05 pm
J Wilson wrote:
I just saw a post on Arrow's Facebook page about the German release of Dune. It does add the documentary, as well as the first official release of the 179-minute "Spicediver" fan edit
I immediately checked my copy out thinking I couldn't have missed that, and after finding that my edition has the documentary, but not the Spicediver edit, I found online that Koch just released a super deluxe edition that has extra discs the normal UHD release does not, and this version does indeed have the Spicediver edit and and several other things extras-wise. Unfortunately, it's exclusive to their web store and they don't ship outside Europe. Someone on ebay has already sold several dozen copies at $250 a pop (regular price is 99 euros). I think I need to find a proxy service, because I'm not paying that ridiculous markup for a copy.

aox

#22 Post by aox » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:52 am

swo17 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:05 pm
Fan edits are now getting official releases? Is this precedented? Legally, does Lynch or Herbert's estate have to sign off on that?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#23 Post by tenia » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:01 am

There's the Raising Cain fan-edit, but I seem to recall it was OKed by DePalma.

dwk

#24 Post by dwk » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:54 pm

Arrow has included what should rightfully be called "fan edits" on a number of their limited edition releases. Almost anytime they slap together two or more versions of a film (like theatrical and television or US and international) to create a longer cut it should be regarded as a fan edit.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:34 pm

The longer cut of At Long Last Love was initially compiled by a Fox employee from the outtakes in the vault and then inadvertently added to public rotation. Bogdanovich’s eventual “official” longer version is nearly identical, with just one number substituted for another