All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
black&huge

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1276 Post by black&huge » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:01 am

So is the Sony BDP-S3700 the best choice to go with if I don't need anything fancy butjust something reliable and fairly cheap in the $100-150 range?

ianthemovie

#1277 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:51 am

I'm pretty sure this is the one I've had since 2018, and it's worked great for me. It's compact, sets up easily and has played everything for me without any issues. Its streaming capabilities are pretty poor, though. Can get a bit loud sometimes too (I have it resting on a small paperback book to muffle the noise).

willoneill

#1278 Post by willoneill » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:17 pm

One question for those with the Sony BDP-S3700: I'm looking at buying one soon, not because my Seiki no longer works, but because more and more discs just won't play properly (and there's no firmware updates for Seikis). As far as I can deduce, the discs I'm having issues with fall into two categories; 1) discs whose main features have higher than average bitrates (Some of Eureka's Buster Keatons, Five Graves to Cairo, etc.), and 2) Indicator releases that use seamless branching (the first Fu Manchu film, Sweet Charity). Has anyone with an S3700 been able to play these?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#1279 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:30 pm

I have one and I've been able to play Sweet Charity with no problem. As for high bitrates, I know that Diskino usually has pretty high bitrates on their titles and I've never had any issues with them. The Black Cannon Incident and The Horse Thief both clock in at almost exactly 38 Mbps, compared to 37.91 for Kino's Five Graves to Cairo and 36.91 for MoC's. I agree with ianthemovie about its weak streaming capabilities, but so many TVs have that built in these days, and if yours doesn't it's still a bargain to use the Sony for region-free playback and pick up a Roku or Chromecast or whatever.

willoneill

#1280 Post by willoneill » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:42 pm

Thanks, much appreciated. No worries about streaming, this will only be used exclusively for Region B/2 discs, as I use an Apple TV for streaming and another Sony for UHD and Region A/1 discs.