New Australian DVD and BD Releases

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
L.A.

Re: New Australian DVD and BD Releases

#1676 Post by L.A. » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:24 am

Stone (Sandy Harbutt, 1974) coming from Umbrella Entertainment in April.

Adam X

#1677 Post by Adam X » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:21 pm

Also coming in April is Umbrella's next Beyond Genres title, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover.

Along with Bad Boy Bubby, it feels like they're expanding the type of films being included in this line. Personally, I think it'd be more interesting to see them digging into more Australian genre-tinged films like Rolf de Heer's Epsilon & Incident at Raven's Gate for new addtions. No label's given local cinema as much ongoing attention as Umbrella, but they tend not to stay in-print for very long, unfortunately.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1678 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:11 pm

Adam X wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:21 pm
Also coming in April is Umbrella's next Beyond Genres title, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover.
What's the quality of the UK Blu-ray, and do we have reason to expect the Umbrella to be an improvement?

Adam X

#1679 Post by Adam X » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:35 pm

I’ve got the UK disc but not watched it yet. My memory of what I found online at the time is that it’s decent, but it’s an old master (though I might just be thinking of the description in this review). Given Umbrella’s track record with international films, I wouldn’t expect it to be any better than what’s currently out there.

Happy to be proven wrong though, and I’m curious what the included doco might be like.

Fiery Angel

#1680 Post by Fiery Angel » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:35 pm

Adam X

#1681 Post by Adam X » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:21 am

Of course it is. Thanks.

jazzo

New Australian DVD and BD Releases

#1682 Post by jazzo » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:16 pm

Not really sure where to post, but here seems as good a place as any.

JB-HI-fi, based out of Australia, are having a buy-two-get-the-third-free sale, so if you have your eye on any Imprint or Umbrella/Sunburnt editions, now might be a good time to stock up.

The Canadian dollar is par with the Australian, so I picked up Imprint’s edition of Breakdown, Sunburnt’s The Last Wave, and got the two disc theatrical/definitive Director’s Cut of Last of the Mohicans free, for a total of $67, shipping included.

You’ll just have to wait a couple of months for delivery.

Yakushima

#1683 Post by Yakushima » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:46 pm

Thank you for the heads-up about the sale, jazzo! I ordered We of the Never Never, Breakdown and The Last Wave for ~$56 including shipping to the US. Great deal!

jazzo

#1684 Post by jazzo » Wed May 19, 2021 11:31 am

Another quick heads up that JB HI-FI is having a buy one, get one free sale until May 26, so a really great time to catch up stuff that's exclusive to Australia.

Some suggestions beyond the Imprint and Umbrella's Beyond Genres/Sunburnt/Ozploitation titles:

Umbrella's BIG NIGHT blu-ray is region free and way better looking than that old US DVD. Bare-bones, though.

They also have the COMPLETE AMAZING STORIES DVD set, which my kids and I are having a blast going through.

If I think of any others, I'll update.

L.A.

#1685 Post by L.A. » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:38 am

Umbrella Entertainment wrote:
It’s official! Our new collection ‘Sensual Sinema’ has launched. Sensual Sinema will bring seductive favourites to life on Blu-ray with exclusive special features, O-ring packaging and artwork. Our #1 volume invites you to sneak into the dressing room and slide into a stage-side seat as Nomi, Cristal and the uninhibited Showgirls troupe leave nothing to the imagination. This uncut Blu-Ray release exposes Showgirls in all its sexy, crazy, flamboyant glory.

Pre-order now: https://bit.ly/3l4mUaD

Special features:
YOU DON'T NOMI Jeffrey McHale's feature-length documentary exploring the legacy of Showgirls
The Greatest Movie Ever Made audio commentary with Showgirls expert David Schmader
Showgirls Diary: Animated storyboard-to-film comparison of three scenes, including sketches by the director
Interview with Paul Verhoeven
Speech by Paul Verhoeven at the Razzie Awards
Theatrical Trailer

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1686 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:25 am

Wouldn’t even the film’s most ardent defenders agree that there’s nothing “erotic” or “sensual” about Showgirls?

Matt

#1687 Post by Matt » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:06 pm

Cristal: I don't know how good it is darlin', and I don't know what it is it’s good for, but if it's Showgirls, it's not “sensual” or “erotic,” I know that much.

Nomi: You don't know SHIT! (scarfs french fries, throws up, thrashes wildly)

L.A.

#1688 Post by L.A. » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:47 pm

The Overlanders (Harry Watt, 1946) coming in the Sunburnt Screens series next month.

Extras:

• Audio commentary with Screenwriter and Film Historian Stephen Vagg
• The Cattle Story (1955) – documentary featurette
• Original theatrical trailer
• Still gallery
• Kangaroo (1952) – bonus featurette & audio commentary by Screenwriter and Film Historian Stephen Vagg

This is stacked compared to the UK Blu-ray from Network which only has an image gallery.

L.A.

#1689 Post by L.A. » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:31 am

Umbrella Entertainment wrote:We have a new collection to add to the table 'World Cinema' with the first release IDA coming out in October.

World Cinema will bring some of the best international cinema to your screens on Blu-ray with exclusive special features, O-ring packaging and artwork. Our volume #1 follows the story of a novice nun, who is about to take her vows when she uncovers a family secret dating back to the German occupation.

See more here: https://bit.ly/2Wtmr7y

IDA was the recipient of the 2015 Oscar® for Best Foreign Language Film.

FrauBlucher

#1690 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:33 am

swo17 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:11 pm
Adam X wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:21 pm
What's the quality of the UK Blu-ray, and do we have reason to expect the Umbrella to be an improvement?
bluray.com... I would wait for the rumored Criterion

L.A.

#1691 Post by L.A. » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:58 am

For the first time, Black and White comes to life on Blu-ray as part of our Sunburnt Screens collection. This release showcases an exclusive restoration and extensive special features, such as a seminar about the the Max Stuart case featuring Geoffrey Robertson QC and former High Court Justice Michael Kirby AC CMG.

Pre-order: https://bit.ly/3C4Hflw

Based on a harrowing true story from 1958, Indigenous man Max Stuart (David Ngoombujarra) is tried for the murder of a young white girl in rural South Australia. Stuart is sentenced to be executed despite a distinct lack of evidence except for a confession he signed although not being able to read English.

Special features:
Politics, power and justice and the media: Controversies from the Stuart Case – a seminar featuring Geoffrey Robertson QC and former High Court Justice Michael Kirby AC CMG
Original electronic press kit with case and crew interviews
7:30 Report (ABC) segment on the Max Stuart case
Deleted scenes
Interview with Max Stuart
Theatrical trailer